ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU family member - Settlement Application - No prev BRC

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lisa193
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

EU family member - Settlement Application - No prev BRC

Post by lisa193 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently on tier 4 (i.e. never had a BRC based on being married to an EU citizen). I've submitted an application for pre-settled status as a fam member of an EU national (my husband already got his). I had my biometrics appointment end last week but nowhere in the application process, I was instructed to post my passport. Is that something that will happen at a later stage? Anybody's got experience with that?

Thank you!

it91
United Kingdom

Re: EU family member - Settlement Application - No prev BRC

Post by it91 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:12 am

When was or is your biometrics registration? They will probably take the copy of your passport during that appointment.
24.01.15-31.12.19:Tier 4 visa
02.08.19: Applied to Lounes PSS
08.08.219: Passports back with biometrics letter
12.08.19: Biometrics submitted
15.08.19: CoA issued (received on 19th)
30.08.19: PSS Granted
09.09.19: BRC arrived
31.11.19:BRC replacement

lisa193
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lisa193 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:38 pm

it91 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:12 am
When was or is your biometrics registration? They will probably take the copy of your passport during that appointment.
I did the biometrics on January 2.

Not only didn’t they do that, they also told me they know nothing about proof of identity.:-(

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:28 pm

lisa193 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:13 pm
I'm currently on tier 4 (i.e. never had a BRC based on being married to an EU citizen). I've submitted an application for pre-settled status as a fam member of an EU national (my husband already got his).
The EU Settlement Scheme offers you three ways of applying/submitting proof of your identity:

1. Using a BRC and the app
2. Using a passport and sending it by post
3. Going to a "scanning" location where you can borrow a smart phone to use the app with a BRC. (So this us really only a variation of option 1, only difference is you don't do it at home).

Note that option 3. has NOTHING to do with your biometrics appointment, which is a completely separate step. Passports are NOT scanned at biometrics appointments. If you are using your passport, option 2, to verify your identity you have to post it. Anyone suggesting otherwise, as I have sadly seen several times on this forum, is simply confused.

So, the key question here for you is which of the options above did you pick?

Since you say you have never had a BRC I'm mostly assuming you picked option 2. (Unless you mean you never had a EEA BRC, but you do have a tier 4 biometric card, which you used to apply with option 1?)
nowhere in the application process, I was instructed to post my passport. Is that something that will happen at a later stage?
According to the Settlement Scheme page, where they offer you the three options above, you will be required to post your passport at the end of your application if you choose option 2.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

lisa193
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lisa193 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:28 pm
lisa193 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:13 pm
I'm currently on tier 4 (i.e. never had a BRC based on being married to an EU citizen). I've submitted an application for pre-settled status as a fam member of an EU national (my husband already got his).
The EU Settlement Scheme offers you three ways of applying/submitting proof of your identity:

1. Using a BRC and the app
2. Using a passport and sending it by post
3. Going to a "scanning" location where you can borrow a smart phone to use the app with a BRC. (So this us really only a variation of option 1, only difference is you don't do it at home).

Note that option 3. has NOTHING to do with your biometrics appointment, which is a completely separate step. Passports are NOT scanned at biometrics appointments. If you are using your passport, option 2, to verify your identity you have to post it. Anyone suggesting otherwise, as I have sadly seen several times on this forum, is simply confused.

So, the key question here for you is which of the options above did you pick?

Since you say you have never had a BRC I'm mostly assuming you picked option 2. (Unless you mean you never had a EEA BRC, but you do have a tier 4 biometric card, which you used to apply with option 1?)
nowhere in the application process, I was instructed to post my passport. Is that something that will happen at a later stage?
According to the Settlement Scheme page, where they offer you the three options above, you will be required to post your passport at the end of your application if you choose option 2.
Thank you for your reply.

Please note that option 1 is not for people without a BRC, it just simply doesn’t work with a BRP. I understand that option 3 has nothing to do with my biometrics appointment, as well. So I couldn’t choose anything but option 2 at the beginning of my application.

That being said, nowhere throughout the application process I was told where to send my passport to. More than that, I was supposed to keep it for my biometrics appointment. And there seem to be people on this forum transitioning from Tier 1/2/4 to EU Settlement as a family member who have encountered the same problem.

kumitrue
Newly Registered
Lithuania

Post by kumitrue » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:41 pm

lisa193 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 pm

That being said, nowhere throughout the application process I was told where to send my passport to. More than that, I was supposed to keep it for my biometrics appointment. And there seem to be people on this forum transitioning from Tier 1/2/4 to EU Settlement as a family member who have encountered the same problem.
Yeah, for me, the application form behaved unusually when the option 2 chosen. It kept sending me back to the requirement to verify my identity. But eventually, the application form just confirmed my identity as verified without any additional postings to the HO

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 pm

lisa193 wrote:
Please note that option 1 is not for people without a BRC, it just simply doesn’t work with a BRP.
Sure, I never meant to suggest that. Quite the contrary, my comment is supposed to mean that without a BRC you cannot chose this option. Sorry if that was not clear.
nowhere throughout the application process I was told where to send my passport to. More than that, I was supposed to keep it for my biometrics appointment. And there seem to be people on this forum transitioning from Tier 1/2/4 to EU Settlement as a family member who have encountered the same problem.
I would think you can do two things:

1) Check, doule check, and triple check your emails for any missed notification from the EU Resolution Center to see if you might have missed details of the next steps. Dont forget your spam folder (useful keyword is "EU Settlement").

2) If the above does not work, then the best thing for you to do is to contact the EU Resolution Center using this form with your query and ask what you are supposed to do. They usually reply within 48 hours.

Good luck.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

lisa193
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lisa193 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:38 am

kamoe wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 pm
lisa193 wrote:
Please note that option 1 is not for people without a BRC, it just simply doesn’t work with a BRP.
Sure, I never meant to suggest that. Quite the contrary, my comment is supposed to mean that without a BRC you cannot chose this option. Sorry if that was not clear.
nowhere throughout the application process I was told where to send my passport to. More than that, I was supposed to keep it for my biometrics appointment. And there seem to be people on this forum transitioning from Tier 1/2/4 to EU Settlement as a family member who have encountered the same problem.
I would think you can do two things:

1) Check, doule check, and triple check your emails for any missed notification from the EU Resolution Center to see if you might have missed details of the next steps. Dont forget your spam folder (useful keyword is "EU Settlement").

2) If the above does not work, then the best thing for you to do is to contact the EU Resolution Center using this form with your query and ask what you are supposed to do. They usually reply within 48 hours.

Good luck.
Just a quick update. Called the resolution centre on the phone - the reason I haven't been told that I have to post my documents is because I DON'T have to. They counted the biometrics appointment as an identity proof as my passport has been scanned at a government facility as they referred to it.