ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship or Permanent Residence?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Chefhugo_20
Newly Registered
Philippines

Irish Citizenship or Permanent Residence?

Post by Chefhugo_20 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I saw a post on social media that applicant for citizenship requires valid GNIB card at the time of the citizenship ceremony. I am due to apply for citizenship at the start of May 2020. And my GNIB card is due to expire on mid October 2020. If all goes well with the application for my citizenship then on oath taking time my card will be expired for it will take 6 months minimum processing. What move should I do, should I need to apply for EU3 Permanent Residence first or should I apply Irish Citizenship first and apply after the EU3 Permanent Residence while waiting for my citizenship? I am holding an EUFam Stamp 4 .I hope you can help me in this matter. Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Irish Citizenship or Permanent Residence?

Post by littlerr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm

Realistically, there are very few applications where the applicants can be sworn in within 6 months. Therefore, you must apply for your EU3 as normal. There is no difference as to which one you should apply first. Apply for both as soon as they are available for you to apply.

Emu1990
Ireland

Post by Emu1990 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm
Realistically, there are very few applications where the applicants can be sworn in within 6 months. Therefore, you must apply for your EU3 as normal. There is no difference as to which one you should apply first. Apply for both as soon as they are available for you to apply.

I am a spouse of irish national on stamp 4 for 5 years in 2 months ... do I have to apply for Eu3 too for perminent resident..

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm

If you are married to an Irish national, you should be able to apply for citizenship after living here for 3 years, not 5 years.

You cannot apply for EU3 as that is for non-Irish EU citizens' spouses.

Emu1990
Ireland

Post by Emu1990 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm
If you are married to an Irish national, you should be able to apply for citizenship after living here for 3 years, not 5 years.

You cannot apply for EU3 as that is for non-Irish EU citizens' spouses.

Already applied citizenship almost 16 months no answer ..so I was thinking to apply for LTR ... could not find anything for permanent resident for spouses of Irish nationals..

Chefhugo_20
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by Chefhugo_20 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm
Thank you for your time to reply.

My main plan would be Ill send my application for Irish Citizenship and once I get back my passport and some documents that’s the time then I will send my application for EU3 Permanent Residency. Just to be safe. Do you think that will be ok?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Chefhugo_20 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm
My main plan would be Ill send my application for Irish Citizenship and once I get back my passport and some documents that’s the time then I will send my application for EU3 Permanent Residency. Just to be safe. Do you think that will be ok?
Sounds good to me. It takes less than 3 weeks for your passport to be returned for the citizenship application, so there shouldn't be any issue.

Chefhugo_20
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by Chefhugo_20 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:06 pm
Chefhugo_20 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm
Sounds good to me. It takes less than 3 weeks for your passport to be returned for the citizenship application, so there shouldn't be any issue.
Just one concern.Will the garda immigration don’t get curious or question that I’ll be applying two applications? Citizenship and Permanent Residency.

Chefhugo_20
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by Chefhugo_20 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:31 pm

I am on Stamp 4 Eufam and my visa expires by mid of October this year reached 5yrs & 5 1/2 months, is it ok to apply for EU3 form if in case Ill apply by end of May? After Ill send my Irish Citizenship application bu April?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:00 pm

The vast majority of EUFAM applicants will apply for the citizenship / EU3 around the same time, as both require 5 year's residency. It's perfectly fine. You can apply for them in any order as long as it's convenient for you.