ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR via EEA route after Brexit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

WenSquare
Newly Registered

PR via EEA route after Brexit

Post by WenSquare » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi all,

I recently applied for PR under the EEA route and just received the card in the post today. I am a non-EEA national and married to a Swedish citizen. Both of us have lived and worked in the UK for over 10 years now.

This might have been asked by others already, could someone provide some gudiance on whether Brexit will affect my PR status given that it is issued under the EU regulation?

Thanks in advance for any advices!

kamoe
European Union

Re: PR via EEA route after Brexit

Post by kamoe » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:15 pm

WenSquare wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:08 pm
This might have been asked by others already, could someone provide some gudiance on whether Brexit will affect my PR status given that it is issued under the EU regulation?
Unless you qualify for British Citizenship and complete the appropriate application to become British before June 2021, you both need to apply for the Settlement Scheme if you want to continue living in the UK after that date.

You might need to do this sooner as your PR will not be valid after December 2020. This is clearly stated in the EEA Permanent Residence card page:
Your residence card will not be valid after 31 December 2020. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you want to continue living in the UK.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:47 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:15 pm

You might need to do this sooner as your PR will not be valid after December 2020. This is clearly stated in the EEA Permanent Residence card page:
Your residence card will not be valid after 31 December 2020. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you want to continue living in the UK.
Not that I’m suggesting to wait, but I’m wondering if these deadlines will be extended at the end. When they were published Brexit was supposed to happen in March (?), leaving almost 2 (2.5 years) for smooth transition after Brexit. Now we are almost one year ahead and I understand they keep saying that cards won’t be valid, but one can say this is shall be Brexit date dependent anyway.

Sorry, just a thought...

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:05 am

iwolga wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:47 pm
Not that I’m suggesting to wait, but I’m wondering if these deadlines will be extended at the end.
For the purpose of answering questions, these are the deadlines that are in operation now, hence the correct way to answer. The rest is speculation.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.