ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by PasadenaTom » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:02 am

Run24 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:25 am
Hi I just had a question about gaining citizenship, my father is an Irish citizen from decent of grandparents but only after I was born. I was wondering how can I gain citizenship as well. Since my great grandparents were born on the island does that mean anything for me. If I cant gain citizenship by decent and I have to do it by naturalization can I use association/being blood related without living in Ireland at the moment. thank you for your help.
Your situation is one that is interesting to a lot of people (my children are in the same situation). But I haven't read about anyone being successful with the citizenship by Irish associations route. You might want to take a look at this thread in which I posted some comments:

ireland/irish-descent-associations-via- ... l#p1823594

My suggestion is that you can apply and ask that some of the regular conditions for naturalisation be waived. The application fee for naturalisation is €175 - which is less than FBR registration. If you are successful, you will likely need to pay the €950 certification fee. If you have that much money to spare, it may be worth a try. And I am sure a lot of people would like to hear about your experience.

Brent28
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Brent28 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:06 am

kmosfet wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:51 am
Hello.

Just wanted to update my status. FBR showed up in the mail Dec 30th and I immediately sent out my passport application to the Ottawa Irish embassy as instructed.

I have a job offer in Amsterdam starting date March 1st. Gotta have that EU passport for it to go through. Any ideas on how long the passport applications are taking for Canada or US?
As long as you have your FBR certificate, you are a citizen and should not have any issues working or living in the Netherlands. Having the passport will certainly make travel and proof of citizenship easier, but the FBR certificate should suffice.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:16 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 am
FBR certificate in hand, what an amazing way to begin 2020! Updated timeline is as follows:

29 January 2019: application received email (sent via FedEx from US)
26 November 2019: address confirmation requested
19 December 2019: DFA email stating added to FBR 26/11
3 January 2020: FBR certificate received, signature was required, date of entry is 26/11

They have enclosed a passport application form, but also a leaflet indicating "all passport applications including first time applicants" should apply using Passport Online if you reside in the EEA, EU, Ireland, or UK. My email from the DFA of 19/12 also indicated the same and provided me with the link to do so - www.dfa.ie/passportonline. I have relocated to the UK since my application was submitted and hold legal residency here. But when I try to use the Passport Online service I can't seem to find a way to apply as a first timer, it asks if my passport is expired or was lost/stolen but there doesn't seem to be an option for first time applicants.Has anyone else had any luck applying online after receiving their certificate?
Hi Dana Marie,

I went through the online passport application yesterday evening and didn't have any problems with it. I tried your link and it seems OK just click on apply now then select Adult or Minor and so on with further questions (not many) and details of residence , D. O. B etc.

Firstly to start the application you will need a digital photo which I had taken at a Photome booth and they're set up for the DFA for the Irish passport/passport card application photo requirements and cost me £6 plus they give you 4 x physical photos with a unique code for the DFA website. You can find these booths in boots plus I guess you might possibly find in supermarkets that offer the same service there are 2 companies which offer this.

Secondly once you have your photo you can proceed onto the online appilication and after you have the choice of either
Passport €75 or Passport & Passport card €100 or you can go for the larger Passport I belive which was about €100-€135 plus there is a delivery fee of €5.00 for each option if you reside outside of Ireland.

I went for the passport & Passport card because the passport card was only €25 extra and not the €35 if bought alone.

Finally which I haven't got to yet is sending off the printed form which you complete on the online stage just like the FBR online application with a witness signing part of the verification form plus there is a cover letter, First Passport Documents so 3 x pages to print out and complete and send to Dublin .

I will try to find a witness in the next 2 weeks hopefully.

Good luck to you on your passport application.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 pm

Lee2521 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:16 pm

Hi Dana Marie,

I went through the online passport application yesterday evening and didn't have any problems with it. I tried your link and it seems OK just click on apply now then select Adult or Minor and so on with further questions (not many) and details of residence , D. O. B etc.

Thanks Lee! The place I'm getting stuck is after I select passport book the next question is:

"My current passport is: 1. expiring or expired 2. lost 3. stolen 4. damaged 5. full.

My current (U.S.) passport is none of these things and obviously I don't have an Irish passport. So that's why I'm not clear how first time applicants use this system? How did you answer that question?

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:26 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 pm
Lee2521 wrote:

Hi Dana Marie,

Thanks Lee! The place I'm getting stuck is after I select passport book the next question is:

"My current passport is: 1. expiring or expired 2. lost 3. stolen 4. damaged 5. full.

My current (U.S.) passport is none of these things and obviously I don't have an Irish passport. So that's why I'm not clear how first time applicants use this system? How did you answer that question?

I didn't see this options only this one - My most recent passport was issued less than 15 years ago, Q. YES or NO buttons, which I answered no to because of not yet having one.

I will go through the link again to check

These are the options I had clicked on - First time applicant adult online, Citizenship via FBR

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:46 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:33 pm
Lee2521 wrote:

Hi Dana Marie,

Sorry I have gave you 2 replies as I couldn't edit my previous post so I know why your getting this option coming up after trying a couple of times you must of answered Yes to the question on - have you updated your passport in the last 15 years and you should of answered No because you haven't had an Irish Passport before. Your US passport is not relevant for this question but can be used well a Photocopy of it for proof of photographic ID amongst other options.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:58 pm

Lee2521 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:46 pm
Sorry I have gave you 2 replies as I couldn't edit my previous post so I know why your getting this option coming up after trying a couple of times you must of answered Yes to the question on - have you updated your passport in the last 15 years and you should of answered No because you haven't had an Irish Passport before. Your US passport is not relevant for this question but can be used well a Photocopy of it for proof of photographic ID amongst other options.
You are a genius and I feel stupid. Thank you!!

tomriddle2u
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by tomriddle2u » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:02 pm

If you're currently living in the USA, you won't be able to use the online passport service. This service is only available here:

Applying online for your first passport you must live in
Ireland,
Northern Ireland,
Great Britain,
the European Union,
Iceland,
Liechtenstein,
Norway
Switzerland

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:30 pm

tomriddle2u wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:02 pm
If you're currently living in the USA, you won't be able to use the online passport service. This service is only available here:

Applying online for your first passport you must live in
Ireland,
Northern Ireland,
Great Britain,
the European Union,
Iceland,
Liechtenstein,
Norway
Switzerland
Correct. In my case I reside in Great Britain.

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:44 pm

I have a question about discrepancies in names. My GF's birth certificate from Ireland has "Francis" as his first name, but he used "Frank" when he came to the US, and that's the name on his marriage and death certificates, as well as how he ls listed as "Father" on my fathers BC. Will this be a problem for FBR or is this understood to be a normal thing and will be no issue?

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:50 pm

DanaMarie wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:58 pm
Lee2521 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:46 pm
You are a genius and I feel stupid. Thank you!!

Your not stupid you have just over thought it, easily done and if you stay in the UK for 5 years you can then apply for the British passport if you wanted but you have permanent residence in the UK being Irish so your get most of the benefits anyway.

Thank you and no problem glad to help

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:36 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:44 pm
I have a question about discrepancies in names. My GF's birth certificate from Ireland has "Francis" as his first name, but he used "Frank" when he came to the US, and that's the name on his marriage and death certificates, as well as how he ls listed as "Father" on my fathers BC. Will this be a problem for FBR or is this understood to be a normal thing and will be no issue?
This is a very common situation, though perhaps most common when it comes to missing or altered middle names. It is unlikely to pose an issue for FBR. I suggest including a signed letter explaining this situation when you submit your application.

Monthehoops
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Monthehoops » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 am

Hi first time post here but have been loving this forum for a while.

Application submitted 1st March 2019
Receipt of paperwork confirmation 15th March 2019

Very very happy to say I received a confirmation email yesterday 6th Jan 2020 to say I will be added to the FBR shortly and confirmed my address

Looks like they’ve caught up quite a bit in the last couple of months.
Best of luck to everyone with their outstanding applications

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi everyone,
Question about the requirement for 4 photographs. See copy/paste from the DFA web site:

"Documents relating to the applicant (unless stated, originals must be submitted):

Completed, signed and witnessed application form (see list of witnesses at 1 above)
Original civil birth certificate (showing parental details)
Original civil marriage certificate (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)
Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) certified as a true copy of the original by application form witness
2 separate original proofs of address
4 colour photographs (2 of which to be witnessed) – do not attach these to the application form"

My question is, are these 4 "passport style" photographs, and exactly how are the 2 photographs to be witnessed? Are they to be signed on the front or back by the witness, or maybe witnessed in some other manner (like attached to a true an exact copy statement that has the embossed seal of the notary)? I will be using a US notary for the witness and the seal would probably damage the photos. Some notaries have a rubber stamp but the ink would obscure the photo if stamped on the front of the photo.

Thanks for helping clear this up!

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:11 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:35 pm
Hi everyone,
Question about the requirement for 4 photographs. See copy/paste from the DFA web site:

"Documents relating to the applicant (unless stated, originals must be submitted):

Completed, signed and witnessed application form (see list of witnesses at 1 above)
Original civil birth certificate (showing parental details)
Original civil marriage certificate (if applicable) OR other change of name document (if applicable)
Photocopy of current state-issued ID document (i.e. passport, drivers licence, national identity card) certified as a true copy of the original by application form witness
2 separate original proofs of address
4 colour photographs (2 of which to be witnessed) – do not attach these to the application form"

My question is, are these 4 "passport style" photographs, and exactly how are the 2 photographs to be witnessed? Are they to be signed on the front or back by the witness, or maybe witnessed in some other manner (like attached to a true an exact copy statement that has the embossed seal of the notary)? I will be using a US notary for the witness and the seal would probably damage the photos. Some notaries have a rubber stamp but the ink would obscure the photo if stamped on the front of the photo.

Thanks for helping clear this up!
You need 4 photographs .The type you get for passports with a white background,etc. These should be Ireland/EU sized and not USA 2 x 2. Two must be signed and dated on the back by your witness. NOT the front. You could have your notary/witness stamp over the signature (may not be feasible) OR -hopefully they have one - include a business card. In Europe, and other places, they have small round stamps but not really a USA thing.
Do NOT attach photos to the form. I put mine in a separately marked envelope after letting them dry a few days along with a business card.

jgclancy

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm

Excellent - thanks so much jgclancy! Very helpful.

LA8887
United Kingdom

Post by LA8887 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:31 pm

Hey guys, I'm an April applicant so seeing the March applications coming back at the moment makes me hopeful I'll get mine soon. Quick question, does anyone think it's worth starting the online passport application now or just wait until I definitely have the FBR certificate in my hand before doing else?

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:53 pm

LA8887 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:31 pm
Hey guys, I'm an April applicant so seeing the March applications coming back at the moment makes me hopeful I'll get mine soon. Quick question, does anyone think it's worth starting the online passport application now or just wait until I definitely have the FBR certificate in my hand before doing else?
Hi LA8887 ,

I wouldn't advice doing this until you have received your FBR cert and officially entilted to apply for the passport other wise this could cause a number of issues and you wouldn't make any difference on how fast your application gets processed because it's like the FBR application in the sense that after you have completed the intial stage and paid the fee you need to send off your documents and once these are received then your application starts . Another issue your application wouldn't get off the ground without your FBR cert plus if you downloaded a digital photo it would be probably be out of date after 6 months .

I would just wait like the rest of us and in 6 - 10 months you will be an Irish citizen if there is no issues with your application .

Good luck

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:01 pm

LA8887 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:31 pm
Just ignore the part where I said 6 - 10 months but I would say you will be an Irish citizen very soon anyway then you can apply straight away .

Also ignore the part about the photo being out of date lol .

LA8887
United Kingdom

Post by LA8887 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:21 pm

My thinking was that if I was due to get onto the FBR in the next month or so, then I could pre-emptively go through the passport application process, upload a photo etc so I could get one of the identity forms and sort witnesses and all the rest out before it arrives, and then pop it straight back into the post. However, I might just wait until the actual email comes through just in case there are any problems or supplementary information needed, but once I get the congratulations then I'll have the time it takes to arrive to do that stuff.

Jcampbell05
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jcampbell05 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:12 pm

A helpful for tip anyone waiting for their certificate

If you've been waiting for your certificate for a while (give it time to be printed) you can respond to the email asking for your address to request a tracking code.

They should hopefully then dutifully respond with one - usually when they do this and they notice your certificate hasn't been sent when it should then they will make sure its sent off in-order to be able to provide the code.

If it has been sent then you will at least be able to track how far away it is.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 pm

LA8887 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:21 pm
My thinking was that if I was due to get onto the FBR in the next month or so, then I could pre-emptively go through the passport application process, upload a photo etc so I could get one of the identity forms and sort witnesses and all the rest out before it arrives, and then pop it straight back into the post. However, I might just wait until the actual email comes through just in case there are any problems or supplementary information needed, but once I get the congratulations then I'll have the time it takes to arrive to do that stuff.
You could start the process and you might be safe with it not causing you any issues but just to be safe it might be better to hold out a little longer to get the confirmation then apply. I don't know of anyone else who has done this yet but it's a new service.

After all I said, I don't think it should be a problem if the gap between doing part 1 of the online passport application and getting your FBR cert is not too big.

fvigaud
United States of America

Post by fvigaud » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 am

Jcampbell05 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:12 pm

If you've been waiting for your certificate for a while (give it time to be printed) you can respond to the email asking for your address to request a tracking code.
Thank you for the pro tip! What is a reasonable amount of time to wait before sending such an email?

Jcampbell05
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jcampbell05 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:55 am

fvigaud wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 am
Jcampbell05 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:12 pm

Thank you for the pro tip! What is a reasonable amount of time to wait before sending such an email?
I got my address confirmation email at the end of November so I waited over December before sending it in the new year (I assumed there would be a delay over the holidays so that's why I waited so long before sending it).

I would say it takes them between 5 to 10 working days to actually print the certificate - so sometime after that.

I hope that helps!

Bostonburns
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Bostonburns » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:12 pm

I just discovered this site, thanks for all the helpful information.

I just got off the phone with Dublin, they received my documents on 27 June 2019 and said 11 months is the current processing time so not to expect to hear anything before May.