ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen, Spanish resident: can i work in the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

luther
Newly Registered

US citizen, Spanish resident: can i work in the UK?

Post by luther » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:30 am

I'm a US citizen and have been living in working in Spain since 2001. I have Spanish residency which I only have to renew every five years. I'm thinking of moving to London, and was wondering if my spanish residency opened up any visa options?

All advice gratefully received!

Luther

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:05 am

Not in the UK;
The UK is not part of schenguen, there are two independent visa systems and you require a UK specific work permit/tier 1-2-3 visa
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: US citizen, Spanish resident: can i work in the UK?

Post by sakura » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:04 am

luther wrote:I'm a US citizen and have been living in working in Spain since 2001. I have Spanish residency which I only have to renew every five years. I'm thinking of moving to London, and was wondering if my spanish residency opened up any visa options?

All advice gratefully received!

Luther
Short answer: not at all. Long answer: your Spanish residency doesn't change anything, but if you are married to or in a civil partnership or 'durable relationship' with an EU/EEA citizen, then you can apply for a residence card as a family member of an EU/EEA citizen (search the family members forum for details).