ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA wants to get married with Illegal Immigrant!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

EEA wants to get married with Illegal Immigrant!

Post by alexjames2320 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:00 am

Hi Guys, my brother is from Greece and he wants to get married to a girl who is from Albania and she lives illegally here in the UK, they want to get married here and then she wants to apply for her Settled status so she can live with him legally.
Please help me with information regarding what steps they need to follow and what to do first. Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: EEA wants to get married with Illegal Immigrant!

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:50 am

On the face of it, marriage in the UK doesn't turn your status from illegal to legal.
You need to give notice at a Home Office approved registry office and she will be liable to interview and potentially detention.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:56 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:50 am
On the face of it, marriage in the UK doesn't turn your status from illegal to legal.
A marriage of convenience in the UK could turn enable the Home Office to change the brothers' status from legal to illegal.

If the couple married in the UK, and the brother is a qualified person, a valid marriage that is not one of convenience would change the girl's status to legal, unless there were some other reason to exclude her.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:45 pm

Please see the list of Designated Register Offices (click). Under the Immigration Act 2014 the Register Office must inform the Secretary of State as one of the couple is an overstayer.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.