ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in UK test which name to register under?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jayjap
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Life in UK test which name to register under?

Post by Jayjap » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:55 pm

My wife is doing the life in UK test soon in order to get her British passport. Long story short she is legally known in UK under a name that is different to the name on her original passport. In other words her driving license for example is in this name not her original passport name. I presume surely this is the correct name for her to be registered under therefore? She will bring her driving license for id so will obviously match up. I rang the liuk helpline, lady said as long as the id matches as far as they are concerned that is fine. However she then added wouldn't know whether there would be a problem further down the line when applying for a passport (as current passport is obviously a different name) and this isnt something they could give any guidance on. I have tried calling what I thought was best number to speak to someone but one time was passed from pillar to post and another time on hold for 30 mins then gave up.
Anyone have any advice or know the best quickest contact info so I can clarify this? Any help is greatly appreciated

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Life in UK test which name to register under?

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Your wife can only apply for a passport once she's a British citizen. Presumably she's applying for naturalisation?
I suggest she uses her passport for LITUK and applies for naturalisation under the passport name - otherwise HMPO will not issue a passport, due to mismatch of names. You should post your queries in the "British Citizenship" forum.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.