ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee forums

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zaf1
Pakistan

Referee for British Citizenship

Post by zaf1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Hello,
I will be applying for British Citizenship in the next couple of months.

I have a couple of questions,

1) Can a University professor be accepted as a professional Referee for citizenship application. I know it is not listed on the approved list of referees but there is a teacher, lecturer. So, Professor would fall under a similar bracket. One of my friend got it approved using his PhD supervisor (University Professor) as a professional Referee. I wish to clarify ?

2) One of my friend is a company director and I know him since last 8-9 years. Can he also act as a professional referee ? Although I do not work in his company and technically my work not related to him but I have personal acquaintance with him ?

Many Thanks.

Best Regards.

aman90
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Referee for British Citizenship

Post by aman90 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:19 pm

zaf1 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:14 pm
1. Yes. Professional.
2. Director of a VAT registered company. Otherwise can act as normal referee but must have British passport.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:34 pm

1. Professor is just a glorified variant of "lecturer" (this also includes senior lecturer, reader, etc.) and lecturer is on HO list.
Plenty of people get university profs as a referee.

2. The only case when referee needs to know applicant in "professional capacity" is when applicant is a child

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks for the clarifications!

Regards!

zaf1
Pakistan

Referee forums

Post by zaf1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:41 am

Hello,
I am in a process of applying for a British citizenship based on ILR (tier 2 visa). I prefer using an online application as it is more convenient. I would be eligible in the end of January 2020 after completing 12 months on ILR but started the online application process earlier to pre fill the application and gather details.

One question regarding the referees.
1) Which form I need to send to my Referees for signature ?
2) Is it available online somewhere ?
3) Does both referees need to sign the same form ? with my photo attached?
4) What details should I have from my referees as required to fill in online application?

Many Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Referee forums

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:55 am

the online form has the referee form within the process where you complete their details. You will then have to print it out and ask them to sign once you have put your photo on the forms.

Both referees must sign.

Can you please also keep all your questions in ONE topic. Topics merged.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:20 pm

THANKS !

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:16 pm

What details of my referees I need on hand ?

Profession ? Name ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Name, passport number, address, email, etc etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Ok thanks!

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:14 am

Hello,
One question, My professional referee University Professor has decided to retire full time from next month but he would retain an emeritus Professor status and official email address.

Can I still use him as a referee ?

Thanks.

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Post by xavieryves » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:47 am

If his membership on his professional body hasn't lapsed yet I don't see any problem. Find out with him when it does. This is usually renewed annually and can be checked online on relevant professional bodies' websites, I'm guessing that's what the Home Office use to check so important that he's still on it at the time you apply.

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:20 pm

Thanks & a very Happy new Year to all members,

Quick query, I am filling in the application form for naturalisation online, It asked for my past 5 year addresses, for one time address move I am not sure what dates I should put as I paid for half month rent prior to moving to secure the place. Basically I stayed at two places for half a month roughly. I hope it should not be the exact date but as accurate as possible?

Second, In the form it never asked for my previous travel history and I have come to the referee information. Does anyone knows where it ask for the travel history? Just to ensure I am not filling in the wrong form?

Many Thanks.

Best Regards.

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:52 pm

One more question.

I was out of the UK from 14 jan to 15 feb 2015. My ILR was done on 28 Jan 2019. Now while applying for the naturalisation should I need to wait until 15 Feb 2020 as I was out of the UK 5 years prior to 28 jan 2020 ?

Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:17 pm

zaf1 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:52 pm
One more question.

I was out of the UK from 14 jan to 15 feb 2015. My ILR was done on 28 Jan 2019. Now while applying for the naturalisation should I need to wait until 15 Feb 2020 as I was out of the UK 5 years prior to 28 jan 2020 ?

Thanks.
Yes wait til 15 Feb 2020.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:45 pm

Thanks,

Secondly, I am filling in the application form for naturalisation online, It asked for my past 5 year addresses, for one time address move I am not sure what dates I should put as I paid for half month rent prior to moving to secure the place. Basically I stayed at two places for half a month roughly. I hope it should not be the exact date but as accurate as possible?

Second, In the form it never asked for my previous travel history and I have come to the referee information. Does anyone knows where it ask for the travel history? Just to ensure I am not filling in the wrong form?

Many Thanks.

Best Regards.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:02 pm

zaf1 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:45 pm
Thanks,

Secondly, I am filling in the application form for naturalisation online, It asked for my past 5 year addresses, for one time address move I am not sure what dates I should put as I paid for half month rent prior to moving to secure the place. Basically I stayed at two places for half a month roughly. I hope it should not be the exact date but as accurate as possible? Approx dates should be fine.

Second, In the form it never asked for my previous travel history and I have come to the referee information. Does anyone knows where it ask for the travel history? Just to ensure I am not filling in the wrong form? Haven't used the online application so can't tell you - are you able to go back to previous sections?

Many Thanks.

Best Regards.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:03 pm

Yes thanks, I can go back to previous sections, I do not think I missed any thing but may be travel history comes after you fill in the referee info. thats what I wanted to confirm.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:22 am

Maybe but can't confirm - you could alternatively make a list/spreadsheet and upload that with a note explaining why. As it's a standard requirement that should resolve it.

zaf1
Pakistan

Re: 10 years employment

Post by zaf1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:39 pm

Hello,
Few more question please, I got ILR based on 5 years of Tier 2 before that I had Tier 4 for MSc/PhD.

A) In the citizenship form if they asked when did you 1st entered UK. Would that be for the start of my Tier 2 visa as I did the same in ILR application form? Or it would be the day I entered 1st time as a student ?

B) For the previous visa application reference numbers. Do I need to mention Tier 2 (latest) or ILR (which obviously was acquired on Tier 2 basis)? Is ILR a visa or Tier 2 would be more appropriate to fit this definition ?

C)For the previous employment history. Do I need to mention for full time since Tier 2 visa or the employment history (part time) when I was a student. As a student I did varied jobs (exam invigilation, safety stewardship, fund raising) never exceeded more than 20 hours per week during term time. Only worked more than 20 hours off term/holidays as permitted. I honestly do not remember all those jobs start and end dates. I have requested HMRC sar for this. But by no means, I would be able to verify the veracity of those records? I have learned that you can get away with mentioning the Tier 2 full time employment. I can mention until March 2013 precisely (~7 years). Would that be an issue?

Many Thanks.

Best Regards.

zaf1
Pakistan

Post by zaf1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:23 pm

Hello,
One more question.

1) For the naturalization application AN referee declaration form. Can I pre-download it prior to completing full application details and send to my referees for signing ? If so what is the latest (update) link. Or I can only get it after completing the online application form with specific barcodes, application number pertaining to my specific application.

Please advise urgently!

Thanks.