ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Italian Visa - Advice Required

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MsBee
Newly Registered

Italian Visa - Advice Required

Post by MsBee » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi,

A friend of mine is married to a british citizen (she is originally from botswana), she has recently sent in for her british citizenship and only has her Botswanan passport which is valid. We have booked a group weekend holiday for Aug 22nd until 26th to Italy. She contacted the Italian embassy from the start of July via email. She had not heard from them so decided to call them yesterday (Mon 28th Jul), they advised her the earliest appointment is Sept 1st (also they were extremely rude on the phone). She has been told if she has a european partner she can turn up to the embassy and they will process her application. Now the confusion is, the italian gentleman said a british citizen is not classed as a european so therefore she cannot get her visa sorted out quicker. It is very upsetting as we have booked and paid for everything and we dont want her to miss out. Is there anything else we can do or are we missing anything.

Thanks in advance

SoloOl
Newly Registered

Post by SoloOl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:50 pm

Unfortunately Italians can't do anything if she has her National passport (does she has 2: National and International or how does it works?). With her National passport she can apply in the country of origin only.

MsBee
Newly Registered

Post by MsBee » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:01 pm

SoloOl wrote:Unfortunately Italians can't do anything if she has her National passport (does she has 2: National and International or how does it works?). With her National passport she can apply in the country of origin only.
She only has her country passport for holiday and things as she waits to get her british citizen and then her passport. As stated she is married to a british citizen and has a child who was born here. The unfortunate situation is whilst she waits for her citizenship she can only use her country passport hence the constant need for visa.

SoloOl
Newly Registered

Post by SoloOl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:34 pm

Only one thing to do is to go to Italian Consulate in person and they will answer all your questions. Lot's of people do that.

MsBee
Newly Registered

Post by MsBee » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 pm

SoloOl wrote:Only one thing to do is to go to Italian Consulate in person and they will answer all your questions. Lot's of people do that.
Thanks. Just found online that british citizens are European Union citizens under European Union law. She was told she does not need an appointment if she is married to an EU citizen. I will contact the consulate tomorrow to triple check bcoz although I have never applied for a visa I am sure this (the process) is not right some how. Anyways thanks for trying to help, I will keep the board posted as to the outcome in case anyone else needs help as well.

Cheers