ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Citizenship via British Spose route - query re spouse passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

BertieCee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Applying for Citizenship via British Spose route - query re spouse passport

Post by BertieCee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:41 pm

Good evening,

My wife (American) has booked her appointment for citizenship after recently receiving ILR. I am British (born in UK, British parents). My question is: Is she required to take my passport with her, or only a copy of my passport? If she is required to take my original documents with her, can I provide something other than my passport?

A comment on the following thread might suggest (I wasn't sure) that she would only need to take a copy of my passport: british-citizenship/apply-for-citizensh ... 76669.html

I ask because I am away with work at the time of her appointment and we did not think they would need my original passport as that was not on the document list we were using.

We would be sincerely grateful for any information.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Re: Applying for Citizenship via British Spose route - query re spouse passport

Post by obormot » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:31 pm

She needs to upload copy of your passport (ALL pages).
Then when she goes for her biometric appointment, they usually do not look at anything except her passport.
I believe that "theoretically" there is a small chance that the file with your passport will be below standard, so they might want to rescan it. But in practice it seems they do not really look at the uploaded documents very seriously, if at all.
Later, if HO is not happy, they might ask for any original themselves.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:29 am

BertieCee wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:41 pm
Good evening,

My wife (American) has booked her appointment for citizenship after recently receiving ILR. I am British (born in UK, British parents). My question is: Is she required to take my passport with her, or only a copy of my passport? If she is required to take my original documents with her, can I provide something other than my passport?

A comment on the following thread might suggest (I wasn't sure) that she would only need to take a copy of my passport: british-citizenship/apply-for-citizensh ... 76669.html

I ask because I am away with work at the time of her appointment and we did not think they would need my original passport as that was not on the document list we were using.

We would be sincerely grateful for any information.
A copy of your passport will be uploaded as a supporting document. They shouldn't need the original copy
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

BertieCee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by BertieCee » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:13 am

Good morning both,

Thank you for the responses! It is sincerely appreciated and puts our minds at ease.

All the best and thank you again

BertieCee
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by BertieCee » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:26 am

One final post.

Thank you again, both.

For anyone else who comes across this, I have also been advised that my wife can take a colour copy of my passport (ALL pages) as well as my original long (not short) birth certificate (as the long one also has my parents' places of birth).

Thank you again and all best