ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IVF treatment

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Me007
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

IVF treatment

Post by Me007 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi to all, so my wife(spouse visa 2.5 years) who is from Pakistan and been in uk since early august 2017 has been told she will now have to pay for assisted conception treatment as the nhs regulations got changed in august 2017 and the health surcharge does not cover certain medical
procedures , so I was looking at the nhs regulations before then and as far I could see that this treatment was free for overseas patients so my question is does the new regulations apply to people that came before then as well ? Ie before specifically 21st august 2017 or does my case fall in the old regulations?
At the moment I have paid the initial payment to a have consultation with a nurse just to secure appointment

secret.simon

Re: IVF treatment

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:01 pm

Me007 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:09 pm
does the new regulations apply to people that came before then as well ?
Yes.

Regulation 13 of the National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) (Amendment) Regulations 2017 of 21st August 2017 specifically excluded "chargeable assisted conception services" from the purview of Regulation 11 of the original NHS Charging Regulations 2015, which exempted people whose latest immigration applications were decided before charging for overseas patients was brought into force.

Also see the Explanatory Memorandum for the 2017 Amendment Regulations, from Paragraph 7.36.

Also see this Mumsnet forum thread, which looks at alternatives, such as relocating to other countries for the purpose of IVF.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Me007
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: IVF treatment

Post by Me007 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:29 pm

So I went to a immigration solicitor to see if there was anything he could help me with in this matter , he had a look at the letter from hospital to see why the assisted conception be chargeable and the regulations from 2017 and pre 2017 , he has made a copy and will be writing a letter to home office to clarify the matter . He also told me regardless of when my wife came in to the uk it’s when home office received the case which was 2015 and the if the in the original surcharge the assisted conception was nhs funded then that what would apply to me regardless if they have changed the law now 2/3 weeks I will have to wait for a home office to reply then take it from there