ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa first extension

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sat7Dec
Newly Registered
Korea South

Spouse visa first extension

Post by Sat7Dec » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi All,

My current spouse visa (5 year route) expires on 28th December 2019 so I'm in process of preparing documents for an extension.

The trouble is only now I'm realising that I have been granted 2 weeks short of 30 months on my initial spouse visa. On my BRP it's saying the date of issue 12-07-2017 and valid until 28-12-2019.

Apparently it's too late for me to appeal for this, and I have no intention to pay another £2500 to extend the spouse visa for the 2nd time.

I guess it's best to apply for the 1st extension as late as possible so am thinking of finishing applying online on 23th December.

Would you say it would be safer for me to include a cover letter explaining this situation and asking to grant me to reach 5 year with the 1st extension?

Any help will be much appreciated.

p.s. before getting this spouse visa I had already entered the UK with a work visa and had remained with that visa for 2 years.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse visa first extension

Post by seagul » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:45 pm

You should have reported that mistake when you had received the BRP. If you look ILR thread then many members got success even having shortfall because they have applied before expiry which triggers the section 3C that prevents you from becoming an overstayer until the date of decision. And if on the date of decision you complete your qualifying period then caseworker grant you ILR.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Sat7Dec
Newly Registered
Korea South

Post by Sat7Dec » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:49 pm

@seagul thank you!

Sat7Dec
Newly Registered
Korea South

Post by Sat7Dec » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi All,

I have another question.

So again my current visa (initial spouse visa) expires on 28th Decemeber and I’m thinking of submitting the application online between 20th and 23rd.

Due to the Christmas period I don’t think I’ll get any biometric register appointment slot before the 28th though. Is this still ok and I won’t be considered as an overstayer?

Massive thanks for all your help in advance.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:04 pm

Sat7Dec wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:43 pm
Hi All,

I have another question.

So again my current visa (initial spouse visa) expires on 28th Decemeber and I’m thinking of submitting the application online between 20th and 23rd.

Due to the Christmas period I don’t think I’ll get any biometric register appointment slot before the 28th though. Is this still ok and I won’t be considered as an overstayer?

Massive thanks for all your help in advance.
Date of online submission of application form will be the date of application and biometrics can be enrolled even after the expiry of visa.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:28 am

Sat7Dec wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:43 pm
They should add any time remaining on your current visa (up to a maximum of 28 days) to the validity period of the extension. So it may be worth applying a couple weeks before expiry, which should make up the shortfall. Also, the new visa will be valid from the issue date, which should also make up the shortfall as it usually takes 8 weeks or so to process. See below from https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

"You can extend or switch at any time before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.

If you’re extending to stay with the same family member, you’ll only get up to 28 days left on your current stay added to your new visa."
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Sat7Dec
Newly Registered
Korea South

Post by Sat7Dec » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:39 pm

Thank you both. Really appreciated.

Sat7Dec
Newly Registered
Korea South

Post by Sat7Dec » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:30 pm

Hi All

One last question (hopefully)

I submitted my application on the 23rd and booked an appointment for Sopra Steria on 24th Jan 2020 as there was no earlier available free appointment.

My question is, I have got all the documents ready as of 23rd December & uploaded them all and hope this is the right thing? i.e. I won’t need to collect further documents such as January bank statements and payslip etc?

Also, do I need to take all the original paper documents to the Sopra Steria centre? It said so on their website but I’m not sure this is meant for those who booked for a scan service or for everyone...

rssfed23
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rssfed23 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:56 am

No, you don't need to collect any more documents. Anything you include (generally) dated after your application will be ignored anyway unless they've specifically asked for it.

And yes; take ALL your paper documents to the centre. Everything that's been scanned by you take it.

2 reasons for this:
- So they can check you've actually got the documents you scanned
- More importantly; their system can say it's uploaded a document but when you get to the centre they tell you about a missing item. I've had this twice now. First time with my passport (I'm a sponsor) and the second time with all my employment documents. Both times I could see the upload shown as uploaded on the website but they were not on the computers at the centre. The lovely woman said this is a very common problem hence why the site tells you to take the originals with you incase they need to scan anything missing there (it's free).

Sat7Dec
Newly Registered
Korea South

Post by Sat7Dec » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:07 pm

@rssfed23 Thank you so much. Totally understood.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:37 am

Don’t forget the A2 English language requirement.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.