ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUSS - Certificate of Application and travel

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jestew
Mood:
United States of America

EUSS - Certificate of Application and travel

Post by jestew » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:35 am

Hi All,

I've dug around attempting to find information on this topic but not uncovered much. So I'm asking directly as a new topic. If anyone can point me to where this has been answered before - thanks and apologies for not doing enough digging.

My question relates to the CoA that is supplied when applying as the non-EEA member for a Settled Status application (Surinder Singh route - wife is British citizen). My 5-year residence permit expired end of Aug just before I sent in my application for SS. Today, I received an email response to my complaint stating that the CoA was just sent in the post.

I have urgent personal travel (my mom's husband died last week) and I wanted to know if the CoA provides any useful evidence at the border that means I can re-enter the UK: a code 1A stamp? or temporary leave to remain? or??? I'm trying to understand both what rights I may have but also what is the likely response of the border officials.

I was told by someone at the resolution centre that the CoA was not a travel document and would not enable me to leave and re-enter.

Having been turned away at Heathrow in 2013 and spent 3-months without a home trying to sort out re-entering the UK - I don't want to repeat.

Thanks!
09/05/14 EEA FP granted
26/08/14 EEA RP granted
23/08/19 SS Application submitted
24/09/19 Biometrics submitted
06/11/19: CoA
21/11/19: Email that Settled Status granted
22/11/19: BRC by courier

Topsibelle

Re: EU Settlement Scheme - Certificate of Application and travel

Post by Topsibelle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:48 pm

COA will not grant you entry back into the UK

jestew
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jestew » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:06 pm

Topsibelle wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:48 pm
COA will not grant you entry back into the UK
Thank you for the reply. I'm confused then why UKVI does not send out the CoA when they state they will - after receiving the biometrics. My biometrics were sent in 6 weeks ago and I had to get my MP to contact them and I had to file a complaint just to get them to send me the CoA.
09/05/14 EEA FP granted
26/08/14 EEA RP granted

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:09 pm

Right of entry is a personal and individual right which is independent of the issuance of a particular document.

You may be concerned based on your previous experience, but you must appreciate that no two cases are the same. Your circumstances that led to your previous refusal may well be different from the one at present.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

jestew
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jestew » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Thanks Obie,

Having just received my CoA today it states very clearly - You can continue to rely on any rights you have ... as the family member of an EU citizen. This was for me the missing bit that meant I could clearly show the border officials at Heathrow something that shows I am a family member of someone exercising EU treaty rights and I want to join them in the UK and ask for a code 1A stamp.

Without this all I would have is an expired Residence Permit and my marriage certificate to my UK wife. But this document connects it to the rights I have as a family member of an EU citizen.

I recognize that the paper does not give me any rights - it simply acknowledges the rights, and that for me is a big deal.

Or am I completely misunderstanding things?
09/05/14 EEA FP granted
26/08/14 EEA RP granted