ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

seanhodges
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by seanhodges » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:05 pm

fvigaud wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:39 pm
seanhodges wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:17 pm
Thanks to this excellent thread, I was already aware that my application might be approaching its end (email acknowledging receipt of application 19th March 2019).
Today I got my first indication - an email requesting more info :cry:
They say they couldn't reach the solicitor (lawyer in my office) who certified some documents, and now require that I send them a headed paper letter confirming that she did the certifying.
They also want a letter from the teacher who certified my dad's passport copy.
They want it to reach them within 28 days, or they will terminate my application.

On the plus side - my application is still live, and if I make their deadline it sounds like there won't be much delay :D
Hmmmm, has anyone else experienced this? Any clue why this might have occurred in Sean's case? I've been watching this forum since April 2019 and don't recall this coming up before.
I have a problem - the solicitor can't write me a letter on company headed paper because she did the certification in a private capacity. I think I'll have to try calling Ireland and explaining....
Can anyone give me the number I should call (saves me searching)

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:49 am

roxannelc wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:01 pm

I was an early March and I was added to the FBR last Thursday (19/12/19), so it took 9 months 2 weeks for me. Fingers crossed for you.
Congrats! Thanks for the positive waves--roxannelc. Hoping by end of March for me but if it takes longer oh well..patience is a virtue,right?
jgclancy

seanhodges
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seanhodges » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:15 am

Found the number (website is very easy to navigate; +353 1 671 1633), got through within a minute and spoke to a guy who was able to retrieve all my details very quickly. He suggested that they would send out a new form for re-witnessing the document, since I couldn't comply with the headed letter request. I asked if that would mean going to the back of the 9 month queue and he assured me it wouldn't (phew!)

chrisinpm
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by chrisinpm » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Just wanted to wish my fellow applicants (and especially Sulla for his tireless work in keeping up the applicant list) a happy holiday season. Here's hoping we're all newly-minted Irish citizens in 2020! :D

DavidDunlop
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by DavidDunlop » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:29 pm

Hello everyone,
How can I check the birth register to see if my mother or grandmother ever registered on the register ? This is key for me to get my Irish citizenship and can’t find anyway online.
Thanks

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:50 pm

chrisinpm wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:23 pm
Just wanted to wish my fellow applicants (and especially Sulla for his tireless work in keeping up the applicant list) a happy holiday season. Here's hoping we're all newly-minted Irish citizens in 2020! :D
Thank you. Best Christmas wished to everyone else.

Celebrating Christmas is now actively discouraged in China and is probably on the way out. However, I will do my best to enjoy it here with family.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:03 pm

DavidDunlop wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:29 pm
Hello everyone,
How can I check the birth register to see if my mother or grandmother ever registered on the register ? This is key for me to get my Irish citizenship and can’t find anyway online.
Thanks
This I do not know. It would be very helpful to have access to such a database for applicants that are in the dark about family background. Perhaps if you contact the FBR section they will be able to advise you. However, I don't image the register is public, so there will likely be some identity verification procedure to pass through before they allow access to private citizenship information.

mattskilondon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration and Adoptions

Post by mattskilondon » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:01 am

jimdal86 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:08 pm
Hi all,
Just a heads up for anyone applying with adoption in the family history. I posted back in October as my December 2018 application was being dealt with. In dealing with it, issues arose with my father's birth certificates. He was born in the UK and registered under my Irish grandmother's maiden name as no father was present and she was a single mum. She later remarried and my father was adopted by his stepdad. In cases of adoption, the dfa require the full adoption birth certificate (easily obtained from UK General Registry office [providing adoptee is aware]). They also require the original adoption court order, this is much harder to obtain. My Grandmother had destroyed it (another long-winded story in itself!!) and the court in which it was issued had shutdown. I am waiting (for 5 weeks now) for confirmation from the court that now holds the historic records of the closed court, that it does have the document to get things back on track.
I have similar circumstances and was also asked to provide my mum’s adoption court order. The court no longer exists (it was a Petty Sessional Division, now merged into a Magistrates Court) and the records were lost or destroyed over time but I got an email trail from the court to me via an adoption agency to this effect and including very limited info they had about my mother and her Irish father, which the DFA accepted. I got my FBR fine once they had this. So they are somewhat flexible on what is really a huge ask. Anyhow sounds like you’re on track so good luck with your app!

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:31 pm

Sulla wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 am
Joey

Secondly, I think for many people there is a peace of mind element too. The agency is there to answer all the questions you may have about certificates, inconsistencies etc. Getting answers from the DFA is not easy after all. Many people want to ensure their application and document set are picture perfect before submission, so as to avoid delays. There is a really good US based agency, operating out of Chicago, that deals with Italian and Irish citizenship by descent applications. They claim a 100% success rate with FBR. I can see why some people find that appealing.
Sulla, what is the name of the agency in Chicago, please? I’d like to pass it onto a friend in Chicago who is having some difficulty gathering the documents. Thank you

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:57 pm

fvigaud wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:31 pm
Sulla wrote:
Joey

Secondly, I think for many people there is a peace of mind element too. The agency is there to answer all the questions you may have about certificates, inconsistencies etc. Getting answers from the DFA is not easy after all. Many people want to ensure their application and document set are picture perfect before submission, so as to avoid delays. There is a really good US based agency, operating out of Chicago, that deals with Italian and Irish citizenship by descent applications. They claim a 100% success rate with FBR. I can see why some people find that appealing.
Sulla, what is the name of the agency in Chicago, please? I’d like to pass it onto a friend in Chicago who is having some difficulty gathering the documents. Thank you
I cannot post direct links to service providers in the forum. However, if you do a google search for the key words "Irish" + "citizenship" + "consultants" It will be the top search result. The founder's name is xxxx. They seem to be based in Ireland now.

It should be noted that I did not use this agency. I used another one (foolishly) based on the fact that the other one responded sooner.

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:56 am

Sulla wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:57 pm
fvigaud wrote:
Sulla wrote:
Joey

There is a really good US based agency, operating out of Chicago, that deals with Italian and Irish citizenship by descent applications. They claim a 100% success rate with FBR. I can see why some people find that appealing.
I cannot post direct links to service providers in the forum. However, if you do a google search for the key words "Irish" + "citizenship" + "consultants" It will be the top search result. The founder's name is xxxx. They seem to be based in Ireland now.

It should be noted that I did not use this agency. I used another one (foolishly) based on the fact that the other one responded sooner.
THANK YOU and happy holidays

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:43 pm

fvigaud wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:56 am
Sulla wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:57 pm
fvigaud wrote:
Sulla wrote:
Joey

There is a really good US based agency, operating out of Chicago, that deals with Italian and Irish citizenship by descent applications. They claim a 100% success rate with FBR. I can see why some people find that appealing.
I cannot post direct links to service providers in the forum. However, if you do a google search for the key words "Irish" + "citizenship" + "consultants" It will be the top search result. The founder's name is xxxxx. They seem to be based in Ireland now.

THANK YOU and happy holidays
Xxxxx is wonderful and as far as I know she's still in Chicago. She handled my application, and affidavit which I needed due to a record I was unable to locate.

ReturningIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ReturningIrish » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm afraid I don't have any updates on my daughter's application, but I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing and especially Sulla for keeping track of everything, we'd all be in the dark without your hard work. A belated "merry Christmas" to everyone who celebrated on Wednesday. :D

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:28 am

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and have a great new year .

I am now planning to do my passport application next month if possible because last time my FBR application was held up waiting for a doctors appointment to get my application witnessed .

I went to get my photos done in the photo booth at Boots (Walgreens in the US) but I had 2 options either hard copy or digital copy so I wasn't sure which ones to get .

Hard copy is good for being witnessed and sending in a paper application , But does the paper application take much longer ?

Digital photos are good for doing the online application but you can't get a witness to sign the back so how do you get around this or is for another item for the witness to sign ?

Please advice on the pros and cons , thanks in advance .

Good luck to all of you on your FBR , passport applications in 2020

seanhodges
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seanhodges » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:33 am

I'll be drinking Guinness this lunchtime; I got through to the lovely lady at the FBR section (xxxxxx) who said she would accept a business card as evidence that my witness is genuine (already pinched one off witness's desk).
So I only have to send in two documents, both of which have been obtained, for my application to continue, with finalisation imminent.

Planning a St Patrick's Day party on 17th March.... :D

Moderator edit : kindly do not name officials on the forum as they have not given their permission for you to post their personal details on an internet forum.

tom_bcfc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tom_bcfc » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi everyone, slightly confused here. Sent documents directly to balbriggan which were recorded on 12th March. Recieved an email today for the first time from dfa. Saying
Please confirm your current address. If you have changed your address since making the application, please submit proof of your new address. Proof of a new address can be accepted by scanned email.

I am currently processing your application to obtain Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Birth Register. Unfortunately, I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

- Your original civil birth certificate

- Proof of your home address x 3 (utility bills, bank statements etc)

- Your mother’s original civil birth certificate

- Your parent’s original civil marriage certificate

- Your grandfather’s original birth certificate

- Your grandparent’s original civil marriage certificate

Please submit these documents within 28 days directly to me at the below address (by registered post), clearly marking it with your name and application number.

What confuses me is I sent all these documents which were received on 12th March. So why are they asking for them again? Is this normal??? Thanks in advance for your reply.

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:11 pm

tom_bcfc wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:16 pm
Hi everyone, slightly confused here. Sent documents directly to balbriggan which were recorded on 12th March. Recieved an email today for the first time from dfa. Saying
Please confirm your current address. If you have changed your address since making the application, please submit proof of your new address. Proof of a new address can be accepted by scanned email.

I am currently processing your application to obtain Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Birth Register. Unfortunately, I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

- Your original civil birth certificate

- Proof of your home address x 3 (utility bills, bank statements etc)

- Your mother’s original civil birth certificate

- Your parent’s original civil marriage certificate

- Your grandfather’s original birth certificate

- Your grandparent’s original civil marriage certificate

Please submit these documents within 28 days directly to me at the below address (by registered post), clearly marking it with your name and application number.

What confuses me is I sent all these documents which were received on 12th March. So why are they asking for them again? Is this normal??? Thanks in advance for your reply.
That's a lot of documents . You should call them.
jgclancy

tom_bcfc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tom_bcfc » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:19 pm

What's really worrying me now is they have lost all my supporting documentation?! Still makes no sense as I recieved a confirmation email off them in march a few days after I sent it to say it was recieved, everything was sent together, so how have they recieved the application but not the rest :? I Have tracking proof from royal mail which says it was delivered the same day I recieved the email off them to say it was recieved. Not good

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:09 am

tom_bcfc wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:19 pm
What's really worrying me now is they have lost all my supporting documentation?! Still makes no sense as I recieved a confirmation email off them in march a few days after I sent it to say it was recieved, everything was sent together, so how have they recieved the application but not the rest :? I Have tracking proof from royal mail which says it was delivered the same day I recieved the email off them to say it was recieved. Not good
I'd say a very likely possibility here is that they've just made a mistake when writing their letter to you. Given that they've been facing such a high volume of applications, it's highly likely that they've set up a universal letter template in Word so they can just delete the bits that don't apply. I reckon they only intended to write to confirm your address, but forgot to delete all the other bits from the letter template. If I'm right,that's good news as it means you'll soon be getting your certificate. Obviously, you'll want to phone or email them to check though.

Jamie1995
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jamie1995 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:15 am

Hi Everyone.

I sent my application form last week to the DFA to begin my journey to citizenship. I am doing this based on descent through a grandparent. Unfortunately I’ve messed up tremendously. I’ve sent off everything but my mums documents (didn’t think I needed too because she’s English and completely missed the part about children of Irish citizens being citizens too).

Is my application going to be rejected? I am so worried about losing the money I paid - I’m sure you all know that it’s quite a bit! Or can I request the documents back/send off my additional documentation separately?

I could honestly hit myself right now 🤦🏼‍♂️

Many thanks,

Jamie

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:38 am

Jamie1995 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:15 am
Hi Everyone.

I sent my application form last week to the DFA to begin my journey to citizenship. I am doing this based on descent through a grandparent. Unfortunately I’ve messed up tremendously. I’ve sent off everything but my mums documents (didn’t think I needed too because she’s English and completely missed the part about children of Irish citizens being citizens too).

Is my application going to be rejected? I am so worried about losing the money I paid - I’m sure you all know that it’s quite a bit! Or can I request the documents back/send off my additional documentation separately?

Many thanks,

Jamie

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 am

Jamie1995- Don't worry -just call them and explain what you did. They'll just tell you to mail the missing documents. Make sure you put application number on outside of mail

jgclancy

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:02 am

Jamie1995 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:15 am
Hi Everyone.

Many thanks,

Jamie
All that will happen is that you are going to have to send them the documents that you forgot to send initially. You can either do this proactively by calling up the DFA and explaining the situation or reactively by waiting for them to call you to request additional information 6 months or more down the line. For your peace of mind I suggest the former route.

In any case, you won't lose the money you paid. The DFA will actually refund the application fees of rejected applicants.

tom_bcfc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tom_bcfc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:11 pm

Panic over! Spoke to an advisor on the phone today, they had found all the documentation on a separate pouch... so my citizenship has been officially approved today and the certificates are taking 3 weeks to be printed at the moment, and then he said allow 2 weeks for it to be posted to England. So here's my timeline and a nice new years present!!!!

6 March - Application Submitted
12 March- Application recieved in balbriggan
30 December - Address confirmed
31 December- Confirmation of citizenship email

Hoping to have certificate in hand for the beginning of February which would make it almost 11 months for me.

Happy new year to everyone.

Cheers

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:35 pm

tom_bcfc wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:11 pm
Panic over! Spoke to an advisor on the phone today, they had found all the documentation on a separate pouch... so my citizenship has been officially approved today ......

Happy new year to everyone.

Cheers

Good to hear and CONGRATS !!!!

jgclancy