ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Complex ILR Long Residence Application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DamzILR
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Complex ILR Long Residence Application

Post by DamzILR » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:50 am

Dear all - readers/visitors of the forum as well as moderators.

I am writing to seek some advice and insight on my complex immigration matter. It is quite a long read and I apologise in advance.

Immigration History:

• I arrived in the United Kingdom on 26 August 2007 with leave to enter as a student until 31 October 2009.

• On 16 October 2009, I submitted an in-time application for LTR as a Tier 4 General Student, leave was granted until 15 October 2012.

• On 05 October 2012, I submitted an in-time application for LTR as a Tier 4 General Student, leave was granted until 23 January 2014.

• On 22 January 2014, I submitted an in-time application for LTR as a Tier 4 General Student, leave was granted until 13 October 2014.

• On 13 October 2014, I submitted an in-time application for LTR as a Tier 4 General Student, leave was granted until 30 January 2019

• On 02 August 2017, I submitted an in-time premium service application for Indefinite Leave to Remain on the basis of Long Residency, this application was refused with a right of appeal on 02 August 2017.

- On 16 April 2017, I lodged an appeal which was later dismissed at a first tier hearing on 29 June 2017. Appeal rights were exhausted on 16 July 2018.

- I still had valid leave till 30 January 2019 so I let it go.

• On 30 January 2019, I re-submitted an in-time postal application for Indefinite Leave to Remain again on the basis of Long Residency, this application was also refused with NO RIGHT of appeal on 28 June 2019.

Reason for Refusal dated 02 August 2017:

622 days total absences in the last 10 years from 26 August 2007 - 02 August 2017 (> 540 days allowed absence). Secretary of State not satisfied that I met the requirement of paragraph 276D with reference to paragraph 276B(i)(a) and 276A.

Reason for Refusal dated 28 June 2019:

Reason was same as previous refusal and under paragraph 353 of the immigration rules was deemed as a REPEAT APPLICATION rather than a fresh claim, on the basis that my human right claims was previously considered and refused, hence no right of appeal. No discretion was exercised because most of my absences were holidays to my home country (Nigeria).

As at the date of decision, I had accrued 11 years & 10 months of leave based on the wording from my refusal letter (due to section 3C leave), but HO failed to consider the extra time spent in the U.K which would have reduced my absences.

• No criminal record/Convictions, deception and no more than 180 days in a 12 month period.

Further Steps:

• After the most recent refusal, and with no right of appeal, my solicitor advised to apply for Judicial Review (JR). Before issuing JR, I submitted a pre-action protocol letter (PAP) on 25 July 2019 and decision was maintained by HO on 26 July 2019.

• JR application was then issued on 30/09/2019.

• Permission refused on papers on 29/10/2019.

• Renewed for Oral hearing and was listed for hearing at the Upper Tribunal on 22 November 2019. Permission granted to proceed with application for Judicial Review.

• Signed consent order received on 16 December 2019, withdrawing the decision of 28 June 2019, and agreeing to make a new decision within 3 months. Sealed on 18 December 2018.

Questions regarding my pending application:

1) As HO as now agreed to reconsider my in-time application of 30 January 2019, which was refused when 3C was engaged, do I still have 3C leave as of today?

2) Will the act of 3C leave extend my continuous Residence for the purpose of Set (LR)?

3) Have I become an overstayer at any point?

4) As of the date of the sealed consent order, and counting 10 years backwards from then, I would have been out of the country for less than 540 days which was the main reason for the two refusals. Will HO consider this whilst being under 3C leave on the date of decision any time from now?

*Note: Not eligible for any other routes such as FLR(FP) or Tier 2.

Essentially, what do you think my chances are in getting my ILR approved? I would appreciate any useful advice or opinions so I can have a back-up plan. Thanks for your help.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Complex ILR Long Residence Application

Post by zimba » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:22 pm

1) As HO as now agreed to reconsider my in-time application of 30 January 2019, which was refused when 3C was engaged, do I still have 3C leave as of today?
Yes
2) Will the act of 3C leave extend my continuous Residence for the purpose of Set (LR)?
Yes
3) Have I become an overstayer at any point?
Assuming they are reconsidering the original decision, no
4) As of the date of the sealed consent order, and counting 10 years backwards from then, I would have been out of the country for less than 540 days which was the main reason for the two refusals. Will HO consider this whilst being under 3C leave on the date of decision any time from now?
They should

Your problem is that there is evidence that you are not intending to live here permanently and spent a lot of time in your home country. HO can refuse your ILR for that alone, under the rules
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

DamzILR
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by DamzILR » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:06 pm

Hi Zimba! Thank you for your reply.

Yes, they are indeed reconsidering the original decision, as they withdrew the old decision and agreed to make a new one.

I came here as a 15 year old student. My parents live outside the U.K, so I had to travel for the full block of every summer & Christmas holidays to be with them up until I was 22 or so. I am now aged 28. I haven’t travelled out of the country for a single day since November 2015.

I obviously intend to settle in the U.K. and live here permanently. My parents have a house in London. I have a full U.K licence and a car that I finance every month. I am renting as a private tenant in Leeds where I currently live.

Most of my friends and attachments are here in the U.K, with some extended family like my Uncles and Aunts, which I all filled in the form.

lamatata
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by lamatata » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Very interesting case, I am currently in the similar situation regarding absence (700 days).
Please keep us posted OP

DamzILR
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by DamzILR » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:47 pm

lamatata wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:55 pm
Very interesting case, I am currently in the similar situation regarding absence (700 days).
Please keep us posted OP
How long have you been in the U.K. for? Have you applied for ILR yet? What’s your situation?

lamatata
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by lamatata » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:22 pm

I have been living in the UK since 2010, first entry was 10 Aug.
Two tier 2s between 2010 and 2018. Now I’m on a Tier 5 YMS until October 2020
My absence is well over 540 (~750), my plan is probably to study a Master this coming Oct and then PSW visa. The problem is I don’t have enough money to study so I’m trying to exercise discretion in this 10 years period. Basically I’m in trouble...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:25 pm

There is no discretion on the 540 days absence limit. I have yet to see a positive result from any member with excessive absences for ilr based on long residence, even due to compassionate circumstances.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lamatata
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by lamatata » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:46 pm

I think my best chance to stay in the country is probably the new Australian point system that Mr Johnson mentioned.
If I do what OP did and apply for ILR in Aug, I will just face rejections after rejections like he’s experiencing.

DamzILR
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by DamzILR » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 pm

lamatata wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:46 pm
I think my best chance to stay in the country is probably the new Australian point system that Mr Johnson mentioned.
If I do what OP did and apply for ILR in Aug, I will just face rejections after rejections like he’s experiencing.
Why haven’t you applied for ILR based on 5 years Tier 2 visa rather than long Residence? Have you been out of the UK for over 180 days at any single time?

lamatata
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by lamatata » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:49 pm

I have never had a Tier 2 job thats why. If I want to get a tier 2, my employer will have to conduct a LMT and most importantly raise my salary to 30k which is probably too high for my job.
What’s your situation regarding work/job now OP?

DamzILR
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by DamzILR » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 am

lamatata wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:49 pm
I have never had a Tier 2 job thats why. If I want to get a tier 2, my employer will have to conduct a LMT and most importantly raise my salary to 30k which is probably too high for my job.
What’s your situation regarding work/job now OP?
You mentioned that you had 2 Tier 2 visas between 2010 and 2018. How have you gotten these Tier 2 visas if your situation is as above?

lamatata
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by lamatata » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 am

Oh god, typo
I had two tier 4s I meant !!! Sorry

awais77ak
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by awais77ak » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:47 am

Your history is really complicated. The judicial review does not extend your leave under 3C but carry on pursuing your judicial review.

DamzILR
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by DamzILR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:55 pm

Hello everyone!

Great news regarding my complex case.

By the special grace of God and through the infinite mercy of his Son Jesus Christ, I have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain based on 10 years Long Residence. After a long battle with the home office since 2017 including 2 refusals, 1 dismissed appeal, and application for Judicial Review, I’ve just received my BRP from TNT courier service today (24/03/2020). Currently in the best of moods. :D :D :D

I still haven’t received my Passport/supporting documents & decision letter yet and my assumption was these gets sent out before the BRP gets issued. Hopefully, I receive them sooner than later.

My case is explicitly described above, but if anyone has any questions, I’ll be happy to help within my capacity.