ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by BigDaddy100 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:50 pm

tom_bcfc wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:11 pm
Panic over! Spoke to an advisor on the phone today, they had found all the documentation on a separate pouch... so my citizenship has been officially approved today and the certificates are taking 3 weeks to be printed at the moment, and then he said allow 2 weeks for it to be posted to England. So here's my timeline and a nice new years present!!!!

6 March - Application Submitted
12 March- Application recieved in balbriggan
30 December - Address confirmed
31 December- Confirmation of citizenship email

Hoping to have certificate in hand for the beginning of February which would make it almost 11 months for me.

Happy new year to everyone.

Cheers
Congratulations to you!
I just reached the six-month milestone. Hopefully less than six more to go. :wink:
Happy New Year!

BigDaddy100

cdcd2cs2ds
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cdcd2cs2ds » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:08 pm

I'm currently in the process of gathering all the required documents, so far, I have:
- My birth certificate
- My dad's birth certificate
- Photocopies of mine and parent's passport
- Proof of addresses x3, Passport-style photos x 4
I've sent off for:
- Grandparent's birth certificate
- Grandparent's marriage certificate
- 2x Parent marriage certificate

I'm a little concerned about the following:
1) My grandparent does not have ID that I can photocopy and send. I phoned up the FBR helpline and asked about this and they said to include proof of address for him instead. Does anyone else have experience with doing this? It seems they are constantly asking for additional documents.
2) My dad is married twice, divorced twice. I have sent off for both the marriage certificates, but only have one divorce certificate, which is for my parents' marriage. Do you think they will request to see the other divorce certificate from the marriage unrelated to me as the applicant?
3) On my dad's passport, it only says 'British citizen'. He has never had an Irish passport as he never realized he was an Irish citizen. Will the fact it doesn't say he's a dual citizen on there make the FBR people suspicious?

Thanks.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 am

cdcd2cs2ds wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:08 pm
I'm currently in the process of gathering all the required documents, so far, I have:
- My birth certificate
I've sent off for:

1) My grandparent does not have ID that I can photocopy and send. I phoned up the FBR helpline and asked about this and they said to include proof of address for him instead. Does anyone else have experience with doing this? It seems they are constantly asking for additional documents.
2) My dad is married twice, divorced twice. I have sent off for both the marriage certificates, but only have one divorce certificate, which is for my parents' marriage. Do you think they will request to see the other divorce certificate from the marriage unrelated to me as the applicant?
3) On my dad's passport, it only says 'British citizen'. He has never had an Irish passport as he never realized he was an Irish citizen. Will the fact it doesn't say he's a dual citizen on there make the FBR people suspicious?

Thanks.
To answer your points:

1) Usually, some form of government photo ID is absolutely needed. In some cases, a bus-pass has been used. This is when parents or grandparents lacked passports or driving licences. I never heard of proof of address being sufficient, but if you called and that's what was said then it should be fine. I suggest enclosing a letter detailing the situation and the instructions you received with your application.

2) I was told that all such certificates were needed and I had to source divorce certificates for a later marriage unrelated to my chain of descent. However, some others have been told that their own marriage certificate was not required if they did not change their name. This is certainly not what I was told. It seems there is some variation in the strictness of interpretation between different DFA officials. You can call again and ask or play it safe by enclosing all divorce certificates. When you fill in the application form you will have to designate you father as married / divorced. I would think that the certificates you provide should match the marital status indicated.

3) This is a normal situation and there is nothing suspicious. Nothing to worry about.

cdcd2cs2ds
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cdcd2cs2ds » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:21 am

Sulla wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 am
cdcd2cs2ds wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:08 pm
- My birth certificate
I've sent off for:

Thanks.
To answer your points:

1) Usually, some form of government photo ID is absolutely needed. In some cases, a bus-pass has been used. This is when parents or grandparents lacked passports or driving licences. I never heard of proof of address being sufficient, but if you called and that's what was said then it should be fine. I suggest enclosing a letter detailing the situation and the instructions you received with your application.

2) I was told that all such certificates were needed and I had to source divorce certificates for a later marriage unrelated to my chain of descent. However, some others have been told that their own marriage certificate was not required if they did not change their name. This is certainly not what I was told. It seems there is some variation in the strictness of interpretation between different DFA officials. You can call again and ask or play it safe by enclosing all divorce certificates. When you fill in the application form you will have to designate you father as married / divorced. I would think that the certificates you provide should match the marital status indicated.

3) This is a normal situation and there is nothing suspicious. Nothing to worry about.
Many thanks for the reply.
I will check to see if my grandparent has a buss pass, and will ring again to the FBR helpline to double check about the proof of address bit. Maybe a different person has a different interpretation, as you said.
When I spoke to the FBR official before, he also said that divorce certificates weren't required, but if they are needed I would receive contact from them requesting them later on down the line. I don't have any other access to the first divorce certificate other than paying £45 for it to be tracked down, so I guess I'll wait and see if it's absolutely needed before doing that.

Thanks again!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:09 pm

DavidDunlop wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:29 pm
Hello everyone,
How can I check the birth register to see if my mother or grandmother ever registered on the register ? This is key for me to get my Irish citizenship and can’t find anyway online.
Thanks
I have watched this board for almost two years and never seen anyone report that they were able to get information about a family member's registration. Nor have I found anything from DFA on the web that suggests it is an option. It may be possible. But here's some things you might want to consider before embarking on what could be a lot of work that still leads to a dead end.

As you have likely deduced, the FBR process takes money, time and a lot of documents, stamps, witness signatures, etc. While it can be fairly straightforward, it isn't something you do casually. You have to want it enough to take the steps needed. I have siblings and cousins who know I am an Irish citizen and that they too qualify. But they apparently are not interested enough to apply themselves. Wouldn't you think that if your grandmother and mother had gone through all that, they would have let you know so that you can do the same? I registered long after my children were born. So they don't qualify. But considering what I had to do to apply, I don't think I would neglected to tell them so that they could obtain FBR before they have children.

Also, you should consider that applying for FBR a generation or two ago was probably a lot more work. I ordered all the certificates I needed online. And I learned about the process from the DFA website. Someone who did the same before the Internet would have had a much more difficult process. Without the DFA website, I am not sure how I would have started, other than trying to find a solicitor in Ireland or travel to Dublin to do research. If that were the case, I doubt I would have done it. So again, don't you think they would have told you they had registered if they went through all of that?

Good luck.

IrishNJUSAMan
United States of America

Post by IrishNJUSAMan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:23 am

Well it is now a tad over 7 months since I received my confirmation of documents email. I am hoping that the processing center has gained productivity and process gains. I just hope I hear from them during month 8 (end of Jan) or the latest in Feb. Like most people going through this process the waiting/no communication is just brutal. My email confirm date of all my docs is May 27.2019. I'm eager since I want to apply immediately thereafter for the Irish Passport, I will do that in person at the Irish Embassy on Park Ave in NYC. I remain optimistic. I enjoy reading all the updates here on this board.

kmosfet
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by kmosfet » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:51 am

Hello.

Just wanted to update my status. FBR showed up in the mail Dec 30th and I immediately sent out my passport application to the Ottawa Irish embassy as instructed.

I have a job offer in Amsterdam starting date March 1st. Gotta have that EU passport for it to go through. Any ideas on how long the passport applications are taking for Canada or US?

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:29 am

IrishNJUSAMan wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:23 am
...I am hoping that the processing center has gained productivity and process gains. I just hope I hear from them during month 8 (end of Jan) or the latest in Feb. Like most people going through this process the waiting/no communication is just brutal...
p.83 of this thread has Sulla's December list of waiting times, and 9 or 10 months is still the average. If I were you, I'd resign myself to the end of March and have a much less frustrating start to 2020 - a watched pot never boils, and all that.

IrishNJUSAMan
United States of America

Post by IrishNJUSAMan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 am

Thx @brexitescape but I will remain with my optimist approach and hope for month 8 or 9
I did see Sulas update and all others
I’m not frustrated at all, the process seems way too long and archaic but I’m already past the 7 month mark so it’s just a bit longer
You hang in there though, no pain no gain ....

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:16 am

kmosfet wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:51 am
Hello.

Just wanted to update my status. FBR showed up in the mail Dec 30th and I immediately sent out my passport application to the Ottawa Irish embassy as instructed.

I have a job offer in Amsterdam starting date March 1st. Gotta have that EU passport for it to go through. Any ideas on how long the passport applications are taking for Canada or US?
The embassy website for Canada says allow at least 12 weeks.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/canada ... ort-today/

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 am

Hi everyone,

New to this board, thanks in advance for your advice. I'm planning to apply for FBR, then passport, through my grandfather who was born in Ireland in 1870s. I discovered that the birthdate on his Irish birth certificate is exactly one year off from that his US death certiificate. (Still waiting for US marriage certificate so not sure what, if any, birth date is on that.)

Will I need to have this error corrected or will FBR just consider this an administrative matter and accept the documents as-is?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:05 am

TrishMc wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 am
Hi everyone,

New to this board, thanks in advance for your advice. I'm planning to apply for FBR, then passport, through my grandfather who was born in Ireland in 1870s. I discovered that the birthdate on his Irish birth certificate is exactly one year off from that his US death certiificate. (Still waiting for US marriage certificate so not sure what, if any, birth date is on that.)

Will I need to have this error corrected or will FBR just consider this an administrative matter and accept the documents as-is?

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:10 am

jgclancy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:05 am
TrishMc wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 am
Hi everyone,

I'd just send the documents as they are with an added letter about the discrepancy. The fact that the day & month are exactly the same is a sign of a simple error.They're used to such things.
jgclancy

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:13 am

Thanks for the encouraging words, that's very comforting. Will keep you posted.

pissedoffbyinis
Pakistan

Post by pissedoffbyinis » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:17 am

For records only - i have applied for Foreign Birth Registration for my new born kid through Brussels embassy.
Lets c how long it takes to process the application.

Run24
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Run24 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:25 am

Hi I just had a question about gaining citizenship, my father is an Irish citizen from decent of grandparents but only after I was born. I was wondering how can I gain citizenship as well. Since my great grandparents were born on the island does that mean anything for me. If I cant gain citizenship by decent and I have to do it by naturalization can I use association/being blood related without living in Ireland at the moment. thank you for your help.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 am

FBR certificate in hand, what an amazing way to begin 2020! Updated timeline is as follows:

29 January 2019: application received email (sent via FedEx from US)
26 November 2019: address confirmation requested
19 December 2019: DFA email stating added to FBR 26/11
3 January 2020: FBR certificate received, signature was required, date of entry is 26/11

They have enclosed a passport application form, but also a leaflet indicating "all passport applications including first time applicants" should apply using Passport Online if you reside in the EEA, EU, Ireland, or UK. My email from the DFA of 19/12 also indicated the same and provided me with the link to do so - www.dfa.ie/passportonline. I have relocated to the UK since my application was submitted and hold legal residency here. But when I try to use the Passport Online service I can't seem to find a way to apply as a first timer, it asks if my passport is expired or was lost/stolen but there doesn't seem to be an option for first time applicants.Has anyone else had any luck applying online after receiving their certificate?

cdcd2cs2ds
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cdcd2cs2ds » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Well, my grandparent's birth certificate just arrived, ahead of schedule.
The Irish register office is much quicker than the UK one it seems!
One issue, however: The middle name for my grandfather listed on my father's marriage and birth certificates does not appear on my grandfather's birth certificate. It only lists his first name. Is this a normal discrepancy?

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:12 pm

cdcd2cs2ds wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 pm
One issue, however: The middle name for my grandfather listed on my father's marriage and birth certificates does not appear on my grandfather's birth certificate. It only lists his first name. Is this a normal discrepancy?
Completely normal and very common.

tom_bcfc
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tom_bcfc » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:03 pm

Looking for some advise regarding passport as hoping to receive fbr in 4 weeks

I live in the liverpool area and am aware there is a passport Express service from here. Has anyone used it? If so what are the costs? How long did it take you to receive your passport?

Can you apply for passport online using foriegn birth certificate?

Thanks in advance for your replys

cdcd2cs2ds
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by cdcd2cs2ds » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:44 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:12 pm
cdcd2cs2ds wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 pm
Completely normal and very common.
Great, good to know, thanks.

The print quality of the birth certificate copy is absolutely awful anyway, I hope they can read it. Even knowing the details on it I have trouble making the names and dates out.

Roots1970
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Roots1970 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi this is my first post so please bear with me....

I am in the process of putting together an FBR application for my 17 year old son.

I will be doing the application on his behalf as he is classed as a minor.

I have read and gathered that the timeline from submitting the application to receiving the certificate is about 10-12 months.

My son will turn 18 in October 2020 and I am hoping to send the application by early February once copy certificates are received

This is my question and concern -

What will happen if my son ceases to be a minor while we are waiting?

Will the application be rejected because it will then be that he can apply himself?

I cannot wait until he is 18 as he is hoping to have citizenship by Easter 2021 when he will be going to live with family in Ireland to continue his studies.

Any advice or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:01 pm

New timelines list with updates. There have not been all that many changes over the festive period.

May 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Jacqui309 – received May 15th / (Added to FBR October 1st 2019) Yes, it actually took that long!!
Kellie18 – received May 16th / (Added to FBR December 3rd 2018)
Emma86 – received May 30th (Added to FBR November 20th 2018)

June 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Ben321 – received mid-June / Pending (coming soon)
Cindy – received June 14th / Pending
156Nathan – received June 16th (Added to FBR November 14th 2018)

July 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Brawn – received July 2nd (Added to FBR March 13th 2019)
Jpauls – received July 12th (Added to FBR November 13th 2018)
Nick1066 _ received July 18th online date (Added to FBR November 14th 2018)
BostonCeltics – received July 20th (Added to FBR November 15th 2018)
Stephen F – received July 20th 2018 (Added to FBR unknown / Certificate received January 10th 2019)
Samantha – received July 22nd / (Added to FBR July 2nd 2019) Thai Case
James_mcfc – received July 25th (Added to the FBR November 27th 2018)
Rbs3 – received July 27th (Added to FBR March 26th 2019)
Rdslight – received July 31st (Added to FBR – May 23rd / Certificate received June 3rd 2019)
Richard – received July 31st (added to FBR March 10th 2019)

August 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.

Oction – received August 1st (Added to FBR July 11th 2019)
Sean – received August 2nd (Added to FBR December 19th 2018)
Spav – received August 3rd (Added to FBR December 11th 2018)
Faith2611 – received August 3rd / (Awaiting Printing)
Amcbamcb – received August 8th (Added to FBR May 17th 2019)
Hol292 – received August 10th (Added to FBR July 5th 2019)
Rick81 – received August 10th / Pending
Sulla – received August 14th (Added to FBR November 28th 2018) Chinese Case
LeifRNR – received August 14th Added to FBR July 17th 2019)
Laurie – received August 15th / (Added to FBR August 1st 2019)
NYNJ – Received August 16th 2018 / (Added to FBR August 15th 2019)
Valiant – Received August 16th 2018 / Pending
Michael – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Donna – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Upliam _ received August 22nd / (Added to FBR September 9th 2019))
USczKat – received August 23rd / (Added to FBR September 10th 2019)
SonicBoom – received August 28th / (Added to FBR August 30th 2019)
GSP666 - received August 28th / (Awaiting printing & Delivery)
Pumps100 – received August 29th / (Added to FBR September 10th2019)
MaddeningBike – received August 31st / (Added to FBR August 30th 2019)
Nydccub – received August 31st / Pending

September 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Court2 - received September 1st / Pending
Shaunier – received September 1st / (Added to FBR September 23rd 2019)
Oshma – received September 4th / Added to FBR September 9th 2019)
Clongwill – received September 6th / Pending
Aussie_MJ – received September 10th / pending
Fillio39 – received September 11th / Pending
Chloe19 – received September 13th / Pending
Mark1Nesbitt – received September 13th / Pending
Costus – received September 14th / Added to FBR August 22nd 2019)
Spiderplants – Received September 17th / (Added to FBR September 24th 2019)
JohnMHouston = received September 17th (Certificate received September 13th 2019)
Spike – received September 20th / (Added to FBR September 11th 2019)
Wims - received September 24th (Added to FBR September 12th 2019)
Mozza75 – received September 25th / (Added to FBR September 16th 2019)
Tess53 – received September 26th / (Added to FBR 18th September 2019)
Kkjak - received September 27th / Pending (address confirmed)
Sqimandy - received September 27th / (Added to FBR September 19th 2019)
LesMalouinettes- received September 27th / (Added to FBR September 19th 2019) Australian case
Aion - received September 27th / (Added to FBR September 11th 2019)
MaryO – received September (unspecified date) / Pending

October 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
GennartMeehan – received October 1st / (Added to FBR September 20th 2019)
Edwards02 – received October 1st / Pending (additional docs request September 30th 2019)
Shaunier – received October 4th / Pending
Theonlyh- received October 9th / (Added to FBR September 26th 2019)
Ross12222999- received October 9th / Pending (address confirmed)
PMartin44 – received October 9th / Pending (address confirmed)
Mkeel - received October 10th / (citizenship confirmation email received October 17th 2019)
Marwin – received October 15th / (Added to FBR June 18th 2019) German Case
Macdo_Macdo - received October 16th / (Added to FBR September 19th 2019)
Bellcurvechaos – received October 22nd / Pending
KHC7968CZ – received October 22nd / Pending (address confirmed)
Miles892 - received October 22nd / Pending
MRRodrigues – received October 30th / Pending (Address Confirmed)

November 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Joolz1- received November 3rd 2018 / (Added to FBR October 7th 2019)
Mori68 - received November 4th (Added to FBR October 8th 2019)
Alicg – received November 6th / (Certificate received October 15th 2019)
Cheeseontoast - received November 6th / (Added to FBR October 2nd 2019)
Luke125Swalker- received November 9th / (Added to FBR May 25th 2019 (South African Case)
Ezza received November 2nd / (Added to FBR December 2nd 2019)
Cooter - received November 14th / (Added to FBR October 4th 2019)
Moodor – received November 15h / Pending (address confirmed)
Eowyn- received November 20th / (confirmation of citizenship E-Mail received October 17th 2019)
Zimbot – received November 20th / (Added to FBR October 3rd 2019)
MasterCaution – received November 28th / (Added to FBR September 18th 2019). German case

December 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.

Asdf1234- received December 4th / (Added to FBR October 17th 2019) Canadian case
Larran2019 – received December 4th 2019 / (Added to FBR October 24th 2019)
Jimdal86 – received December 7th / Pending
Besha - received December 14th / (Added to FBR October 18th 2019)
Quondam – received December 18th / Added to FBR July 4th 2019) New Zealand Case

January 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Bridgette – received January 9th / (Added to FBR October 30th 2019)
DebF – received January 9th / (added to FBR October 25th 2019)
Kmosfet – received January 10th / (Added to FBR November 6th 2019) Canadian case
BillyHicks – received January 14th (official acknowledgement date. September 2018 postal receipt) / (Added to FBR 25th September 2019)
Jri51 – received January 14th / Pending (address confirmed)
Emyln – received January 15th / (Added to FBR) Certificate received November 23rd2019
Bluegill – received January 16th / (Added to FBR November 7th 2019)
SamJakeChloe – received January 21st / (Added to FBR End April 2019) Malaysian Case
ChrisBKC – received January 22nd / (Added to FBR) Address Confirmed
DanaMarie – received January 29th / (Added to FBR 26th November 2019)
Mikekally – received January 30th / (Added to FBR October 31st 2019)

February 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Lee – received February 6th / (Added to FBR November 11th 2019)
Lenny1463 – received February 6th official receipt. Actual postage Unknown / (Added to FBR) Certificate received December 14th 2019.
Jaxx -received February 11th / (Added to the FBR July 22nd 2019) Finnish Case
MikeyLondon – received February 12th / (Address Confirmed)
Buyer7 – received February 15th official receipt. Actual postage November 2018/ Pending (address confirmed)
Jcampbell05 – received February 15th (confirmation March 15th) / pending (address confirmed)
Moodor – received February 20th official receipt. Actual postage November 2018/ (Added to FBR) Certificate received November 13th 2019.
Accountname - received February 26th / (Added to FBR October 2nd 2019)
Jacqui19641 – received February 27th / Pending

March 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Roxannelc – received March 8th / (Added to FBR) Citizenship confirmation call received December 19th2019.
Tom_bcfc -received March 12th / (Added to FBR December 31st 2019)
Seanhodges – received March 19th / pending
Mayorob - received March 20th / Pending
Spelga50 – received March 20th date of confirmation of receipt. Actual postage November 2018/ (Added to FBR October 7th 2019)
Rob9 – received March 21st date of confirmation of receipt. Actual postage December 2018/ Certificate received November 5th.
CatieElise – received March 21st / Pending
Kernzy - received March 26th / Pending
Chrisinpm- received March 28th / Pending

April 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
KAR110 - received April 9th / Pending
Brexit Irishman – received April 14th / Pending
Faull_Guy – received April 16th / Pending
LA8887 – received April 24th / Pending
Fvigaud – received April 26th 2019 / Pending

May 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019
Pipefish – received May 21st / pending
IrishNJUSAman -Received May 27th 2019 / Pending

June 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Dth- received Mid/Late June (unspecified) / Certificate printed and ready for collection August 12th 2019 – Hong Kong Case expedited due to pregnancy
Powerbook1 – received June 26th / (Added to FBR July 25th 2019) Hong Kong Case
JgClancy – received June 27th / Pending
DouggieB – received June 27th / Pending
Neilk83 – received June 27th / Pending (South African Case)

July 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.

BigDaddy100 - received July 1st / Pending
CATG – received July 8th / Pending
Lainyb – received July 15th / Pending. New Zealand Case
Rhughes – received July 15th 2019 / pending
Flyingmum – received July 19th / Pending
EmmaWilliams- received July 26th / Pending

August 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.

Luna2019 – received August 6th / Pending
Obrienlj – received August 9th / Pending
ReturningIrish – received August 14th / Pending
Brent28 – received August 23rd / Pending

September 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
ShellySA – received September 16th / Pending
PD9 – received September 24th / pending

November 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Jaybourne – received November 15th / Pending (Canadian Case)

December 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
Rinefitz– received December 16th / Pending

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:07 pm

Roots1970 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:59 pm
Hi this is my first post so please bear with me....

I am in the process of putting together an FBR application for my 17 year old son.

I will be doing the application on his behalf as he is classed as a minor.

I have read and gathered that the timeline from submitting the application to receiving the certificate is about 10-12 months.

My son will turn 18 in October 2020 and I am hoping to send the application by early February once copy certificates are received

This is my question and concern -

What will happen if my son ceases to be a minor while we are waiting?

Will the application be rejected because it will then be that he can apply himself?

I cannot wait until he is 18 as he is hoping to have citizenship by Easter 2021 when he will be going to live with family in Ireland to continue his studies.

Any advice or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I would imagine that his status at the time of application is what will matter. You have the authority to make the application now, so its absolutely fine. Having the process impacted by achieving the age of majority would probably have drawn attention to itself by now. Nobody has mentioned it and there is nothing on the DFA site saying that people who are nearly 18 should not apply or that there are special provisions for them. If you have residual doubts, you can call.

JeremyNYC
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JeremyNYC » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:13 am

my DFA app received email date was Dec 19 2019 :)