ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applicant's overseas child

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Questions about spouse visa for my NZ husband

Post by Madgrrl » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Just getting things together and I have questions.

Does my husband (the applicant) need to provide 6 months of bank statements or just me as sponsor?

My husband has a child from a previous marriage who lives in a different country. I'm not sure if he's still sending money over for the child but do we need to mention he has a kid whose life he's involved in regardless? Should this go into the section about "Does anyone rely on your for financial support" or elsewhere even if he's not sending money and lives overseas? Might not mentioning the child cause problems later on (eg if the child comes over for a visit).

The "when did you first meet" part of the application. We met on an online dating site and things kicked off romantically in time but didn't meet in person until 6 months later. When should I put?

Do I need to supply an employment contract as sponsor given that I've been with the company for 8 years and back when I started I wasn't earning the required amount to sponsor him? Or is salary letter from HR, payslips and bank statements all I need to submit as proof?

Re our evidence of relationship. Does he have to print out his side of pics/emails etc over there and submit them at his Biometrics appointment or similar or do I need to upload everything we have here at VFS in the UK when I scan in my own documents?

Many thanks for any advice.

iwolga
United Kingdom

Re: Questions about spouse visa for my NZ husband

Post by iwolga » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Does my husband (the applicant) need to provide 6 months of bank statements or just me as sponsor?
For the initial application only your income in UK will be counted. For savings (if you will qualify through it, you can use both partner's accounts).
My husband has a child from a previous marriage who lives in a different country. I'm not sure if he's still sending money over for the child but do we need to mention he has a kid whose life he's involved in regardless? Should this go into the section about "Does anyone rely on your for financial support" or elsewhere even if he's not sending money and lives overseas? Might not mentioning the child cause problems later on (eg if the child comes over for a visit).
General advice: always be opened with HO. Yes, he should state he has a child and that the child isn't applying with him in this application. In the cover letter I would say a couple of lines about it: lives in different country with its mum (?), not applying with me in this application as has established life in (?). (If this all is true, of course)
The "when did you first meet" part of the application. We met on an online dating site and things kicked off romantically in time but didn't meet in person until 6 months later. When should I put?
I also met my husband online. We met 1.5 months later, but I always put an actual meeting face-to-face date as the day when we met.

Just be consistent: you will be asked this Q many times. You will also be asked something like "when did your relationship begin?". I always reply next day after we met face-to-face. Also worth mentioning in your cover letter.
Do I need to supply an employment contract as sponsor given that I've been with the company for 8 years and back when I started I wasn't earning the required amount to sponsor him? Or is salary letter from HR, payslips and bank statements all I need to submit as proof?
A letter from your employer: how long your are working with the company, for how long are you getting the stated salary. I've drafted all letters myself to make sure that one is corresponding to payslips, questionnaire etc. Also payslips and bank statements, yes.
Re our evidence of relationship. Does he have to print out his side of pics/emails etc over there and submit them at his Biometrics appointment or similar or do I need to upload everything we have here at VFS in the UK when I scan in my own documents?
Both is possible, you can also upload everything yourself. Based on what some members report here, I would not be 100% trusting scanning centers, as they seem to sometimes make mistakes in scanning.

I also think it is more convenient to upload all scans directly instead of printing and scanning again. This feels like a waste

Many thanks for any advice.

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Post by Madgrrl » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi thanks so much for responding, very helpful.

I'm sponsoring him through salary, not savings. Wasn't sure though if they'd want to see his bank statements for proof of flight tickets bought etc.

Good idea to mention about his child in the covering letter. I'll find out if he's still sending regular money over as well in case that needs to be mentioned in the application form, but would it need to be mentioned in the form regardless or only if there's financial support/can they be deemed a dependent if the child lives overseas and sees their father only once every couple of years? We both went over there so I could meet the kid a couple of years ago so I will be putting something about this in my statement.

I will put the face to face meeting date as when we first met and also the following day as when the relationship first began ;) Also this will go in our cover letter with a line about how we started to get romantic feelings after emailing for a while and things grew from there.

I've got my employers letter (hopefully get copy sent next week). Do they need to stipulate the dates of the payslips being provided (company only does electrical payslips now so this is being stated on the letter also).

What is the questionnaire for? Never heard of this before?

Did you send anything in the post to your husband to take to the visa centre in his country? I'm unsure about this given that it takes about a week for things to arrive.

Thanks again :)

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:17 pm

I'm sponsoring him through salary, not savings. Wasn't sure though if they'd want to see his bank statements for proof of flight tickets bought etc.
If you have tickets or boarding passes, better use them. This is more obvious than a line in bank statement (also the payment itself doesn't really prove your point as can be for a completely different flight)
Good idea to mention about his child in the covering letter. I'll find out if he's still sending regular money over as well in case that needs to be mentioned in the application form, but would it need to be mentioned in the form regardless or only if there's financial support/can they be deemed a dependent if the child lives overseas and sees their father only once every couple of years? We both went over there so I could meet the kid a couple of years ago so I will be putting something about this in my statement.
I'm afraid I don't know this part
I will put the face to face meeting date as when we first met and also the following day as when the relationship first began ;) Also this will go in our cover letter with a line about how we started to get romantic feelings after emailing for a while and things grew from there.
Good idea and make sure that your husband will stick to the same dates. At the end HO doesn't really care if this was July or September as long as they can't say that you are misrepresenting facts or\and trying to deceive them.
I've got my employers letter (hopefully get copy sent next week). Do they need to stipulate the dates of the payslips being provided (company only does electrical payslips now so this is being stated on the letter also).
No, the date of a payslip is irrelevant. In the majority of cases you are paid for the calendar month whereas a payslip comes 2-3 days before the payroll run.
What is the questionnaire for? Never heard of this before?
Sorry, I meant online application.
Did you send anything in the post to your husband to take to the visa centre in his country? I'm unsure about this given that it takes about a week for things to arrive.
No, we uploaded everything ourselves, so when I (I'm the applicant and my husband is my sponsor) went to visa centre I only had my passport and an online confirmation form. In all honesty I don't understand people relying on scanning facilities in visa centre as even on this forum there are stories of papers missing from application due to that. This is just my opinion, but perhaps I'm a bit of a control freak.

I don't know this process very good, but I believe you can also send your part of papers somewhere in UK or bring it to one of the centres here to have it scanned.

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Post by Madgrrl » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks for your help! Good point, it could be for a different flight.

I'm still looking into the child thing, I'm asking around about it.

We'll compare statements before everything is sent off. I need to give him a prod because I don't think he's done anything yet :?

Sorry, I don't understand. Did you scan in documents yourself at a visa centre in the UK? I am considering doing that to save having to post documents to Aus, but do you mean that sometimes pages go astray at these places? Even if you scan it in and upload it yourself?

Thanks again for your help.

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:21 pm

Sorry, I don't understand. Did you scan in documents yourself at a visa centre in the UK? I am considering doing that to save having to post documents to Aus, but do you mean that sometimes pages go astray at these places? Even if you scan it in and upload it yourself?
No, I scanned everything myself at home and uploaded online. Visa centre scanning is an additional (and additionally paid) option that one can use.

Here's the link to UKVCAS page where they explain it all: https://www.ukvcas.co.uk/help-support/o ... eDocuments

What I read on this website are some stories of people who were requested by HO to provide "missing papers" whereas the person was sure he\she had it in the pile for scanning. I also read a couple of stories where it ended up with a refusal letter. Of course we only know one part of the story, of course it can be a software bug, but somehow I tend to believe that mistakes happen.

And yes, you are welcome! I hope this all helps with the application.

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Post by Madgrrl » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:25 am

Hang on, so there's an option to upload to the application from one's own computer? You don't need to go to a centre?! I assumed that the centre gave special access to the application or something, I didn't realise you could just upload your stuff from anywhere! That is brilliant and a lot off my mind.

How do they verify that documents are genuine though if you're just scanning them in yourself and uploading? or do you send the originals in as well?

I'm still confused, sorry.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Madgrrl wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:25 am
How do they verify that documents are genuine though if you're just scanning them in yourself and uploading? or do you send the originals in as well?

Copies are fine.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:12 pm

Madgrrl wrote:
Hang on, so there's an option to upload to the application from one's own computer? You don't need to go to a centre?! I assumed that the centre gave special access to the application or something, I didn't realise you could just upload your stuff from anywhere! That is brilliant and a lot off my mind.

Yes, you can do it from your own computer at home :)
They have their own ways))
For example, a lot of times they call to sponsor's employers or check with HMRC re payments. I assume they can confirm with bank that the bank statements are genuine. I'm not quite sure how they check marriage certificates issued outside UK and other things... But yes, they do their part of the job.

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Post by Madgrrl » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks! So they'd just ask to see originals if they had any doubts as to the authenticity of the scans you provide?

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Post by Madgrrl » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:58 pm

iwolga wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:12 pm
Madgrrl wrote:

Yes, you can do it from your own computer at home :)
They have their own ways))
For example, a lot of times they call to sponsor's employers or check with HMRC re payments. I assume they can confirm with bank that the bank statements are genuine. I'm not quite sure how they check marriage certificates issued outside UK and other things... But yes, they do their part of the job.
My eyes jumped and missed your reply! (Sorry if double commenting not allowed).

That's fantastic. In that case I might scan things in at work. That would be ideal and would mean I wouldn't need to rush around trying to find the VFS place.

Yes I imagine they do check things. I think all the documentation will have phone numbers/email addresses if they need to get in touch. I was married in the US and the name of the person who married us is on the certificate so I guess they could google. Will also be proving emails between us too about arranging the wedding.

That link you sent to ukvcas, is this another visa company, similar to VFS/TLS Contact? If this is the case is it ok to upload to them when my spouse is getting biometrics done with VFS in Australia? I'm not sure how that works but don't want to upload to one provider if it's not going to be available to my husband in Aus? I was told that I can't use TLS Contact if he's using VFS, for example.

Thanks again.

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:31 pm

That link you sent to ukvcas, is this another visa company, similar to VFS/TLS Contact? If this is the case is it ok to upload to them when my spouse is getting biometrics done with VFS in Australia? I'm not sure how that works but don't want to upload to one provider if it's not going to be available to my husband in Aus? I was told that I can't use TLS Contact if he's using VFS, for example.
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse you. There are 2 service companies - VFS and TLS Contact, they are outsourced providers for UKVI around the globe. You submit all supporting papers to them, you book an appointment with them and you do biometrics through them. Normally there's just one per country depending on the country. My google search shows that VFS will be the one for Australia: https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/au/en#lates ... Descending

Sopra Steria (as per link that I've sent to you) is the third company, which provides services in UK only. I just gave you this company as an example and because we were discussing your papers for scanning (I assume you are in UK).

Your starting point is gov.uk website. You need to fill in the application there. One of the first questions it'll ask you: from which country you (your husband) apply, so once the application is completed, it will redirect you to the correct visa company (VFS). You will only be able to upload documents after you finished your application on gov.uk website and before the biomentric appointment of your husband.

Since you plan to upload papers yourself, Sopra Steria (at least to my knowledge), will be not needed at all.

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Post by Madgrrl » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:33 am

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes I'm in the UK, sponsor. He is in Australia (NZ citizen). For reasons relating to the time of getting documents to Australia by post I'd prefer to scan them in here, and he could print out some of our evidence (photos etc) over there and scan them in at his end. If that's possible.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:24 am

If referring to self upload Yes that is possible. To ensure you get all uploaded correctly and can make up a document check list, maybe your spouse scans what's with them and send it to you for upload.

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Post by Madgrrl » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:37 am

So I can upload and he can at his end.

Do we still have to pay £75 to upload ourselves or is that just if their staff assist us?

Thanks.

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:57 am

Madgrrl wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:37 am
So I can upload and he can at his end.

Do we still have to pay £75 to upload ourselves or is that just if their staff assist us?

Thanks.
No, on case of self upload you don’t pay 75gbp

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Post by Madgrrl » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:28 am

Great, thank you.

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Applicant's overseas child

Post by Madgrrl » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:28 am

Hi,

My husband (applicant) has a child from his first marriage who lives in the US. He keeps in touch and sees the child maybe every 2 years or so. He was, for a while, sending maintenance money every month but his ex said that he doesn't need to do that now as she earns a good salary. However, he does put an amount away each month towards the kid's college fund.

My question is, would this go on the application form as being "someone who depends on you financially"?

The child will be mentioned in our summary letters but I'm not sure if we should put yes to the question on the form?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applicant's overseas child

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Madgrrl
Newly Registered

Post by Madgrrl » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Sorry about that, I was not aware.

I have another question, prior to applying. Just about to submit our application but am double checking it beforehand. I'm looking at one of the questions now and wondering if we've put the right thing.

My husband is a NZ citizen with an electronic subclass 444 visa that kiwis get to live & work in Australia. We had answered as follows:

Current status

What permission do you have to be in Australia?
A - I do not have a visa and I am not a permanent resident

Give more information about your status in Australia.
A - I am a New Zealand citizen and have a Special Subclass Visa 444 that entitles me to live and work in Australia.
---

Is it ok to answer as above as if you select "temporary visa" instead (which the 444 is) it then asks for an expiry date and as far as I'm aware there is no expiry date for that visa as long as you live in Australia and are still a NZ citizen? Unless we were just to put before he is due to come to the UK on the spouse visa?

So I'm not sure what we should put. "No visa" sounds as if he is there illegally although we had put the explanation about the 444 visa. We have also added some info on the "additional information" section explaining about his 444 visa, that it's an electronic visa so there's nothing in his passport etc.

Thanks for any advice.