ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my Surinder Singh spouse travel to EU without Schengen visa now that he has pre-settled status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

londonparis
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Can my Surinder Singh spouse travel to EU without Schengen visa now that he has pre-settled status?

Post by londonparis » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:41 pm

Would be grateful for any insight you have into this.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Can my Surinder Singh spouse travel to EU without Schengen visa now that he has pre-settled status?

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:25 am

Hello

Pre-settled status has nothing to do with EU and Schengen visas.

She can't travel to the UE visa-free just because she has pre-settled status.

Travel visa free is possible for people with cards delivered under EEA rules (they bear the inscription: Family Member of EEA National) and only if they are traveling with their EEA national (or, at least in theory, joining the EEA national)

londonparis
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Can my Surinder Singh spouse travel to EU without Schengen visa now that he has pre-settled status?

Post by londonparis » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:14 pm

Hence my question pertaining specifically to my Surinder Singh spouse. That's exactly what it means - - a card delivered under EEA rules. Thank you for your answer. Do you have any online sources pointing to this at all?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:27 pm

londonparis wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:14 pm
Hence my question pertaining specifically to my Surinder Singh spouse. That's exactly what it means - - a card delivered under EEA rules.
You are confused. Surinder Singh is NOT the same as the EEA Route (Surinder Singh can be obtained via the EEA route, but this is not necessarily the case.)

You can get a Surinder Singh residence card or permit through two routes

a) EEA route here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card
b) Settlement Scheme here: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

The above are two completely different and independent routes.

Through the EEA route you get visa-free travel throughout the EU as long as your sponsor is traveling with you. With the Settlement Scheme, which seems to be the route you have taken, you do not get this right of visa-free travel, so it seems your conlusions are incorrect.

There are plenty of posts in this forum, with authoritative references, that address the very question of whether cards issued under the Settlement Scheme give the right of visa free travel within the EU. You'll find that the answer is always a round and definite NO.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:11 am

londonparis wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:41 pm
Would be grateful for any insight you have into this.
If you search you will find similar information in OTHER websites

this is from german consulate in LONDON . See what it says on the bottom

https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/visa/do-you-need-a-visa
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 00.09.05.png
Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 00.09.05.png (199.06 KiB) Viewed 357 times
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021