ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Timing of Notice and Marriage - Fiance Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marrybritgal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Arab Emirates

Fiance Visa - just need input to iron out a few things before applying. Any help appreciated!

Post by marrybritgal » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi All,

I have looked through several threads and have a general idea of what is expected of the application. We were planning on marriage after both are working, and got engaged during University. Unfortunately I could not convert my student visa to work visa and had to return to home country, so we are now planning that I re enter the UK based on marriage from the outset.

We have not begun the application yet, but I will list my documents prepared to be submitted and ask my questions following that. They are mostly brief questions and just require confirmation before gaining confidence on it and spending the few thousand £s required for the application. I appreciate the questions are long, but hopefully the answers would be ok as brief and any input on any element would be very helpful. Thank you.

List of docs:
- Applicant's passport (original)
- Application Form (online)
- Copy of Sponsor's UK Travel Document (Q1)
- Cover letters (Q2)
- Sponsor declaration form (Q3)
- Appendix 2 form (Q4)
- Evidence of relationship: WhatsApp chat history, pictures together, hotel bookings together, emails, phone bill extracts, university degrees (Q5)
- Proof of knowledge of English: UK University degree
- Sponsor's financial evidence: CatA so 6mo payslips + bank statements, and letter from employer (Q6)
- Proof of accommodation: tenancy agreement (Q7)
- Evidence of planning for the marriage (Q8)

In addition, I would also appreciate any input on timing of applying, booking venue, and giving notice as this has not at all been made clear on online guidance (Q9).

Q1) My partner originally received refugee status in the UK and recently granted ILR. As she could not renew her original passport, it is with Home Office and they have instead issued her a temporary Travel Document. Would this be ok to submit along with scan of BRP info? Should I add this in the notes?

Q2) On cover letters, my main understanding is that it should state a. how we both met and got into a relationship, b. that we intend to live in the UK together permanently and why, and c. that she is happy supporting me as the sponsor and how she meets the requirement. Finally, d. the list of docs we are providing. Not too sentimental or too curt, but just ticking these boxes. Is that ok?

Q3) I have not come across this, but this would be viewable once we start filling out the online application correct? And she would have to DHL me the original signed form?

Q4) I should fill Appendix 2 form myself as the applicant?

Q5) How many pictures should we include? We have many over the past years including engagement pics. Additionally for WhatsApp we have 60+ pages of text per month for over 4 years, so I extracted a page per month in Word. Is that ok or screenshots better? For chat history, I took a 1 page extract from my monthly phone bill showing the date and texts sent. Not sure how to extract WhatsApp call history. Emails I extracted an email per month, is that ok or a screenshot from Gmail showing her name searched? Finally, proof of travel I have included hotel bookings on birthdays, valentines etc over the past 2 years. We also have old joint tenancy agreements but did not qualify for Unmarried partner. Can we also submit letter from family supporting our relationship in addition to the above evidence?

Q6) I am aware the online bank statements must be stamped from the bank. The payslips are online, so the employer letter needs to confirm some info of her employment (job title, pay etc) along with the payslips being authentic. After this, should she DHL everything to me, or would scans be sufficient? Additionally, bank statements show overdraft in some months, but we always had a few thousand £ in savings account. Would overdraft be an issue or preferred to also show cash savings?

Q7) In accommodation, she has a 160 Sqft rented ensuite bedroom in a 3 bedroom flat share and happy for me to live with her. Not sure how to ask flatmates for their passport info etc as they are not family, only flatmates we know by living in the same place. Would it even be necessary, as we have right to live in a spacious ensuite room? Could a letter from landlord suffice confirming the accommodation is suitable for a couple?

Q8) We will get in touch with registries and book and pay for a venue as possible. As it will be a small occasion with 2 guests and witnesses. Would venue booking be sufficient as there is no evidence of DJ etc and save the date cards. How much is enough to show this?

Q9) For timing, we are considering the following:
Apply first week of Dec.
I fly in Mid Feb and join her, to give notice and get outfits etc.
We book venue now before applying for Mid or Late March, and get married then.
After marriage registration, we convert from finance to spouse visa ASAP.

Just wondering if the timeline is reasonable and anything else major we may have overlooked.

Thanks again,

MarryBritGal.

marrybritgal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Arab Emirates

Fiancé visa - Quick questions re Accommodation, Relationship and Finances

Post by marrybritgal » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi All,

My full doc checklist is on my other (lengthy) post immigration-for-family-members/fiance-v ... 92127.html.

Posting again for 1) brevity and 2) not sure how to delete old post. Just 3 items remaining:

1. Accommodation: My partner lives in a 3 bedroom flat share and has a 160sqft ensuite for exclusive use. How do we show this to not be overcrowded? No clear or recent guidance on this - do we still need info of flat mates or just letter from landlord? Or specific inspection done?

2. Relationship: Many pics together - how much is enough? And WhatsApp chat extracts or screenshots? And how far back should they go?

3. Finances: My partner earns £27,000 so the income requirement is met. However bank statements for spending account often show overdraft while there is generous amount in savings account. Would HO accept savings account statements as well, or is meeting the threshold enough to show in the spending account.

Many thanks,

MarryBritGal

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Fiancé visa - Quick questions re Accommodation, Relationship and Finances

Post by TODMATT » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:57 pm

marrybritgal wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:47 pm
Hi All,

My full doc checklist is on my other (lengthy) post immigration-for-family-members/fiance-v ... 92127.html.

Posting again for 1) brevity and 2) not sure how to delete old post. Just 3 items remaining:

1. Accommodation: My partner lives in a 3 bedroom flat share and has a 160sqft ensuite for exclusive use. How do we show this to not be overcrowded? No clear or recent guidance on this - do we still need info of flat mates or just letter from landlord? Or specific inspection done?

If he's living with Non related adult then inspection is definitely recommended and you can include their name and I wrote "unknown" where it asked for their information about passport.

2. Relationship: Many pics together - how much is enough? And WhatsApp chat extracts or screenshots? And how far back should they go? 3-4 each month using Microsoft word to fit them into 1 page for duration of your relationship

3. Finances: My partner earns £27,000 so the income requirement is met. However bank statements for spending account often show overdraft while there is generous amount in savings account. Would HO accept savings account statements as well, or is meeting the threshold enough to show in the spending account.

They are only interested in your income and not your overdraft or debt etc and if you meet the requirement using employment route then avoid complicating as you don't need savings provided your wife had earned the required amount in the period of 6 months if you are apply under CAT A
Last edited by TODMATT on Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

marrybritgal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Arab Emirates

Post by marrybritgal » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Thanks a lot for your response TODMATT. Few follow up questions if you do not mind:
TODMATT wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:57 pm

If he's living with Non related adult then inspection is definitely recommended and you can include their name and I wrote "unknown" where it asked for their information about passport.

She is living with 2 other flatmates in the 3 bedroom house share, so it was ok to write 'unknown' with no issues for passport details etc for you? Also, what is the nature of the inspection? How do you get one done? And would letter from agent or so help or unnecessary as long as inspection is done?

2. Relationship: Many pics together - how much is enough? And WhatsApp chat extracts or screenshots? And how far back should they go?

3-4 each month using Microsoft word to fit them into 1 page for duration of your relationship

Thanks a lot, will do monthly A4's of several screenshots as recommended for duration of chat history (something above 2.5 years). Many pics together (together since 2015) -- might include 1-2 pics per month, and several months per A4. That would not be too excessive im hoping?

They are only interested in your income and not your overdraft or debt etc and if you meet the requirement using employment route then avoid complicating as you don't need savings provided your wife had earned the required amount in the period of 6 months if you are apply under CAT A

Okay perfect. Yes applying under CatA so better to give single source, got it. Thanks a lot!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:44 pm

TODMATT wrote:

Also remember that property inspection report will still include the details of other tenants and their room details in the property. A reasonably established estate agent will never perform any inspection without full detail of other tenants and accessibility to all areas of property to confirm no overcrowding.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

marrybritgal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Arab Emirates

Post by marrybritgal » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:01 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:44 pm
TODMATT wrote:

Also remember that property inspection report will still include the details of other tenants and their room details in the property. A reasonably established estate agent will never perform any inspection without full detail of other tenants and accessibility to all areas of property to confirm no overcrowding.
Hi Seagol, thanks for responding! Could you please elaborate on what is meant by property inspection report? Is this completed by the letting agent himself or should I contact a third party estate agent to complete this? Thanks again!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:17 pm

marrybritgal wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi Seagol, thanks for responding! Could you please elaborate on what is meant by property inspection report? Is this completed by the letting agent himself or should I contact a third party estate agent to complete this? Thanks again!
It can be performed by any reasonably established estate agent. Property inspection report demonstrates to the authorities that the Applicant(s) will have not need to be re-housed once in the UK and so will not be a burden on the Exchequer.

The UKVI must be satisfied that the Sponsor can accommodate the Applicant(s) in housing that will not become statutorily overcrowded under Housing Act 1985 and is safe and fit for human habitation under Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

marrybritgal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Arab Emirates

Post by marrybritgal » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:30 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:17 pm
marrybritgal wrote:

It can be performed by any reasonably established estate agent. Property inspection report demonstrates to the authorities that the Applicant(s) will have not need to be re-housed once in the UK and so will not be a burden on the Exchequer.

The UKVI must be satisfied that the Sponsor can accommodate the Applicant(s) in housing that will not become statutorily overcrowded under Housing Act 1985 and is safe and fit for human habitation under Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004.
Thanks! Will have her request this ASAP from her letting agent! Would you happen to know if this falls under the 28 day rule in terms of validity (similar to evidence of finances?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 pm

marrybritgal wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:30 pm
Thanks! Will have her request this ASAP from her letting agent! Would you happen to know if this falls under the 28 day rule in terms of validity (similar to evidence of finances?
Preferably keep it under 28 days rule.

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 pm

marrybritgal wrote:
seagul wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:44 pm
TODMATT wrote:

Also remember that property inspection report will still include the details of other tenants and their room details in the property. A reasonably established estate agent will never perform any inspection without full detail of other tenants and accessibility to all areas of the property to confirm no overcrowding.

I have done inspection report in the past and it was done by a chartered surveyor and I only include the name of the tenants and NOT their confidential information. You have stated your opinion but from my experience, I know many people who have done an inspection report and didn't submit other tenants information and were successful.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 pm
I have done inspection report in the past and it was done by a chartered surveyor and I only include the name of the tenants and NOT their confidential information. You have stated your opinion but from my experience, I know many people who have done an inspection report and didn't submit other tenants information and were successful.
Where i said that confidential information of other tenants will be needed. Only their detail relevant to tenancy and tenure will be needed and in a lot of sharing accommodation few/all tenants doesn't give consent to include even their names and sometime even the landlord/principal estate agent doesn't allow property inspection. I have only added a further clarity into house inspection report and its other associated factors along with your provided opinion.

marrybritgal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Arab Emirates

Post by marrybritgal » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:46 am

Hi,

Similar situation for me and my partner where he came on a student visa after we were together and engaged, but he declared as 'single' and went back home after his studied (could not secure work visa).

Could I ask how it turned out for you? As we are facing a similar anxiety.

Thanks,

MarryBritGal

marrybritgal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Arab Emirates

Post by marrybritgal » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi All,

Just writing to ask a quick question: Should we prospectively book a venue 71+ days from the appointment for giving notice? Or would we be fine with the usual 29 day period, considering my partner will be joining me on a Fiance visa?

Before applying, as evidence of venue etc, we just wanted to be sure about the timing of giving notice and the marriage ceremony itself before booking appointments. As we will be obtaining a Fiance visa before notice is given (sometime in March), it does not seem sensible for HO to extend the notice period to 70 days, as the investigation about the relationship etc would have already taken place before the fiance visa is issued.

According to several register offices that we have checked, however:
"All bookings are provisional until they have been checked by a registrar at XYZ Register Office and until you have both given notice of intention to marry within the legal timeframes (at the latest 29 days before the date of the ceremony – 71 days if either of you is a non-EEA national)."
From everyone's knowledge and prior experience, does the notice period get extended to 71 days even on fiance visa? Or would a 29 day gap between appointment for notice and wedding date be reasonable in this case?

Many thanks,

MarryBritGal

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:30 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

marrybritgal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Arab Emirates

Post by marrybritgal » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:19 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 pm
marrybritgal wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:30 pm
Preferably keep it under 28 days rule.
Hi Seagul,

All done and online application almost submitted. One anxiety left which is how to submit documents. I will be having a biometrics appointment with VFS Global, where they will scan everything. For my partner’s financial evidence, I will be printing and taking with me payslips and everything else as well to be scanned at biometrics appointment.

Is that ok or would I need her to send me the originals from her end? Or, would UKVI request her to send the original documents if they need that for anything? Would you happen to know about this?

Many thanks

Marrybritgal

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm

marrybritgal wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:19 pm

Is that ok or would I need her to send me the originals from her end? Or, would UKVI request her to send the original documents if they need that for anything? Would you happen to know about this
UKVI not always request the missing documents rather make the decision on the supplied documents. Therefore, make sure to upload everything.

marrybritgal
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Arab Emirates

Post by marrybritgal » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:12 am

seagul wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm
marrybritgal wrote:

Is that ok or would I need her to send me the originals from her end? Or, would UKVI request her to send the original documents if they need that for anything? Would you happen to know about this
UKVI not always request the missing documents rather make the decision on the supplied documents. Therefore, make sure to upload everything.
Got it thanks

one last teeny tiny question, whats sponsor declaration form? cant find enough guidance but there are 2 links but it is confusing which one is necessary to submit

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... ration.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... p-form.pdf

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:42 am

marrybritgal wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:12 am
seagul wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm
marrybritgal wrote:

Got it thanks

one last teeny tiny question, whats sponsor declaration form? cant find enough guidance but there are 2 links but it is confusing which one is necessary to submit

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... ration.pdf
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... p-form.pdf
2nd link is a SU07 form which is not needed but 1st link is containing a sponsor declaration form which seems relevant to the spouse visa application.