ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship after getting EU settle Status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sgohel
Newly Registered

British Citizenship after getting EU settle Status

Post by Sgohel » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:07 pm

I have Indian Passport and recently applied under EU settlement scheme and have received the settle status. My spouse is a dual EU and British National and he became a British Citizen in Jan 2019, prior to that he only had Portuguese nationality and EEA Permanent residence. I was marrried in Dec 2014 and at the time of marriage my spouse only had Portuguese passport. My questions are:
  • Can i apply for British Citizenship immediately because my husband is British national and we are married since 2014 so it is more than 3 years.

Do i have to wait for one year from the date of acquiring EU settle status in order to apply for British Citizenship.

Will the Home office take any objection on the basis that at the time of marriage my spouse should have held British Nationality.

Do i have to complete 3 years from the date my spouse got British nationality.

It looks like i am eligible as per the information stated in https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse however just to be 100% sure double checking as getting mix opinions

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship after getting EU settle Status

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Sgohel wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:07 pm
I have Indian Passport and recently applied under EU settlement scheme and have received the settle status. My spouse is a dual EU and British National and he became a British Citizen in Jan 2019, prior to that he only had Portuguese nationality and EEA Permanent residence. I was marrried in Dec 2014 and at the time of marriage my spouse only had Portuguese passport. My questions are:
  • Can i apply for British Citizenship immediately because my husband is British national and we are married since 2014 so it is more than 3 years.
    Yes you can - the 3 years requirement relates to your residency rather than your marriage.
    Do i have to wait for one year from the date of acquiring EU settle status in order to apply for British Citizenship.
    No waiting - as soon as you received the full "Settled Status" you could have applied.
    Will the Home office take any objection on the basis that at the time of marriage my spouse should have held British Nationality.
    Not an issue - spouse doesn't have to be British at the time of your marriage.
    Do i have to complete 3 years from the date my spouse got British nationality.
No - you must have been resident in the UK for three years preceding the date of your naturalisation application.
It looks like i am eligible as per the information stated in https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse however just to be 100% sure double checking as getting mix opinions
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship after getting EU settle Status

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:41 pm

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.