ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PLEASE HELP! I'm moving to Canada in one month!

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nerak
Newly Registered

PLEASE HELP! I'm moving to Canada in one month!

Post by nerak » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:36 am

I am from the Bahamas, born and raised, never lived a day in Canada. I have my Canadian citizenship because I have Canadian parents - both of which were also born abroad, but have Canadian parents who were born in Canada.
Now, I've gotten my Canadian citizenship certificate (card) and my Canadian passport. Are there ANY other documents I need with me when I make my move? I still don't have a social security number or any tax status.
Thanks for your help!

markdrocker
Newly Registered

Post by markdrocker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:20 am

With your proof of citizenship, you will not be denied entry.

Apply for SIN number (same as social security number) after you arrive in Canada. Bring your birth certificate too, but they will likely give you a SIN number with proof of citizenship only.

Tax status? I do not think you need any tax status prior to earning income in Canada.

To import your personal items without paying duties/taxes, use Forms B4 and B4A to list all items you bring with you on your first arrival, and use new copies of Forms B4 and B4A to list all your items that will arrive later via mail or via your future entries into Canada. You must present these lists on your FIRST arrival---changes to those lists will not be accepted after first arrival. See http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 5-eng.html

You may be asked to show proof of your funds to cover living expenses such as rent, food, clothing and transportation for a six-month period.

More info at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/ ... /index.asp (You do not need the Canadian immigrant visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence referred to in the link above, because you have proof of citizenship)