ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent --> Tier 1 conversion, Is it possible once in U

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dev_mumbai
Newly Registered

Dependent --> Tier 1 conversion, Is it possible once in U

Post by dev_mumbai » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:30 pm

I am from India. Me and my wife are migrating to UK, and my wife is going to pursue a 14 month MSc programme fom London. I will be working in London.
We have two choices:

1. My wife takes a student visa and I take a student dependent visa as the spouse of a student (I will be allowed to work full time).

2. I take HSMP (Tier 1) as I qualify for the same. And my wife comes as my dependent. While this is definitely better, the application takes time and we want to migrate quickly.

My question is that once I am in UK as a dependent of my wife, can I apply for Tier 1 from there and change my status as a primary applicant or will I have to come back to India to do the same? I am sure of my qualification for Tier 1 based on my salary and education.

Any quick reply will be very helpful

catchmk
Newly Registered

Post by catchmk » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:02 pm

You will have to come back and apply.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:17 pm

Migrating to UK is atleast a 5 year process (I am talking about ILR). This qualifying period is likely to go up 7/10 years in near future. Compared to these timelines, dont you think it would be worthwhile to wait till you get Tier-1 clearance.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but a Student VISA would not lead to permanent settlement and you would have to switch to one of the Tier-1 Categories (Highly skilled/ Work permit) later on, in order to "migrate" to UK.

regards,

push_hsmp

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Employment and switching rules wrote:Dependants may not switch into any category of the points-based system in their own right. If your dependants later want to be in the United Kingdom under the points-based system in their own right, they will have to leave the United Kingdom and apply for entry clearance (permission to enter the United Kingdom).
push_hsmp wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong but a Student VISA would not lead to permanent settlement and you would have to switch to one of the Tier-1 Categories (Highly skilled/ Work permit) later on, in order to "migrate" to UK.
Correct, time spent in UK on leave to enter / remain as a student *does not* count towards ILR (permanent residency).

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!