ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form UKM question regarding current nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MickByNameAndNature
Mood:
United Kingdom

Form UKM question regarding current nationality

Post by MickByNameAndNature » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:26 pm

I am hoping someone here can provide some insight on a few questions I have regarding submitting the form UKM.

Background: I live in the US and have held US citizenship from birth. In 2017 I also obtained Irish citizenship through entry in the Foreign Births Register. I have valid passports for both countries.

Question 1 - does it matter which nationality I list first and which I put as additional nationalities? I get the impression from the form that I will have to send the passport in for the first nationality listed. I am required to travel for work and cannot enter the US on my Irish passport as a US citizen with a valid passport, so I would need to hold on to my US passport. For this reason I am considering putting my nationality as Irish and US as the additional. I'm concerned about that though because I obtained US citizenship at birth and Irish only since 2017.

Question 2 - Does it matter which passport I send in? If I list US as my nationality and Irish as the additional, can I send in the Irish passport? Or can I send a copy of my current US passport along with the original of my expired US passport, maybe in addition to my Irish passport?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Form UKM question regarding current nationality

Post by Djsuccess » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:01 pm

MickByNameAndNature wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:26 pm
I am hoping someone here can provide some insight on a few questions I have regarding submitting the form UKM.

Background: I live in the US and have held US citizenship from birth. In 2017 I also obtained Irish citizenship through entry in the Foreign Births Register. I have valid passports for both countries.

Question 1 - does it matter which nationality I list first and which I put as additional nationalities? I get the impression from the form that I will have to send the passport in for the first nationality listed. I am required to travel for work and cannot enter the US on my Irish passport as a US citizen with a valid passport, so I would need to hold on to my US passport. For this reason I am considering putting my nationality as Irish and US as the additional. I'm concerned about that though because I obtained US citizenship at birth and Irish only since 2017.
ideally where you were born remains yor nationality. additional acquired citizenship should be stated as such
Question 2 - Does it matter which passport I send in? If I list US as my nationality and Irish as the additional, can I send in the Irish passport? Or can I send a copy of my current US passport along with the original of my expired US passport, maybe in addition to my Irish passport?
I am not familiar with UKM but I believe you will be required to provide both passports, atleast for UK passport application (if your citizenship application is successful), you will need to submit your US and Irish passport.

Any insight would be appreciated.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.