ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

“Change of name” Enquiry

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

claraluh
United Kingdom

“Change of name” Enquiry

Post by claraluh » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello Everyone,

My partner has three names in her passport: First, middle and last name. On both previous passports the “middle” name was put together with the surname, and her passport only holds “Given names” and “Surnames” sections. When applying for all the visas and Uk driving licence she always filled everything according to her passport. But, now in October when renewing her passport the consulate decided to put the middle name in the “Given names” section, not on the “surname” section as it used to be in the last passports. So, we’ve emailed them to ask if this could be corrected and they said they can not put this ‘middle’ name in the surname section as according to her Birth Certificate none of her Parents hold this name as a “surname”. Even though they had done it before.
Now we have a problem, we want to know if she is going to have to change all her uk documents, such as biometric visa and uk driving licence because of this change?? :?
Ps; She hasn’t changed her name after marriage, the name has always been the same, there is only a change in the position where the ’surname’ comes in the passport.

All help will be much appreciated .

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: “Change of name” Enquiry

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Different authorities/bodies have different patterns of record/database system for recording the name. Some give a separate section for giving middle name while some not. For instance DVLA record middle name along with first name at its section 2 while section 1 holds the surname distinctively.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

claraluh
United Kingdom

Post by claraluh » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:29 pm

My question was actually if she needs apply for a change of name on her Biometric Residence card? This is the main concern, we are not really concerned about the driving licence. She is due to apply for ILR next year and we want to avoid any future problems.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 pm

To cut it short & easy the BRP card must match with your current passport for which you might have to make a separate application within 3 months.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

claraluh
United Kingdom

Post by claraluh » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 pm
To cut it short & easy the BRP card must match with your current passport for which you might have to make a separate application within 3 months.
Thanks, that’s what I thought. :(

Is it like a whole new application? with the same huge fees??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:05 pm

claraluh wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm
seagul wrote:

No. Simply the brp which costs a couple of hundred ££.

If the names match albeit in slightly different location of middle name and names have not changed as such, ie Anne to sarah, I don't believe it is necessary to change everything.

Presumably t there is a birth cert of the name order and evidence of previous passport etc to show it is the same name and person.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 pm

claraluh wrote:
seagul wrote:

I suspect that perhaps the consulate now have changed their pattern of database/software which doesn't allow the sequence of names same as before (same has said in first post) otherwise renewal of passport is simply a copy paste work with same previous details unless someone officially want to change something. Regarding application & fee you can read here:

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... e-visa-brp

claraluh
United Kingdom

Post by claraluh » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:06 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:05 pm
claraluh wrote:
seagul wrote:

If the names match albeit in slightly different location of middle name and names have not changed as such, ie Anne to sarah, I don't believe it is necessary to change everything.

Presumably t there is a birth cert of the name order and evidence of previous passport etc to show it is the same name and person.
The name is completely the same, and if put in full it matches all the Ids, Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate, They just changed the position.

I will give an example:
before the change: - Given Names: Maria / Surname: Silvia Torres
After the change: - Given Names: Maria Silvia / Surname: Torres.

As per the example, they just took the "Silvia" and put it together with the middle names, rather than surname.

claraluh
United Kingdom

Post by claraluh » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:13 pm

claraluh wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:06 pm
As per the example, they just took the "Silvia" and put it together with the middle names, rather than surname.
I mean, they put the “Silvia” together with given names rather than Surname.

ps: All names are for example purposes only

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:29 pm

claraluh wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:06 pm
CR001 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:05 pm
claraluh wrote:
seagul wrote:

The name is completely the same, and if put in full it matches all the Ids, Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate, They just changed the position.

I will give an example:
before the change: - Given Names: Maria / Surname: Silvia Torres
After the change: - Given Names: Maria Silvia / Surname: Torres.

As per this example it isn't a change of name. In that case don't over think and just leave it like that. You may like to listen another example, some places most frequently in banks they will only issue you bank statements even debit/credit cards in your surname and first name initials e.g M Torres. Don't worry its ok.

claraluh
United Kingdom

Post by claraluh » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:00 pm

seagul wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:29 pm

As per this example it isn't a change of name. In that case don't over think and just leave it like that. You may like to listen another example, some places most frequently in banks they will only issue you bank statements even debit/credit cards in your surname and first name initials e.g M Torres. Don't worry its ok.
I think I over explained in the first post. Yes, so the Full name has actually remained the same, just change in positions in the Passport.
I feel much more relieved now, we are already going to spend that huuuge fee next year for the ILR, didn't want to have to spend more £££ now for this BRP. :roll: