ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pre-settled status as unmarried partner with EEA card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fett33
Newly Registered
India

Pre-settled status as unmarried partner with EEA card

Post by fett33 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:51 pm

I am due to receive my EEA residence card as unmarried partner on 27th Dec. My EU partner holds a permanent residence card (blue card).

We plan to apply to the settled scheme together. My understanding is that I can apply directly through the mobile app with him because I hold an EEA card. My question is:
1. Do we need to prove our relationship duration again when applying to settlement scheme? (even though I just got the card!)
2. Do I need to do Biometrics again?
3. Does anyone have experience in this? How long does the process take if you already have EEA card?

iwolga
United Kingdom

Re: Pre-settled status as unmarried partner with EEA card

Post by iwolga » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:30 am

fett33 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:51 pm
I am due to receive my EEA residence card as unmarried partner on 27th Dec. My EU partner holds a permanent residence card (blue card).

We plan to apply to the settled scheme together. My understanding is that I can apply directly through the mobile app with him because I hold an EEA card. My question is:
1. Do we need to prove our relationship duration again when applying to settlement scheme? (even though I just got the card!)
3. Does anyone have experience in this? How long does the process take if you already have EEA card?
I’ll be curious to know the answers as well. I hope I get my EEA card soon too!

I just know your partner shall apply first as you’ll need his/her # to quote in your application. From the research that I did, I believe you can apply online with RC and - I think - also give bio.

It’s an interesting Q re proof of relationship. I had my EEA FP in Aug 2019, travelled to UK in Aug 2019, applied for EEA card in Sept 2019. And - basically - provided the same paperwork as for FP with the exception of photos and WhatsApp chats. But did give proof of addresses.

Overall the process of getting EEA card after FP makes little sense to me: we should have been already thoroughly checked during first application! Long story short, I won’t be surprised if getting EU settlement status will require a new bunch of papers to prove things.

kamoe
European Union

Re: Pre-settled status as unmarried partner with EEA card

Post by kamoe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:26 am

fett33 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:51 pm
My understanding is that I can apply directly through the mobile app with him because I hold an EEA card.
Your understanding is correct.
No. You dont need to provide anything else, since the EEA card is proof itself.

Now, what counts here is not your relationship duration but the issue date of your first EEA document; in your case, it will be a few days, which will give you pre-settled status (you will qualify for Settled Status when you complete 5 years after the issue date of your card, previous relationship time as unmarried partner does not count).
No. Because you will not receive a new card. You are supposed to use your EEA card.
3. Does anyone have experience in this?
I do.
How long does the process take if you already have EEA card?
Guess what? It depends.

If you have lived in the UK less than 5 years in total, OR more than 5 years as the family member of a EU citizen, then I understand is rather quick, between 48 hours and a couple of weeks.

If you have lived more than 5 years in the UK AND less than 5 years as the family member of a EU citizen, you're in for a little bit of a wait (My pre-settled status took exactly 5 months).

It seems like the Home Office did not know how to handle cases where NINO history of more than 5 years indicated eligibility for Settled Status (which applies only if the applicant is EU citizen) but the applicant is a non-EU family member, which means the 5 years alone are not enough condition for Settled Status. They decided they had to call each applicant in this situation individually and have them verbally agree over the phone that they are OK with only Pre-Settled status. And because this is apparently not straightforward and they need to show numbers, these applications are not a priority. Hence, the wait.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.