ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why did we get married in Italy?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bumface
Newly Registered
Belgium

Why did we get married in Italy?

Post by bumface » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:49 pm

I am a Belgian married to a Scot, and we thought it would be kind to both of our families to get married in neutral territory so we chose beautiful Italy. Now that I am applying for naturalisation, I fear this makes things more complicated because:

1. My (Belgian) passport is in my birth name and cannot be changed
2. My marriage certificate is in Italian (although every word is translated in the footnotes)
3. I have been using my married name for tax, bills, health etc for the past 15 years

Can anyone advise if I would be better to apply using my birth name? I am intending to keep my Belgian nationality.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Why did we get married in Italy?

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:31 pm

bumface wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:49 pm
I am a Belgian married to a Scot, and we thought it would be kind to both of our families to get married in neutral territory so we chose beautiful Italy. Now that I am applying for naturalisation, I fear this makes things more complicated because:

1. My (Belgian) passport is in my birth name and cannot be changed Can you change the name when you renew?
2. My marriage certificate is in Italian (although every word is translated in the footnotes) Not an issue presumably it's an EU format with translations.
3. I have been using my married name for tax, bills, health etc for the past 15 years

Can anyone advise if I would be better to apply using my birth name? If you want to apply now then yes it would be easiest to apply under your maiden name, and your certificate will show that name and you will only be able to get a British passport with that name.I am intending to keep my Belgian nationality. As I understand Belgium allows dual/multi-nationality.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: Why did we get married in Italy?

Post by Richard W » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:23 pm

bumface wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:49 pm
1. My (Belgian) passport is in my birth name and cannot be changed
If you continue to use your married name, you will only be eligible for a British passport if you can get a statement from the Belgian embassy or consulate that you cannot get a Belgian passport in your married name. Otherwise, you must us a single name for all purposes if you wish to have a British passport. Which name do you use on the electoral register?

This issue is not, so far as we have heard, a problem for applying for a nationality. Using two different names does not seem to be used as evidence of bad character.