ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving back to Canada

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

awilliams123
Newly Registered

Moving back to Canada

Post by awilliams123 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi there, I'm a Canadian citizen married to Brit living in the UK and we've decided to move back to Canada. My question is once he (husband) has his permanent residency, how long do we have to actually 'move' to Canada. I'm thinking that once we've sorted out my husband's papers we'd need to tie up loose ends here before we move. Also I've heard that once you have the green light, you can go to Canada, get your stamp and return to the UK and carry working etc for some time until you actually do the 'move'. Is this true? Anyone done this before?

We'd both be leaving our jobs here in Britain not to mention have a lot to sort out before we leave, even look for work in Canada so we're not out of work too long, so if there's a way to do this I 'd sure like to know.

awilliams123
Newly Registered

Post by awilliams123 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Does no one out there know anything about this???

dearness
Newly Registered

Post by dearness » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:51 am

Hi there

I'm in the same situation, I'm a Canadian that's lived in the UK for the past 9 years, returning in September with my British husband.

The amount of time you have to move once your husband has his PR is based on the date of his medical. You have one year from the date of the medical to move. I.e. the PR will be valid for one year, from the date of the medical, not the date of issue of the PR. So, say he has his medical tomorrow and you submit the application in December, you will have until July 2009 to move. This is why all the advice is to get the medical as the absolutely last thing to do before you submit, so that you can have approximately a year to move.

It doesn't take long to process spousal visas here in the UK. Ours was very straightforward (loads of evidence that we have a genuine relationship) and took just 2 months from the time of posting.

I don't know what the rule around going, getting your landed immigrant status and then returning to the UK are, other than you can not be out of the Canada for a certain number of days in the first three years (sorry, i don't have the number to hand).

The other thing to bear in mind is, if you're moving to a province which requires you to buy health insurance for the first 3 months before your provincial insurance kicks in (eg. Ontario), you can only be out of the country for, i think, about 40 days in the first 6 months.

Hope this helps and good luck with it all.

markdrocker
Newly Registered

Landing vs Actually Moving

Post by markdrocker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:49 am

“Landingâ€

markdrocker
Newly Registered

Returning after Leaving Without Permanent Residence Card

Post by markdrocker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:09 am

awilliams123 wrote:…I've heard that once you have the green light, you can go to Canada, get your stamp and return to the UK and carry working etc for some time until you actually do the 'move'. Is this true?
Yes. After landing, he can leave Canada anytime. The hassle is getting back into Canada after leaving without his Perm Res Card. The rules intend for him to re-enter Canada with his Perm Res Card in hand. However, that card is typically issued 20-30 days after landing, and it must be delivered only via Canada Post to a Canadian address.

OPTION 1: HAVE IT MAILED TO UK
He lands in Canada, gives Canadian address of your relative/friend in Canada (you are a Canadian citizen and know people in Canada, right?), then he enjoys Canada for a brief visit, might as well apply for a SIN number while he’s there, then returns to UK before Perm Res Card arrives at relative’s/friend’s address about 20-30 days later. When relative/friend receives Card, they mail it to him in UK. Now he can re-enter Canada anytime with Card in hand.

* Personally, I would NOT choose Option 1, even though it is so easy, because a lost shipment could be devastating.

OPTION 2: NICE HOLIDAY WITH COURIER (WIFE)
Same as Option1, except: When relative/friend receives Card, they hold it until both of you are ready to actually move (within 3 years of landing to sustain renewable Permanent Residence). On moving day, you (Canadian citizen) fly solo for a brief visit to your relative/friend in Canada and pick up the Card in person. Your husband flies solo to a nice vacation destination outside Canada, and you meet him there with the Card. After a nice holiday, he can re-enter Canada anytime with Card in hand.

* If the extra flights/vacations are too expensive for you, maybe you can adjust Option 2 so that he flies solo to a Canadian airport instead of a foreign vacation destination, and you will be there waiting for him in the airport having picked up the Card in advance, and maybe you can figure out a way to deliver the Card to him while he is stuck in the customs/immigration area of the airport. You should verify this plan in advance with the customs/immigration dept at your chosen airport. If they approve your delivery to someone stuck in the customs/immigration area, then the Card will definitely enable him to walk right through all those customs/immigration officers who initially detained him.

There may be other paths to buy more time before your move, but they are unattractive, and likely frowned upon by immigration officers.

1) If you cannot arrange a Canadian address before landing, perhaps he can land without one, but he “mustâ€