ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family Card of Eu Citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

YuliyaVD
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Family Card of Eu Citizen

Post by YuliyaVD » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:38 pm

Hi there,
Please help me as I am confused. I am a British citizen and i want my mum, who has Russian passport and Eu Family Member Residence Card Article 10, to come to UK for a short visit from Spain.
Will she be allowed to enter uk with her article 10 residence card or she will not as I am a British Citizen not a citizen of any other Eu country?
I have a feeling because I am British she will be sent back.
I also have Ukrainian passport, will that make any difference?
Thanks

kamoe
European Union

Re: Family Card of Eu Citizen

Post by kamoe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:11 pm

YuliyaVD wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:38 pm
Please help me as I am confused. I am a British citizen and i want my mum, who has Russian passport and Eu Family Member Residence Card Article 10, to come to UK for a short visit from Spain.
Will she be allowed to enter uk with her article 10 residence card
The result of the "Do you need a visa"? page says she does not need a visa (https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/russ ... sm/yes/yes), as long as the person who sponsored her Artilce 10 card is traveling with her or is the person she is visiting:
Do you have a valid Article 10 residence card?
The person you’re visiting or travelling with must be your sponsor.
So question for you is, on what basis does she has that Article 10 residence card? Is it perhaps because she is the family member of another EU citizen living in Spain?

As you might know, the result of the "Do you need a visa"? page is a combination of questions regarding the persons situation. If the answer to the question of whether she has an Article 10 card (AND that article 10 card is sponsored by the person traveling with her OR by the person shel´ll be visiting) is NO, then the answer is that she needs a visa: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/russ ... ism/yes/no

In other words, an article 10 card not sponsored by you will not give her the right to visit you in the UK. BUT... she could come to the UK without a visa and on the Article 10 card as long as the EU citizen who sponsored her Article 10 card is traveling with her.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

yungbuk

Post by yungbuk » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:27 pm

Did your mum get the residency card in Spain as your dependent as a result of you exercising your treaty rights in Spain? If so then the card must state the wording 'Familiar Ciudadano De La Union' which means it is issued in accordance with the Royal decree 240/2007 (article 8.5.) and it should state that in the approval letter for the card. This is the implementation of the free movement directive 2004/38/EC, incorporated into the Spanish domestic legal ordinance by Royal Decree 240/2007. Hence this is your proof that the card is issued under the free movement directive and as long as you are traveling with your mum you should have no problem in entering the UK without a visa with a valid article 10 residency card, a passport of your mum and your birth certificate as a proof of relationship.

It would be helpful if you took the print outs of the relevant regulations involving free movement to remind the border staff of the law surrounding your right to enter without a visa as sometimes they tend to get a bit rusty on that.

However, it's better to err on the side of caution and apply for a family permit visa instead if you have time to avoid dealing with the incompetent airline staff and border force officers just in case.

YuliyaVD
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by YuliyaVD » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:46 am

Thank you for your reply.

The regulations about entry in the UK are complex and confusing!
I am British Citizen who is exercising eu treaty rights in Spain therefore my mother who is Russian Citizen received her EU family member residence card under article 10. However, if I try to go to UK with her for a short visit I have a feeling the customs will deny her entrance as I am a British Passport Holder. They may say the rule applies to EU passport holders excluding UK citizens. What is my best option?
Thanks

yungbuk

Post by yungbuk » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:21 pm

YuliyaVD wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:46 am

However, if I try to go to UK with her for a short visit I have a feeling the customs will deny her entrance as I am a British Passport Holder. They may say the rule applies to EU passport holders excluding UK citizens. What is my best option?
The main principle established by the SS case is the right in European Union law to move from one member state to another must also include a 'right to return' to a member state of which the EEA resident is the national of, otherwise an EEA national would be deterred from moving in the first place. This is a right written in law and not some discretionary privilege granted by an entry visa officer. So if you are exercising your right to return to your home member state, you are doing so under an EU law and not the domestic law of UK that should apply to you and your mum. As such if you have genuinely exercised your treaty rights and your mum has obtained the art.10 RC being your dependent, I don't see any reason why you would be refused entry as per the law.

However, in case of an unpleasant event of refusal mainly due to an inadequate knowledge of the law on the part of a border force officer, which is the only reason I can think of. It is advisable to be well prepared beforehand with all the documentation on hand that you initially used to apply for the art.10 residency card as well as the printed hard copies of the relevant regulations.

I am also in a very similar situation as yours, as I have also exercised treaty rights in Spain and wish to accompany my mum to UK. I will also update you with my progress once I get through the immigration. When do you plan to travel?

YuliyaVD
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by YuliyaVD » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:04 am

Thanks so much for your reply. I am planning to travel with her from Spain to UK on 21st of January. I have not applied through Surinder Route yet as I am planning to do it in August before December 2020 (end of transition period) . So we are just going for a short visit to UK. I can provide to the customs the following documents : my Spanish temporary residency card, my UK passport, my mum eu article 10 residence card, her Russian passport, translation of my birth certificate from Russian to English, marriage certificate, contract of rented property in Spain. What I am worried they can say is that this regulation applies to EU passport holders to enter UK without EU permit but I am British passport holder. Thanks so much for your reply as I feel like I am stuck and confused not sure what to do.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:57 pm

YuliyaVD wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:04 am
I can provide to the customs the following documents : ... What I am worried they can say is that this regulation applies to EU passport holders to enter UK without EU permit but I am British passport holder.
But by the Surinder Singh clause (Section 9 of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2016), the term 'EEA national' includes you, despite being a British citizen.

All the evidence I can recall suggests that a (2004/38/EC) Article 10 card plus plausible sponsor suffices for entry. I saw an Itimac entry that didn't mention the nationality of sponsor of an Article 10 card, so you should clear the more difficult hurdle, that of boarding an aeroplane.

YuliyaVD
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by YuliyaVD » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:13 pm

I have been told by immigration officer that my mum will be denied entry to UK even though she has family member residence card under article 10. If I was other EU passport holder then no problem but because I am a British Passport holder it will be a problem.

yungbuk

Post by yungbuk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Lets stress test this situation:

Border officer (BO) feels that your mum can’t be allowed entry under the directive as you have a British passport not an EU based on his/her understanding of the directive.

You present the following proofs to negate the BO’s argument:
1. Printed regulations from this link (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/1052/made)
Family members of British citizens
9.—(1) If the conditions in paragraph (2) are satisfied, these Regulations apply to a person who is the family member (“F”) of a British citizen (“BC”) as though the BC were an EEA national.
(2) The conditions are that—
(a)BC—
(i)is residing in an EEA State as a worker, self-employed person, self-sufficient person or a student, or so resided immediately before returning to the United Kingdom; or
(ii)has acquired the right of permanent residence in an EEA State;
(b)F and BC resided together in the EEA State; and
(c)F and BC’s residence in the EEA State was genuine.

As long as you can prove that you satisfy all the conditions set out in paragraph 2 then you should be treated as if you were an EU passport holder with the right to exercise free movement under the directive and this in combination with an article 10 residency card of your mum should allow entry to your mum into UK.
2. You have checked whether you need a visa on this (https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y) ‘You do not need a visa to come to UK’ (assuming you choose the right combination of answers)

3. Entering the UK as the holder of the article 10 card https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/e… (again confirms no need for a visa if in possession of an article 10).

The only way the (BO) can conclude that you are not to be treated as an EEA national on return to UK is if you fail under paragraph 2(c) (assuming you pass all the other conditions) which would be unlikely as you are not making an EUSS application with a SS underpinning at the airport.
Other possible reasons for refusal which you can rule out can be found here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/1052/made in Part 4.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:34 pm

I suspect the main problem might be not at the UK border, but with the airline in Spain, which might refuse to board her on the plane... (Definitely do not go for low cost airlines, EasyJet etc is known for making troubles)

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:06 pm

YuliyaVD wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:13 pm
I have been told by immigration officer that my mum will be denied entry to UK even though she has family member residence card under article 10. If I was other EU passport holder then no problem but because I am a British Passport holder it will be a problem.
For the benefit of future reference, I'd like to offer an argument to prove the above is incorrect.

Please refer to this recent tribunal decision: https://tribunalsdecisions.service.gov. ... 018-others, with specific regard to paragrpah 41, where it says:
there is nothing at all in Article 5 indicating that the right of entry of family members of the Union citizen who are not nationals of a Member State is limited to Member State other than the Member State of origin of the Union citizen.
For context, the aforementioned case concerns an Indian family seeking entry into the UK with Bulgarian Article 10 cards, obtained via residence in Bulgaria while accompanying their dual Indian/British family member. The family were refused entry into the UK, and this is their appeal to that decision. They cite the well known McCarthy Rodriguez case, in which the ECJ ruled in favor of a Colombian citizen, wife of a dual Irish/British national, and holder of a Spanish Article 10 card.

Now, there is one slight difference here with McCarthy Rodriguez, in that in that case the EU sponsor was both Irish and British, and this is the reason the clarification above is made in paragraph 41, so that it is not interpreted that the case was won because he was also Irish, but because there is no restriction on what EU countries the non-EU family member is to be granted right of entry (be it the EU national's own country of origin or not).

It is also very important to note for the case of the OP, that this particular appeal linked to above was dismissed, because the Indian family only spent two weeks in Bulgaria, so not a real residence period. For that reason, it is stressed in the decision (paragraphs 23, 24, and 25) that the aforementioned MacCarthy Rodriguez case cannot be referred to as a precedent since the situation does not describe a similar case to that of the appellants (paragraph 25).

It is reasonable to conclude that, in the case of people in a similar situation as MacCarthy and his wife (British national longtime resident in another EU state, and his non-EU family member, also longtime resident in that EU state, with appropriate Article 10 cards; and this regardless of whether the British national has dual nationality with another EU state), the decision of any UK tribunal would be in the favor of the appellant.
Last edited by kamoe on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 pm

obormot wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:34 pm
I suspect the main problem might be not at the UK border, but with the airline in Spain, which might refuse to board her on the plane... (Definitely do not go for low cost airlines, EasyJet etc is known for making troubles)
Of course!

Sadly the rights granted by law are one thing, and airline policies are another.

YuliyaVD
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by YuliyaVD » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:47 am

Thanks all for your replies. I will bring all the right documents with me and see what happens, we are flying with Easy Jet.