ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for naturalisation as spouse of a British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shasus7

Applying for naturalisation as spouse of a British Citizen

Post by shasus7 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:09 pm

Hi All,

My wife applied for her ILR through SET(M) on 03/01/20 and it was granted on 06/01/20 (super priority service). Currently waiting for the BRP card. Thanks for helping out with some questions for that application. I'm now filling out form AN for her so that we are ready to submit form AN as soon as we receive the ILR BRP. I have a couple of questions if any of you can help out please:

Q1) Is it the same AN form for all naturalisation application? If so, does it, at some point, ask whether she's applying under Section 6(1) based on 5 years residence or Section 6(2) spouse of British citizen based on 3 years residence?

Q2) She is applying under Section 6(2) spouse of British citizen based on 3 years residence, that's why we are applying immediately after ILR (although she's been here continuously for 7.5 years). Why is the form asking for last 5 years addresses (I've provided them)? Is that just standard procedure?

The reason for asking is that so far I've filled out form AN until it asks what is her ILR BRP number and I haven't seen Q1 being asked in the form! If it doesn't ask on what basis she's applying then are they going to figure it out by themselves or do we need to mention this in a covering letter? Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for naturalisation as spouse of a British Citizen

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:12 pm

Ho knows the rules and she has to submit marriage cert and your passport copy so will be under section 6(2).

Same online form is used for everyone.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shasus7

Post by shasus7 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:16 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:12 pm
Ho knows the rules and she has to submit marriage cert and your passport copy so will be under section 6(2).

Same online form is used for everyone.
Much appreciated CR001, you are a star :)

shasus7

Post by shasus7 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi All,

I've got another question if someone can help please. My wife's form AN has now taken me to Special Circumstances page.

Q1) Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the requirements to become a British citizen (for example, you have had too many absences from the UK)? - We've answered 'NO'

Then this is followed with the second question:
Q2) If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application?

It's not letting me go to the next page without answering the second question! What is the correct response to this question? I've answered Yes for time being and wrote in the box that my wife meets all the requirements. Any suggestions?

Kind regards

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 am

shasus7 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:12 pm
Hi All,

I've got another question if someone can help please. My wife's form AN has now taken me to Special Circumstances page.

Q1) Are there any reasons why you cannot meet the requirements to become a British citizen (for example, you have had too many absences from the UK)? - We've answered 'NO'

Q2) If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application? Response flows from Q1 - NO

It's not letting me go to the next page without answering the second question! What is the correct response to this question? I've answered Yes for time being and wrote in the box that my wife meets all the requirements. Any suggestions?

Kind regards
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

shasus7

Post by shasus7 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 am
shasus7 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:12 pm
Hi All,

Q2) If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application? Response flows from Q1 - NO

Kind regards
Thanks for your reply alterhase58, much appreciated. So, the answer should be NO in your understanding? I must confess I still find it ambiguous to be honest! If one answer's No to the first question then I don't think there is an answer for Q2 at all but since we have to answer something then I'm gonna have to take your interpretation for it and go with it. Don't suppose getting it wrong would be 'be all and end all'!

Any other learned interpretations and opinions about this?

Kind regards

shasus7

Post by shasus7 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:30 pm

btw alterhase58, my opinion is that you are right, the answer should be NO.... it's just I'm questioning the merit of the question when you answered NO to the first Q!

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm

The question is there specifically for applicants who have a difficult immigration history. It is not relevant to standard types of applicants with straightforward Immigration histories.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shasus7

Post by shasus7 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm
The question is there specifically for applicants who have a difficult immigration history. It is not relevant to standard types of applicants with straightforward Immigration histories.
Thanks CR001.