ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU national want to move Spain with non EU spouse and dependent mother for settlement.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Leo_one
France

EU national want to move Spain with non EU spouse and dependent mother for settlement.

Post by Leo_one » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi dear Gurus and members
I'm French national live in UK as self-employed. My wife got settled status and mother having pre settled status. Due to some reason I would like to move Spain and start to do some business. My question can I apply from UK for residence with my family and my wife and mother also eligible for residence. What is the procedure and what documents required? How many chances. if someone have good knowledge share please.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Re: EU national want to move Spain with non EU spouse and dependent mother for settlement.

Post by obormot » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Do you speak Spanish?

Just get visas for your family members
https://uk.blsspainvisa.com/london/eea_eu_type_visa.php
and then in spain they need to physically go to foreigners office and apply for 5 years resident cards of family members of EU citizen.

http://extranjeros.mitramiss.gob.es/es/ ... index.html

The process is very similar in logic to one in UK (I did not do it myself, but know of people who did, it seemed not very difficult)
You will have to translate documents in Spanish, and you will have to communicate in Spanish with clerks - they never speak english (or french) - that is your largest challenge..
You will also have to prove self-sufficiency

Leo_one
France

Re: EU national want to move Spain with non EU spouse and dependent mother for settlement.

Post by Leo_one » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi obormot
Thanks for reply and guidance. I can't speak Spanish but my brother live there and have mobile phones business. He wants me to share him in his business. I guess prove of self sufficient this business enough. I don't know here in London how I can apply and how is possible to prove that business before to move there. I can go without visa and get settle there without visa but problem with my non EU family those need visa. Let see.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:19 pm

I assume your wife and mother are not EU (or the case simplifies significantly).

Look at the first link I posted - it is in English (it is Spanish embassy in London).
You can apply for visa for your family members to accompany you to Spain. It is free, and you do not need to prove that you have work etc. in Spain - just that they are your wife and mother (and for the mother that she lives with you or is financially dependent). You can submit supporting documents in English.
This is like Family Permit for UK.
Once you all arrive to Spain you will need to apply for them for residence, and then you will have to prove that you are self-employed (and your brother should be able to explain you what they want and to accompany you in doing that)

By the way, Spanish is not that different from French - knowing one you can guess a lot about the content of the text in another..

Personally, if I would be your wife, if she is non EU and already has settled status, I'd wait until she got 12 months on settled status and would apply for UK citizenship for her (and only then move her to Spain). It would make her life much easier in the future if she has UK passport (even after brexit, and even if you permanently move to Spain)
Given that, it might indeed would be more reasonable if you go to Spain first without her.
On the other hand, it is my experience that parents cases are always more complicated then spouse cases. So it might be easier if your mother comes with you from the start and applies for residence in Spain (she might then travel back and force to UK)

Yet another thing: if you are French citizen and you are married for more then 4-5 years, you can apply for French citizenship for your wife. She does not need to live in France for that, but she has to speak French (at intermediate level). This can be done via French consulate in London. It might be an even easier route for your wife to simplify her future movements. An application might take more than a year, but it will not stop if you move from UK to Spain, it is not realted to where you live.

cocobella
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cocobella » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Getting a residence card for a dependent parent in Spain is very difficult. At least in my experience. My dependent mother has applied and been rejected many times over 4 years. We have presented tons of financial and other evidence of dependency and are fully settled in Spain, but still they refuse the residence card. This country does its own thing and does not follow EU rules. You're better off in the UK.