ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation query as spouse of British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sdhawan
Newly Registered
India

British Citizenship questions

Post by Sdhawan » Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi - I have just got my ILR on 13th May 2019 and I am applying for Naturalisation as I am married to a British Citizen. I have already filled in the form, however, had one doubt and I am wondering if someone could please assist me.
My first UK visa stamp was dated June 2014 and I arrived in UK in July 2014 and got my ILR in May 2019 on a Tier 2 (General) Visa. Can I apply for naturalisation if I am married to a British Citizen for more than 3 years and have lived in the UK for approx 4 years and 10 months. Or do I have to wait for 2 months and complete 5 years? In the form, it asks for an address and then it asks if I have stayed at that address for 5 years, but I am 2 months short, so should I wait for 2 more months or can I enter my previous address of India till July 2014, as they only will consider the last 3 years in my case?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: General Discussion During Naturalisation Application Process

Post by CR001 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Sdhawan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 pm
Hi - I have just got my ILR on 13th May 2019 and I am applying for Naturalisation as I am married to a British Citizen. I have already filled in the form, however, had one doubt and I am wondering if someone could please assist me.
My first UK visa stamp was dated June 2014 and I arrived in UK in July 2014 and got my ILR in May 2019 on a Tier 2 (General) Visa. Can I apply for naturalisation if I am married to a British Citizen for more than 3 years and have lived in the UK for approx 4 years and 10 months. Or do I have to wait for 2 months and complete 5 years? In the form, it asks for an address and then it asks if I have stayed at that address for 5 years, but I am 2 months short, so should I wait for 2 more months or can I enter my previous address of India till July 2014, as they only will consider the last 3 years in my case?
Yes you can apply if you meet the requirements based on 3 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sdhawan
Newly Registered
India

Re: General Discussion During Naturalisation Application Process

Post by Sdhawan » Thu May 23, 2019 1:58 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:45 pm
Sdhawan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 pm
Yes you can apply if you meet the requirements based on 3 years residence.
Thank you so much for getting back to me. Just one last ques regarding the address. As I haven't completed 5 years in UK, can I mention my home address (India) as well? As it asks for an address where I have stayed for 5 years - should this be UK address only? Thanks.

Sdhawan
Newly Registered
India

British Citizenship questions

Post by Sdhawan » Fri May 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi - I have just got my ILR on 13th May 2019 and I am applying for Naturalisation as I am married to a British Citizen. I have already filled in the form, however, had few doubts and I am wondering if someone could please assist me.
1) My first UK visa stamp was dated June 2014 and I arrived in UK in July 2014 and got my ILR in May 2019 on a Tier 2 (General) Visa. Can I apply for naturalisation if I am married to a British Citizen for more than 3 years and have lived in the UK for approx 4 years and 10 months. Or do I have to wait for 2 months and complete 5 years? In the form, it asks for an address and then it asks if I have stayed at that address for 5 years, but I am 2 months short, so should I wait for 2 more months or can I enter my previous address of India till July 2014, as they only will consider the last 3 years in my case? It doesn't really say anything about UK address for 5 years, hence not sure if it should be a UK address or outside UK would work too?

2) I am flying outside UK in June for a month on a business trip, do I need to show that too in the form or I cannot show any travel plans for future dates?

3) What's the average timeline for getting the approval. Actually I am flying in June, will be back in July and then I have to fly again in Oct. Hence, just checking in to see if I should submit my application before flying in June or should I do it in July? And if I do it in July, then would 3 months be sufficient to get the approval and I would still be able to fly?

Thank you.

Sdhawan
Newly Registered
India

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by Sdhawan » Tue May 28, 2019 10:48 am

Hi - Hope you all had a good long weekend. I know you guys must be busy, however, can someone please get back to me. I only have 9 days before I fly and was thinking of submitting the application before that. Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:55 am

Sdhawan wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:30 pm
Hi - I have just got my ILR on 13th May 2019 and I am applying for Naturalisation as I am married to a British Citizen. I have already filled in the form, however, had few doubts and I am wondering if someone could please assist me.
1) My first UK visa stamp was dated June 2014 and I arrived in UK in July 2014 and got my ILR in May 2019 on a Tier 2 (General) Visa. Can I apply for naturalisation if I am married to a British Citizen for more than 3 years and have lived in the UK for approx 4 years and 10 months. Or do I have to wait for 2 months and complete 5 years? In the form, it asks for an address and then it asks if I have stayed at that address for 5 years, but I am 2 months short, so should I wait for 2 more months or can I enter my previous address of India till July 2014, as they only will consider the last 3 years in my case? It doesn't really say anything about UK address for 5 years, hence not sure if it should be a UK address or outside UK would work too?

2) I am flying outside UK in June for a month on a business trip, do I need to show that too in the form or I cannot show any travel plans for future dates?

3) What's the average timeline for getting the approval. Actually I am flying in June, will be back in July and then I have to fly again in Oct. Hence, just checking in to see if I should submit my application before flying in June or should I do it in July? And if I do it in July, then would 3 months be sufficient to get the approval and I would still be able to fly?

Thank you.
1. Your application is based on the 3 years residence immediately preceding the date of application. You only need your UK addresses.

2. No. Absence AFTER date of application is irrelevant. Note that HO can write to you for information or to send documents. Be mindful of this.

3. It varies from a couple of months, up to 6 months and sometimes longer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sdhawan
Newly Registered
India

Naturalisation query as spouse of British citizen

Post by Sdhawan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 am

Hi- I got my ILR in May 2019 (Tier 2 General) and I am also married to a British citizen since the last 4 years. I am applying for naturalization but I am confused about 2 things and I am wondering if someone could please assist:

1) My wife is in India since the last 9 months, as a family member is hospitalized. Can I still apply for naturalization, even when my wife is not in UK at the moment?

2) Is my spouse a naturalized citizen: My mother in law is a UK citizen by descent, but my wife was born in India hence has an Indian address on her passport. Would it be OKAY to click on NO for this ques? As she is not a naturalized citizen and would be considered by descent too.

Thank you.
SD

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation query as spouse of British citizen

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:36 am

1. Yes

2. How did she become British??

You could have applied in may last year as soon as you got ilr. There was no need to wait.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Sdhawan
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sdhawan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:36 am
1. Yes

2. How did she become British?? "My wife or my mother in law? My wife became a BC, as her mom was born in UK and stayed in UK for 18 yrs, however her daughter was born in India and as her mother had BC, she also got the citizenship"

You could have applied in may last year as soon as you got ilr. There was no need to wait. "I know, I shouldnt have waited for this long".

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Did your wife apply for citizenship registration using form UKM as born abroad before 1 January 1983 to a British mother or was your wife born after 1 January 1983?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Sdhawan
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sdhawan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:59 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:52 pm
Did your wife apply for citizenship registration using form UKM as born abroad before 1 January 1983 to a British mother or was your wife born after 1 January 1983? She was born in 1986. Would it be okay to click on No for this ques, as she is not a naturalised citizen?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:03 pm

Where was she born?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Sdhawan
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sdhawan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:26 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:03 pm
Where was she born?
in india

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:33 pm

If born to a British mother, then your wife is British by descent not naturalised as British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Sdhawan
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sdhawan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:20 am

CR001 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:33 pm
If born to a British mother, then your wife is British by descent not naturalised as British.
Perfect. Thank you so much for all your help.