ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working tax credits and child tax credits. Pls help me...

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Fuscia

Working tax credits and child tax credits. Pls help me...

Post by Fuscia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:48 pm

understand..

My husband has been in the UK since 2003. He was here on a four year student visa, last year in October we got married and he changed to a spouse visa (I am British), we are now expecting our first child. I am a housewife and my husband works and support me financially. I checked online and I am entitled to child tax credits and because my husbands wage is below the yearly threshold which is 15575 - I think, can we also claim working tax credits without affecting my husbands ILR? I know we have to make a claim as a joint couple, but won't it be as though my husband is claiming the working tax seen as though he is the one that is working and I am not? The main thing I want to know is will it affect his ILR?

I am really confused I have been searching and searching but I can't find a definite answer. Any links/sources would be appreciated. Many many thanks.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Fuscia

Post by Fuscia » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks for the reply Sakura.

It's just that I'm still confused, my husband works and I don't (I am British, he is not), the cases you have pointed out are the British spouse working, in my case I am not working but my husband is and we will be claiming the WTC because my husband is earning less than the threshold. It's confusing.

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:30 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think it really matters who is employed since the application must be made jointly and the claim is assessed as a household, not as an individual. So, even though it is your husband working, they will assess it as a joint claim, not that *he* is making the claim. Hopefully John will be along to answer with certainty, he's the master at this topic!

Also, once you have the baby, do not forget that you (not your husband) can put in a claim for Child Benefit!

Fuscia

Post by Fuscia » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Any input John? Thanks.

mnf441
Newly Registered

Post by mnf441 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:10 pm

here's a quick way to find this out... ask your hubby to read the letter at the back of his approved spouse visa.... the one that tells you explicitly which benefits you can and SHOULD NOT claim!

if he didn't get this letter, he can call them up for it.

k

Thandia

Re: Working tax credits and child tax credits. Pls help me..

Post by Thandia » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Fuscia wrote:understand..

My husband has been in the UK since 2003. He was here on a four year student visa, last year in October we got married and he changed to a spouse visa (I am British), we are now expecting our first child. I am a housewife and my husband works and support me financially. I checked online and I am entitled to child tax credits and because my husbands wage is below the yearly threshold which is 15575 - I think, can we also claim working tax credits without affecting my husbands ILR? I know we have to make a claim as a joint couple, but won't it be as though my husband is claiming the working tax seen as though he is the one that is working and I am not? The main thing I want to know is will it affect his ILR?

I am really confused I have been searching and searching but I can't find a definite answer. Any links/sources would be appreciated. Many many thanks.
As far as I'm aware, you can apply for child tax credits & chuld benefit but you cannot apply for working tax credit. Reason being that the person making the working tax credit claim must be in employment of @ least 16 hours & 30 hours if they're 25 & over seeing as you clearly aren't working, then u cant because the working tax credit must be applied for by the person who is working (it goes on top of your salary & is paid with your salary if that hasnt changed). This is what we've been told when assisting such couples.

Working Tax Credit is paid to the person who is working 16 hours or more a week. Couples, if both of you are working 16 hours or more a week, must choose which one of you will receive it. You cannot receive Working Tax Credit if you are not working.

http://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov ... edits.aspx

Fuscia

Post by Fuscia » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks for your replies. When i fill in the form online it asks whether you or partner are subject to immigration control, i filled it all in and it say that i am entitled. And the whole thing about it being a joint claim. It's so confusing. I seen a similar case on another forum and the woman successfully claimed without affecting her husbadns ilr. So still confused. Thanks for your help anyway!!

Fuscia

Re: Working tax credits and child tax credits. Pls help me..

Post by Fuscia » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:05 pm

Thandia wrote: As far as I'm aware, you can apply for child tax credits & chuld benefit but you cannot apply for working tax credit. Reason being that the person making the working tax credit claim must be in employment of @ least 16 hours & 30 hours if they're 25 & over seeing as you clearly aren't working, then u cant because the working tax credit must be applied for by the person who is working (it goes on top of your salary & is paid with your salary if that hasnt changed). This is what we've been told when assisting such couples.

Working Tax Credit is paid to the person who is working 16 hours or more a week. Couples, if both of you are working 16 hours or more a week, must choose which one of you will receive it. You cannot receive Working Tax Credit if you are not working.

http://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov ... edits.aspx
Sorry thought I would, a JOINT claim is being made and
in view of reg 3(2), Tax Credits (Immigration) Regulations 2003, for Tax Credits purposes only, both of the couple are treated as not subject to Immigration Control. Technically, even though Tax Credits is within the definition of Public Funds as defined in rule 6 of the Immigration Rules, in respect of this, as a couple one British spouse(myself) and one non-British (my husband), because of rule 6B, Tax Credits are not within the definition of Public Funds as stated in rule 6B and indeed the Tax Credits (Immigration) Regulations 2003.

Therefore, in theory, our claim for tax credits (including working tax credits) should not affect my husbands application for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Can anyone confirm this?

brownbonno
Netherlands

Post by brownbonno » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:31 am

For tax credit purposes,your spouse immigration control status is disregarded.The status can only be regarded if both of you are under immigration control and will not be allow CT/WTC under the recourse to public rules.
Knowledge is Power

Fuscia

Post by Fuscia » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:19 pm

So technically it shouldnt be a problem. And when it asks for whether you have recourse to public funds it should be ok to say no as WTC a CTC are not seen as recorse to public funds.... am i rite?

finfin
Newly Registered

Post by finfin » Wed May 27, 2009 10:16 pm

Yes, I think it wouldn't be a problem to say no in your case. Also, if you are having any more troubles figuring out your taxes, I suggest you visit this sas70 group to find answers to all your questions.

khan85

Post by khan85 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:57 am

hi...

i was confused by this aswell so i emailed the home office and they confirmed that it is totally okay to claim WTC.. and John also advised its okay..

1963British

Post by 1963British » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:51 pm

It is indeed very confusing but as long as one is a UK Citizen it is disregarded.

lolly10
Newly Registered

tax credits

Post by lolly10 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:18 am

I am britsh husband is under immigration control and is not allowed to work in the uk. I have just started working 20hours a week, I have one child. Do I qualify for working tax credits and child tax credits. As he is unable to work the 24hours you are to work to be eligible does this still apply? Thanks