ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

getting British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stark
Newly Registered

Eligibility for UK Nationality ?

Post by stark » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:02 am

My Father has been British National since 1998 married to a women in UK and then also married to my mother(this marriage not registered in UK). I want to know that, are my brothers born in 1991 & 1993 eligible for UK Nationality Or Can my mother get any kind of papers in UK ? :roll:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Eligibility for UK Nationality ?

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:06 am

No and no.

Children born before you father became British have no entitlement to citizenship. And as they are older than 18, they would have to find their own visa route to the UK, ie tier 2 or student visa etc.

He cannot sponsor a second wife if already married in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

stark
Newly Registered

getting British citizenship

Post by stark » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:34 am

My brothers were born in 1992 & 1993 to father who naturalised as British citizen in 1998 but their mother still isn’t British citizen nor is their marriage registered in UK because my father already has a wife in UK. So can my 2 brothers get British citizenship? :?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: getting British citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:45 am

Topics merged.
stark wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:34 am
My brothers were born in 1992 & 1993 to father who naturalised as British citizen in 1998 but their mother still isn’t British citizen nor is their marriage registered in UK because my father already has a wife in UK. So can my 2 brothers get British citizenship? :?
No they cannot. The answer doesn't change from the one you were given in December last year!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: getting British citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:50 am

No, because your father was not a British citizen at the time of your brothers' birth.

For children to acquire British citizenship automatically from their parents, one parent has to be a British citizen at the time of the child's birth.

If the parent becomes a British citizen any time after the child's birth, even the day after, the child is not automatically British but could be registered as a British citizen, provided certain conditions are met, before their 18th birthday.

In case of your brothers, their 18th birthday has long passed.

They will need to move to the UK on a relevant visa, meet the relevant conditions, get ILR and then naturalise in the usual way.

EDIT: Overtaken by CR001.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.