ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation and settled status in same time

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

beautifulday1
Mood:
United Kingdom

Naturalisation and settled status in same time

Post by beautifulday1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Dear moderators and members,
I applied for Naturalisation and still waiting for the decision. In the meantime can I also apply for settled status as I got PR and want to replace it with settled status? Is there any problem if home Office have to deal with two applications in the same time? Many thanks

secret.simon

Re: Naturalisation and settled status in same time

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:22 pm

No harm, but be aware that settled status would automatically be invalidated when you become a British citizen.

A British citizen cannot hold leave under the Immigration Act 1971, which Settled Status is.

What is your reason for applying for Settled Status?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

beautifulday1
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by beautifulday1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:48 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:22 pm
No harm, but be aware that settled status would automatically be invalidated when you become a British citizen.

A British citizen cannot hold leave under the Immigration Act 1971, which Settled Status is.

What is your reason for applying for Settled Status?
Thank you very much for the reply.
Actually I am holding the PR as a family member of an EU citizen but we are already divorced now and I already notified HO about the changing of Status. So the reason to apply for settled status that, when I travel every time they ask too many unnecessary questions about spouse and marriage. So I think settled status will save my time at passport control.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:37 pm

So I think settled status will save my time at passport control.
British citizens do not have to explain their marital arrangements!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

beautifulday1
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by beautifulday1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:04 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:37 pm
So I think settled status will save my time at passport control.
British citizens do not have to explain their marital arrangements!
Yes but I’m talking about the situations before acquiring the BC. I ment, when I will travel with settled status

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:24 am

beautifulday1 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:48 pm
So the reason to apply for settled status that, when I travel every time they ask too many unnecessary questions about spouse and marriage. So I think settled status will save my time at passport control.
It won't really make much difference.

Even people who are settled in the UK (either with ILR or with PR) are questioned by Immigration Control to ensure that the ILR or PR hasn't lapsed or been otherwise invalidated.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:58 pm

One argument for applying for settled status is that naturalisation applications can take a long time to be decided (and can be refused), and it is not clear that the OP is covered by the withdrawal agreement. He has no retained rights as a former family member; merely his permanent residence. I also find it hard to believe that one day there will be no time limit on his presence in the UK, yet on the next day he would need but lack leave to remain. All in all, it makes sense to apply for settled status just in case, even though it probably won't be needed because the OP becomes a BC before his PR ceases to be valid.

beautifulday1
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by beautifulday1 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:26 am

Thank you everyone for your comments. Much appreciated

beautifulday1
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by beautifulday1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi again to everyone,
If I received settled status by replacing my PR, then do I have to inform HM about the changing by filling the change of circumstances form as I already have a naturalisation application pending? Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:35 pm

No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

beautifulday1
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by beautifulday1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:28 pm

Thank you CR001 and also thanks to others for their advices. I don’t have to apply for the settled status as I have received my brown envelope today. 😀
Best of luck to everyone