ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spousal sponsorship

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

miky348
Newly Registered

Spousal sponsorship

Post by miky348 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:09 pm

hello,

Myself:
Canadian citizen since 1999 (migrated from Pakistan), residing in Toronto.

Fiance:
US citizen (by birth), residing in Texas.

We are getting married in March'08 (civil ceremony), whereas the reception will be held in June'08. She plans to stay in US till the reception as she cannot quit her job before June'08. Both the civil ceremony & reception will be held in US. I'd like to sponsor her:

1. Can I sponsor her after civil ceremony? OR have to wait till the reception (since CIC requires wedding pictures)
2. When do you think would be best to sponsor her? (i.e. after civil ceremony OR wait till June'08)
3. Can she enter Canada in June'08 as a visitor and I then sponsor her using in-Canada sponsorship application.

Basically we want to live together in Canada right after our reception (June'08).

appreciate your help.

thanks
m

Willy
Newly Registered

Post by Willy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:13 am

Hi,

To answer some of your questions:

1 & 2. If you are sponsoring her as spouses, I would suggest you to wait until after the reception. You may want to consider waiting for a few month after the reception, just to establish the creditability of the marriage.
However, if you two have been living together continuously for at least one year, you are entitled to sponsor her as your common-law partner. This avenue does not require proof of marriage certificate.
3. Yes, she can enter Canada as a visitor and the application can be submitted later.

Please note that, all in-Canada application is processed in the U.S.

I hope it helps.

Willy (Ka Shun) Cheng,
Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant
ChengCosgrove Immigration Services
willy@chengcosgrove.com
http://www.chengcosgrove.com

CB7648
Newly Registered

Post by CB7648 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:57 pm

Willy wrote:Hi,

To answer some of your questions:

1 & 2. If you are sponsoring her as spouses, I would suggest you to wait until after the reception. You may want to consider waiting for a few month after the reception, just to establish the creditability of the marriage.
However, if you two have been living together continuously for at least one year, you are entitled to sponsor her as your common-law partner. This avenue does not require proof of marriage certificate.3. Yes, she can enter Canada as a visitor and the application can be submitted later.

Please note that, all in-Canada application is processed in the U.S.

I hope it helps.

Willy (Ka Shun) Cheng,
Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant
ChengCosgrove Immigration Services
willy@chengcosgrove.com
http://www.chengcosgrove.com
How long does that process normally take?

markdrocker
Newly Registered

Re: Spousal sponsorship

Post by markdrocker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:23 am

miky348 wrote:hello,

Myself:
Canadian citizen since 1999 (migrated from Pakistan), residing in Toronto.

Fiance:
US citizen (by birth), residing in Texas.

We are getting married in March'08 (civil ceremony), whereas the reception will be held in June'08. She plans to stay in US till the reception as she cannot quit her job before June'08. Both the civil ceremony & reception will be held in US. I'd like to sponsor her:

1. Can I sponsor her after civil ceremony? OR have to wait till the reception (since CIC requires wedding pictures)
2. When do you think would be best to sponsor her? (i.e. after civil ceremony OR wait till June'08)
3. Can she enter Canada in June'08 as a visitor and I then sponsor her using in-Canada sponsorship application.

Basically we want to live together in Canada right after our reception (June'08).

appreciate your help.

thanks
m
This thread is old and original poster has already made decision, but I will add info for others who find this thread in their searches.

My success story indicates it is OK to apply after a “small weddingâ€