ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Settlement for newly arrive non/EU family member

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

marcoscagliusi90
Newly Registered
Italy

EU Settlement for newly arrive non/EU family member

Post by marcoscagliusi90 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I have used this forum intensively over the past few months and I have found it always precise and useful, thank you!

I have a question. My wife, from the Philippines, has recently joined me in the UK. I am Italian with presettled status. She arrived with a 6 month EU settlement scheme family permit visa. We would now like to get presettled status for her and this is where things get confusing to me.

I donwloaded the EUExit app and it seems that she would need a BRC in order to proceed with the identity verification since she is not from the EU. However, I thought that a BRC was not needed to go through the EUSettlement scheme and I read that her biometrics would be taken as part of the process. Could anyone give me guidance on what we should do at thsi point? Should we apply for a BRC and then apply for presettled status?

Thank you very much!

Marco

iwolga
United Kingdom

Re: EU Settlement for newly arrive non/EU family member

Post by iwolga » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:26 pm

Hi, one of the options the website is offering to a non-EU without BRC is identification by sending your passport (this is how the option is called. Other members say they were not really sending their passports). She need to apply online and attend bio appointment. This seem to be sufficient for ID purposes.

There is a discussion of the very same Q in EU settlement topic (latest page)

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:15 am

marcoscagliusi90 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:45 pm
I donwloaded the EUExit app and it seems that she would need a BRC in order to proceed with the identity verification since she is not from the EU.
That is correct.
However, I thought that a BRC was not needed to go through the EUSettlement scheme
That is also correct. What is incorrect is your assumption that the only way of applying to the Settlement Scheme is via the app.
and I read that her biometrics would be taken as part of the process.
This is also correct. Since she needs a BRC her biometrics will need to be taken at some point.
Could anyone give me guidance on what we should do at thsi point?
You have two options:

1. Apply for a BRC through the old and soon-to-be closed EEA route, then with this BRC apply to the Settlement Scheme through the app.

2. Skip the EEA BRC and apply directly to the Settlement Scheme with her passport via post, NOT the app.

Clear options are given on the Settlement Scheme page as to how/which document you want to use to prove her identity (BRC meaning option 1. above; passport meaning option 2.)
Should we apply for a BRC and then apply for presettled status?
This is a very old discussion, and it even has its own reference post with the pros and cons of both options above. Check it out here. However, the more Brexit day comes closer, it is reasonable to think the more the balance leans towards option 2.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:22 am

Sorry. Post with pros and cons of both options here. Really now mainly for context and reference.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.