ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EEA Family Members Settlement Scheme Confusion

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sean015
Newly Registered
United States of America

Non-EEA Family Members Settlement Scheme Confusion

Post by sean015 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi,

I am an Irish citizen living in the UK. I already have my non-EEA family members with me here, and they entered the UK on an EEA Family Permit. They are having trouble figuring out how to apply to the EU settlement scheme. They tried the phone app to prove their identity but it keeps telling them that they are "British citizens" already and can't apply to the scheme, which is not true. They tried to make an appointment with a scanning centre but the centre said they need to start the application first. However, the page that is linked from the settlement scheme page seems to only allow you to begin the application only after using the phone to prove your identity, which isn't working. Is there a different place to start the application and get an appointment for passport scanning and biometrics that does not require the phone app?

Thank you to anyone who can clear up the confusion!

kamoe
European Union

Re: Non-EEA Family Members Settlement Scheme Confusion

Post by kamoe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:12 am

sean015 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:06 pm
Is there a different place to start the application and get an appointment for passport scanning and biometrics that does not require the phone app?
The only way to scan a passport is using the app. The option that involves going to a scanning center, basically consists of someone else using the app for you:
Go to an identity document scanner location to use the app on an Android device available at the location.
So that would not solve your problem if there is a bug on the app.

If you do not want the phone app involved at any stage, select the second option "By post" https://apply-to-visit-or-stay-in-the-u ... web-or-app
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Magus1984
Mood:
Argentina

Post by Magus1984 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:17 pm

sean015 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:06 pm
Hi,

I am an Irish citizen living in the UK. I already have my non-EEA family members with me here, and they entered the UK on an EEA Family Permit. They are having trouble figuring out how to apply to the EU settlement scheme. They tried the phone app to prove their identity but it keeps telling them that they are "British citizens" already and can't apply to the scheme, which is not true. They tried to make an appointment with a scanning centre but the centre said they need to start the application first. However, the page that is linked from the settlement scheme page seems to only allow you to begin the application only after using the phone to prove your identity, which isn't working. Is there a different place to start the application and get an appointment for passport scanning and biometrics that does not require the phone app?

Thank you to anyone who can clear up the confusion!
Hi there,
I had exactly the same issue as non-eu citizen with a sticker (residence card as family member of EU citizen) the app kept saying that I was a "British Citizen" and would not work with my non-eu passport either.

I called the resolution center who advised to go online and select the "apply by post" and continue with the process online. You will then be asked to book an appointment to give your fingerprints and you can upload a picture of the non-eu passport and when you go to the appointment they check your passport and that's it.There is no need to send anything by post.
I have now received my COA and I am waiting for a decision on my application.
I hope this helps.

Magus1984
Mood:
Argentina

Post by Magus1984 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:49 pm

Also I should have said, it helps if you (the EU citizen) applies for settled status first and then your partner can link her application to yours. Otherwise if she applies by herself she might get asked to send your passport/EU Id card as proof of your identity.
Good luck
Magus