ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employment history as a full-time PhD student

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jnbh2
Newly Registered

Employment history as a full-time PhD student

Post by jnbh2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi, I wanted to ask for advice regarding on the "employment" section of the UK naturalisation application form. I have been a full-time student for the entirety of my residence in the UK first as an undergraduate and then as a PhD student. During my PhD studies, I have been receiving a stipend, which is tax-exempt as it is a stipend rather than a salary. As such I do not have a NI number, and have never had a tax liability either through PAYE or self-assessment.

I have two questions:

1) On the actual application form under "details of employment", they ask whether I am an "employee", "business partner", "self-employed" or a "director". Is it best to leave this blank given that I am not an employee (which implies I would have a taxable income, which I do not)?

2) On page 20 of the application guidance the Home Office states that:
"Among the duties and obligations which you are expected to fulfil is payment of income tax and National Insurance contributions. We may ask H.M. Revenue & Customs for confirmation that your tax and National Insurance affairs are in order. If you do not pay income tax through PAYE you must demonstrate that you have discharged your obligations towards the H.M. Revenue & Customs, by attaching a Self Assessment Statement of Account."

How would I need to proceed given that neither have a confirmation of PAYE or any self-assessment records?

I would be grateful for any advice and particularly grateful if anyone is aware of any Home Office guidance on this.

Many thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Employment history as a full-time PhD student

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:47 pm

jnbh2 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:44 pm
Hi, I wanted to ask for advice regarding on the "employment" section of the UK naturalisation application form. I have been a full-time student for the entirety of my residence in the UK first as an undergraduate and then as a PhD student. During my PhD studies, I have been receiving a stipend, which is tax-exempt as it is a stipend rather than a salary. As such I do not have a NI number, and have never had a tax liability either through PAYE or self-assessment.

I have two questions:

1) On the actual application form under "details of employment", they ask whether I am an "employee", "business partner", "self-employed" or a "director". Is it best to leave this blank given that I am not an employee (which implies I would have a taxable income, which I do not)?
You should select "unemployed" if that option is available - employment as such is not a requirement for naturalisation. Alternatively leave blank and attach a short explanatory note.

"Among the duties and obligations which you are expected to fulfil is payment of income tax and National Insurance contributions. We may ask H.M. Revenue & Customs for confirmation that your tax and National Insurance affairs are in order. If you do not pay income tax through PAYE you must demonstrate that you have discharged your obligations towards the H.M. Revenue & Customs, by attaching a Self Assessment Statement of Account."

How would I need to proceed given that neither have a confirmation of PAYE or any self-assessment records?
See response to 1). You can't submit what you don't have.

I would be grateful for any advice and particularly grateful if anyone is aware of any Home Office guidance on this.
UKVI will know that applicants who aren't working won't be able to submit PAYE records, etc.

Many thanks!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

jnbh2
Newly Registered

Post by jnbh2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Thank you very much!

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:42 pm

jnbh2 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:44 pm

I have two questions:

Many thanks!
Just put unemployed as your status.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

jnbh2
Newly Registered

Post by jnbh2 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks!