ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship and marriage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

thesaint

Citizenship and marriage

Post by thesaint » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:36 am

I am applying for my citizenship next month as a spouse for a British person and will be appreciated if any one can help
Its about the part when they asking about place and date of marriage
The problem is my wife and I had a religious marriage first 2004 and after a year we registered our marriage as a civil marriage. so we have 2 different dates for our marriage
Which one I should write in the form or I should write the date of the civil marriage certificate and then explain in page 13 where I can add any more information

My only worry is I don’t want any delay

When I applied for my spouse visa 3 years ago to the British embassy in my home land I explained to them the issue and it was ok

Also I think my wife used the date of the religious marriage not the date of our civil marriage when she had her name changed in her passport so we used diffirant dates in different occasions

Thanks in advance

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:43 am

Enter the date when you were legally married. Suggest that you use the NCS.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

thesaint

Post by thesaint » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:45 am

vinny wrote:Enter the date when you were legally married. Suggest that you use the NCS.
both are legaly

2.2 All civil marriages, and all religious marriages which have been registered with the
civil authority of the country in which they are celebrated, may be accepted as satisfying
the first criterion at paragraph 2.1.

is it al right to write the civil marrige date then explain in page 13 where the extra information or this is mean more checks

vinny

Re: Citizenship and marriage

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:58 am

thesaint wrote:and after a year we registered our marriage as a civil marriage.
I would use the date when you registered.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

thesaint

Re: Citizenship and marriage

Post by thesaint » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:11 am

vinny wrote:
thesaint wrote:and after a year we registered our marriage as a civil marriage.
I would use the date when you registered.
thanks vinny i will do that but do u think i should explain or just write it with no more explanation

i just dont them to chek and find 2 different dates for the same marrige
as i said my wife used the religious marriage date to change the name in her passport

thanks alot again

Sean7398

Post by Sean7398 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Generally, a civil marriage is the one which is the civil / state/ court marriage (know as many types). A religious wedding is not really relevant, because many people can't afford religious marriages and they get officially married by just registering. Like for example, runaway bride and grooms, they get married by normal civil ceremony rather than religious ceremony. But it will also depend in which country you were married in. But overally, you're civil marriage is the relevant one, cos this is the official certificate.

thesaint

Post by thesaint » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Sean7398 wrote:Generally, a civil marriage is the one which is the civil / state/ court marriage (know as many types). A religious wedding is not really relevant, because many people can't afford religious marriages and they get officially married by just registering. Like for example, runaway bride and grooms, they get married by normal civil ceremony rather than religious ceremony. But it will also depend in which country you were married in. But overally, you're civil marriage is the relevant one, cos this is the official certificate.
thanks alot sean . i think i will write the civil date only for now .
its only matter for them to be married to a british person at the time of submitting the application

thanks again and wish me good luck

Sean7398

Post by Sean7398 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Good luck... If in doubt, I would just seek advice from an immigration lawyer, cos it would be safer! We only have opinions on here!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:53 am

Sean7398 wrote:Good luck... If in doubt, I would just seek advice from an immigration lawyer, cos it would be safer! We only have opinions on here!
Would an immigration lawyer know the answer?