ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel between BC ceremony & applying for BC passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ElleW
Newly Registered
Australia

Travel between BC ceremony & applying for BC passport

Post by ElleW » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi everyone

This is my 2nd post but Ii am thankful to you all for this helpful forum. I just added my naturalisation processing timeline which was only 5 weeks from application to approval. Was impressed with how fast the turnaround was, and how - relative to the ILR process - straightforward the BC application was. I'm looking forward to having dual citizenship like the rest of my family!

But now I'm a tad confused. I have my approval letters and an appointment for a private ceremony (first group available was in late December). It's coming up to holiday season and I have work travel booked for mid November, holiday Dec/Jan and work travel in February next year.

I am trying to 'line my ducks up' and would appreciate some clarity if anyone can offer it.

Here's a draft timeline for applying for BC first passport:
  • Citizenship ceremony / certificate 15 November,
  • Return my BRP 16 November (I understand I can't use this once I have the certificate?)
  • *Travel to and from the continent for work for 4 days on Australian passport*
  • Submit BC application online 21 November
  • Send supporting documents off 22 November
  • Cross my fingers for 3-4 weeks
  • Xmas travel to continent with Australian and BC passports end Dec/start Jan
  • Work Travel start Feb 2020
My worry is how do I travel as a BC without a UK visa/IRL/ BC passport particularly in November between citizenship certificate receipt and passport application. What kind of problems should I consider with travelling on my Australian passport while having BC certificate...?

In all this time I really only have 2 tight windows of approx 4 weeks in the next 3 months where I don't have pre-existing travel commitments. So hoping I have picked the best of a tricky bunch... what do you think?

Many thanks in advance

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Travel between BC ceremony & applying for BC passport

Post by zimba » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:45 pm

You can travel back to the UK without having any issues with airlines as Australians are non-visa nationals. Carry your certificate of naturalisation and do not use the eGates. Simply go to immigration desk and explain to border officer that you are a British citizen so that you are admitted as a citizen rather than a visitor. DO NOT apply for British passport until you return from your trip as you need to send your certificate of naturalisation to HMPO for a British passport application. :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

ElleW
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by ElleW » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:45 pm
Carry your certificate of naturalisation and do not use the eGates. Simply go to immigration desk and explain to border officer that you are a British citizen waiting for your British passport so that you are admitted as a citizen rather than a visitor.
that's super reassuring advice, thank you @Zimba.
And also your point not to apply for a passport before returning from this next trip. noted.
Last edited by ElleW on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:48 pm

DO NOT apply for British passport until you return from your trip as you need to send your certificate of naturalisation to HMPO for a British passport application.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

ElleW
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by ElleW » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:49 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:48 pm
DO NOT apply for British passport until you return from your trip as you need to send your certificate of naturalisation to HMPO for a British passport application.
noted, thank you. :)