ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh EEA Family Permit (URGENT PLEASE)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Surinder Singh (PLEASE ADVICE)

Post by Eli123 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Hello,

I need advise please. I will be applying for Surinder Singh in few months; hopefully I will have time before the brexit, however I would like to ask about the employment requirements.

I am a british citizen living in France and my husband has a french resident card. We are planning to move to the UK.

I am working twice a week so two hours per a week. Is this enough for the Surinder Singh application? Because my weekly earning is less than €40.00. But my husband earns more. I have been advised to show at least 3 months payslips.

Please advise me as I am worried if that amount and hour is enough for the Surinder Singh application?

I was advised that myself and my husband have to show proof of rent/contract, utility bills, payslips and bank statements and other relevant documents and we have all that.

Thanks 🤗

Obie
Ireland

Re: Surinder Singh (PLEASE ADVICE)

Post by Obie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:59 pm

A 40*Euro a week job is neither genuine nor can it be described by any reasonable person as effective.

You are better off getting a medical insurance and place reliance on your husband's income.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I do private teaching and the agency provides payslips so they send you to private lessons depends how many students you teach. That is the reason that the weekly earning is less because I only work with a family and they require 2 hours lesson each week. However I have applied for other families as well.

How much would you think is minimum required weekly?

I do have a online job however they do not provide payslips so I cannot count that.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:30 pm

Also last year the solicitor said that it does not matter how much you earn. But obviously I am still worried.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Eli123 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:30 pm
Also last year the solicitor said that it does not matter how much you earn......
And it is something I argued here a lot as well. However if your lawyer says £40 a week I sufficient, I will be tempted to respectfully disagree with him or her, as that is in effect work that is marginal and ancillary. It is not meaningful work.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Last year when I spoke to the solicitor she said for example €100 weekly will be fine.

How much is efficient? So if I cannot earn the required amount what would you recommend, like do I have to show myself as ‘self sufficient‘?

My husband earns €1200 monthly. I have a health cover in France which I don't pay for which is free for myself.

worrieduk
United Kingdom

Post by worrieduk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:40 pm

You can be self-employed or a student too. I studied at a language school for a couple of months. This also shows your integration in the member state. You need CSI (comprehensive sickness insurance) for being a student though.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have health card in France which is free for myself would that not be acceptable?

I did register at a language school and went few days and had to leave but might re apply.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:42 pm

I know that part time job is acceptable for the surinder singh application. Any one know how much weekly is required minimum?

worrieduk
United Kingdom

Post by worrieduk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Eli123 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:42 pm
I know that part time job is acceptable for the surinder singh application. Any one know how much weekly is required minimum?
I’ve read somewhere that €160 a week is a good amount to earn.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Thank you for the information. Do they need a employment contract or is payslip enough? I know what else is needed I have checked the list.

worrieduk
United Kingdom

Post by worrieduk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:57 pm

Eli123 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:44 pm
Thank you for the information. Do they need a employment contract or is payslip enough? I know what else is needed I have checked the list.
I think if you can provide as much information as possible it'll look better. Payslips should be enough though. My application was a little different though.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:32 pm

Thank you. I do have 2 payslips but it is less than £100 so will have to do more hours or find something else.

I also do a online job but they don’t provide payslips and I get paid to my bank so I guess this cannot be accepted for the application.

Will do my best. Hope I will be lucky before the brexit deadline 🙏🏻

worrieduk
United Kingdom

Post by worrieduk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:53 pm

Eli123 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:32 pm
Thank you. I do have 2 payslips but it is less than £100 so will have to do more hours or find something else.

I also do a online job but they don’t provide payslips and I get paid to my bank so I guess this cannot be accepted for the application.

You can provide bank statements too. It’s better to have clients IN the country you’re living in of course but maybe you can make the total up with your online job and your other job.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:06 am

Thanks. Yes with the online job it would make up a better total weekly earning. I am worried that it wont be enough but will see.

I will try my luck. Hopefully it wont get rejected but what happens if it does do they give you a second chance to re apply?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Eli123 wrote:

When you say you have two payslips, does that mean you only worked for two months?

If the online job is for a French company, are you regarded as self-employed for the purposes of this job?

If so, have you registered this with the relevant authorities in France?

For an EU worker in the UK, a guideline of £166/week over a time span of three months or more is given for the work to be considered as 'genuine and effective', I guess that similar would also apply to a Surinder Singh application but I am happy to be corrected there.

I used to also see guidelines of 16 hours per week minimum, but can't find it anywhere. In any case, every case is judged on its own merit, so it's up to you to explain how working two hours per week is a genuine and effective job.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:39 pm

ALKB wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:29 pm
Eli123 wrote:

When you say you have two payslips, does that mean you only worked for two months?

If the online job is for a French company, are you regarded as self-employed for the purposes of this job?

For an EU worker in the UK, a guideline of £166/week over a time span of three months or more is given for the work to be considered as 'genuine and effective', I guess that similar would also apply to a Surinder Singh application but I am happy to be corrected there.

I used to also see guidelines of 16 hours per week minimum, but can't find it anywhere. In any case, every case is judged on its own merit, so it's up to you to explain how working two hours per week is a genuine and effective job.
Thank you for the information. The online job is that they hire freelancers so it’s not a french company and I sometimes earn £100 or more which changes. I did let UK HM revenues know about the online job. The company only provide invoices so it is not payslips so the solicitor said that wont be acceptable.

The teaching job I do in France; I wished I had more students as I love doing this job however because I only have two students the total is not more than €100 weekly.

I have a payslip for the month of June and October and will receive November end of the month. They provided a contract for myself as well. So my insurance number is written on it. I work for that agency so they provide you with students to teach privately at their address. As you said the money that I am earning is not genuine. Hourly rate is €16:15 but each student requires 1 hour lesson and the students that are available are very far located.

I am so worried about the brexit deadline, it would be hard to find a extra job now 😕 I couldn't find a proper full time job because most places require full french but I speak a little. However my husband earns very well and has payslips.

I went to french language school before for few weeks.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 am

Eli123 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:39 pm
ALKB wrote:
Eli123 wrote:

Thank you for the information. The online job is that they hire freelancers so it’s not a french company and I sometimes earn £100 or more which changes. I did let UK HM revenues know about the online job. The company only provide invoices so it is not payslips so the solicitor said that wont be acceptable.

The teaching job I do in France; I wished I had more students as I love doing this job however because I only have two students the total is not more than €100 weekly.

I have a payslip for the month of June and October and will receive November end of the month. They provided a contract for myself as well. So my insurance number is written on it. I work for that agency so they provide you with students to teach privately at their address. As you said the money that I am earning is not genuine. Hourly rate is €16:15 but each student requires 1 hour lesson and the students that are available are very far located.

I am so worried about the brexit deadline, it would be hard to find a extra job now 😕 I couldn't find a proper full time job because most places require full french but I speak a little. However my husband earns very well and has payslips.

How long have you been in France? If you have a payslip for June you are probably already tax resident in France.

It's generally not where you are paid but where you are while doing the work that you have to pay taxes etc., so I am fairly certain that you should have registered in France as a freelancer of self-employed or their equivalent.

I didn't say the money you earn is not genuine. 'Genuine and effective' is what the EU uses to describe a job that makes an EU person in another EU country that they do not hold citizenship of a 'qualified person' in terms of freedom of movement as a worker.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 am

ALKB wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:16 am
Eli123 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:39 pm
ALKB wrote:
Eli123 wrote:

How long have you been in France? If you have a payslip for June you are probably already tax resident in France.

It's generally not where you are paid but where you are while doing the work that you have to pay taxes etc., so I am fairly certain that you should have registered in France as a freelancer of self-employed or their equivalent.

I didn't say the money you earn is not genuine. 'Genuine and effective' is what the EU uses to describe a job that makes an EU person in another EU country that they do not hold citizenship of a 'qualified person' in terms of freedom of movement as a worker.
I have been in France for 3 years so been married for 3 years so I was living in the UK for the past 18 years therefore I have studied and grew up in the UK.

I did inform the tax company about the teaching Job that I started in June, but will contact them again. However in regards to the Freelancer job (online job) I did not inform about that but will inform, only UK tax company knows about it.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Eli123 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 am
ALKB wrote:

I have been in France for 3 years so been married for 3 years so I was living in the UK for the past 18 years therefore I have studied and grew up in the UK.

I did inform the tax company about the teaching Job that I started in June, but will contact them again. However in regards to the Freelancer job (online job) I did not inform about that but will inform, only UK tax company knows about it.
Have you been working in this UK-based online job for the entire three years?

What tax company? Do you mean a tax advisor?

Freedom of movement is designed so you, the EU national, is not hampered in pursuing career/employment opportunities outside their home country. If you have been tele-commuting to the UK the entire time and only picked up an obviously marginal job in France when planning to use the Surinder Singh route back to the UK while simultaneously being probably in breach of French tax law (plus UK authorities have you on the system as working in the UK)...

I think I'll leave this to somebody more knowledgeable to untangle.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:41 am

ALKB wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:06 pm
Eli123 wrote:
ALKB wrote:

Freedom of movement is designed so you, the EU national, is not hampered in pursuing career/employment opportunities outside their home country. If you have been tele-commuting to the UK the entire time and only picked up an obviously marginal job in France when planning to use the Surinder Singh route back to the UK while simultaneously being probably in breach of French tax law (plus UK authorities have you on the system as working in the UK)...

The online job is not based in the UK, it’s based in america and have been working for the online job for about a year. It’s called Upwork and it provides an online workplace, where freelancers provide online, virtual services to companies across the globe.

So it explains that I am a independent contractor performing services as a freelancer for third party client companies through Upwork. Upwork provides an online workplace, where companies hire, manage, and pay freelancers through their web-based. The third party company is French as I applied through french job website.

UK knows that I am working in France by doing the teaching job which I did inform them that I teach 2 hours per week in Paris.

Also I did not start work because of the surinder singh route, I have been in France for 3 years and we have decided few weeks ago that we want to move back to the UK. I started the teaching job in June so I have registered myself for that company 2 years ago but the locations were far so I had to wait. So my husband supported me financially and I was a housewife during that period and I registered at the job centre before and went language school for few weeks last year.

I have applied for so many jobs for the past 3 years in france. For the teaching job I have a contract and payslips.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:22 pm

Eli123 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:41 am
ALKB wrote:
Eli123 wrote:
ALKB wrote:

The online job is not based in the UK, it’s based in america and have been working for the online job for about a year. It’s called Upwork and it provides an online workplace, where freelancers provide online, virtual services to companies across the globe.

So it explains that I am a independent contractor performing services as a freelancer for third party client companies through Upwork. Upwork provides an online workplace, where companies hire, manage, and pay freelancers through their web-based. The third party company is French as I applied through french job website.

UK knows that I am working in France by doing the teaching job which I did inform them that I teach 2 hours per week in Paris.

Also I did not start work because of the surinder singh route, I have been in France for 3 years and we have decided few weeks ago that we want to move back to the UK. I started the teaching job in June so I have registered myself for that company 2 years ago but the locations were far so I had to wait. So my husband supported me financially and I was a housewife during that period and I registered at the job centre before and went language school for few weeks last year.

I have applied for so many jobs for the past 3 years in france. For the teaching job I have a contract and payslips.
So that American company pays you your earnings before tax and then you pay tax and such to which authority/country?

HMRC in the UK or the French tax authority/URSSAF?

I am fairly certain, that you should have registered as auto-entrepreneur or mini-entrepreneur or whatever they call it nowadays, paying taxes and cotisations into the French system where applicable.

Being a housewife doesn't qualify for Surinder Singh, unfortunately. It doesn't even qualify for free movement, unless you are 'self-sufficient'. Additional private health insurance may or may not be required for this in France.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:13 pm

ALKB wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:22 pm
Eli123 wrote:
ALKB wrote:
Eli123 wrote:

So that American company pays you your earnings before tax and then you pay tax and such to which authority/country?

I am fairly certain, that you should have registered as auto-entrepreneur or mini-entrepreneur or whatever they call it nowadays, paying taxes and cotisations into the French system where applicable.

Being a housewife doesn't qualify for Surinder Singh, unfortunately. It doesn't even qualify for free movement, unless you are 'self-sufficient'. Additional private health insurance may or may not be required for this in France.
Basically each week you get deducted for example there is VAT for Service Fee so it is taken out of the weekly earning. Upwork deducts this which is based in America and I am a freelancer for the third party client through Upwork.

Upwork provides so many jobs but its not their jobs its third parties companies and the third party work with Upwork. (Hope this makes sense 😊) so you cannot pay tax to france with this job afraid. I wish I could but this company has stated that “ we strongly encouraged you to seek tax advice based on your particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor” that is what they have mentioned.

However as I have stated before for the teaching job I work once a week in Paris and the earning is not more than €100, they provide payslips and contract but obviously the earning is not enough.

I have contacted EU settlement department they have advised that I may be eligible to apply as they do not look for higher earnings so they will be looking into it and will contact me back.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Eli123 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:13 pm
ALKB wrote:
Eli123 wrote:
ALKB wrote:

Basically each week you get deducted for example there is VAT for Service Fee so it is taken out of the weekly earning. Upwork deducts this which is based in America and I am a freelancer for the third party client through Upwork.

Upwork provides so many jobs but its not their jobs its third parties companies and the third party work with Upwork. (Hope this makes sense 😊) so you cannot pay tax to france with this job afraid. I wish I could but this company has stated that “ we strongly encouraged you to seek tax advice based on your particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor” that is what they have mentioned.

However as I have stated before for the teaching job I work once a week in Paris and the earning is not more than €100, they provide payslips and contract but obviously the earning is not enough.

I have contacted EU settlement department they have advised that I may be eligible to apply as they do not look for higher earnings so they will be looking into it and will contact me back.
And did you seek tax advice in France?

Of course an American company will not pay tax for you in France. Since you are resident in France, you have to register as a freelancer/self employed in France and the French tax authority will be sure to tell you if anything needs paying. By you. Not the American company.

VAT has nothing to do with income tax.

I wish you good luck with your application.

Eli123
inactive
United Kingdom

Post by Eli123 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 pm

ALKB wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:20 pm
Eli123 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:13 pm
ALKB wrote:
Eli123 wrote:

And did you seek tax advice in France?

Of course an American company will not pay tax for you in France. Since you are resident in France, you have to register as a freelancer/self employed in France and the French tax authority will be sure to tell you if anything needs paying. By you. Not the American company.

VAT has nothing to do with income tax.

I wish you good luck with your application.
Thank you for the information and I have emailed the tax company yesterday as they are busy over the phone. So will be seeking help.

Thanks