ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Items of correspondence

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alijsultani
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Items of correspondence

Post by alijsultani » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:02 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of filling a FLR (M) extension for my wife and had a question about proof of address. We stay at a house that is owned my my parents and pay no rent, insurance, mortgage or council tax. I have a letter from my parents to confirm this as well as land registry documents to show they own the property.

I have plenty of documents under my name from various sources to show my address such as gas & electricity, TV licence, HMRC, employment, banking etc.

My wife, who the extension is for, only has NHS, bank, telephone and one is names on the water bill with me. She doesn't work so has no employment, HMRC or pay any other bill. I have just renewed the TV licence under her name so she is listed as the owner for more proof..

Do the below documents count as joint items of correspondence to provide further document.
  • Car insurance document under my name but my wife is names driver
  • Bupa healthcare under my name but her and my children are named on the policy
  • NHS letter address as "To the parent/guardian off (my children's name)"
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Items of correspondence

Post by geoeng » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:52 am

If the document is not addressed to your wife, it is unlikely to qualify as evidence of correspondence. This would include policies that your wife is named on unless the correspondence was also addressed to her as it is otherwise really only proof of your address. Bank statements, letters from NHS or GP, telephone or utility bills, and the TV licence can all be used.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:36 pm

alijsultani wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:02 am

My wife, who the extension is for, only has NHS, bank, telephone and one is names on the water bill with me.
How about DVLA documents such as driving licence, V5 or other notifications, tesco/sainsbury club cards letters, new sim card letter, electoral registration letter etc.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

rssfed23
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rssfed23 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Electoral letter yes.

But all of those other things anyone can get at any address. Tesco doesn't check your address is actually yours before issuing a clubcard.

So think of it that way around; if a company has done some kind of ID/credit check or asked you to prove your address to them in the past (banks are a good one) then those are fine. V5 registration can go anywhere.

Phone bills are also a last resort item as the bar of entry is much lower for a phone contract than for a credit card. If it's only a new sim letter then forget about it as phone companies ask you where you want the sim to go when ordering a new one!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:13 pm

rssfed23 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:57 pm
Electoral letter yes.

But all of those other things anyone can get at any address. Tesco doesn't check your address is actually yours before issuing a clubcard.

So think of it that way around; if a company has done some kind of ID/credit check or asked you to prove your address to them in the past (banks are a good one) then those are fine. V5 registration can go anywhere.

Phone bills are also a last resort item as the bar of entry is much lower for a phone contract than for a credit card. If it's only a new sim letter then forget about it as phone companies ask you where you want the sim to go when ordering a new one!
For meeting the cohabitation requirement the document/letter should be addressed in relevant person's name and can be from any source. HO won't perform any credit check for this purpose. The list of documents in guidance such as utility bills, bank statements, council tax etc is just an illustration.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.