ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to prove your BRITISH NATIONALITY

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

agkh
Newly Registered

How to prove your BRITISH NATIONALITY

Post by agkh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:26 am

Hi,

I am trying to register my son at the consulate, but they need to make sure I am british.

I have a british passport

I was born in UK, and have a birth certificate. but after 1981

Is this not enough proof that I am british national.

They are asking for my parents documentations, certificates of registrations, is that all neccessary.

At first, they asked if I had a registration number, how can I have one I was born thre not registered right?

What can i do, ??

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:51 am

If you were born in the United Kingdom or a qualifying territory wrote:If you were born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983

If you were born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983, you are a British citizen if at the time of your birth one of your parents was:

* a British citizen; or
* legally settled in the United Kingdom.
You have to supply evidence of the above.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

agkh
Newly Registered

Post by agkh » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:44 pm

Thank you vinny,

Is there any document I can apply for to keep as evidence I am a brit citizen, and not rely on my parent every time to prove this.

I can't beleive i'm being asked this, i've been living in the Uk all my life...

I have 5 brother's we all cannot fight over my dad's cert of registration, it will be even more difficult if each one of us lived in different part of the globe.

It seems to be easier for naturalization or regstereied citizen to prove it, rather than those born there...

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:30 am

A British citizen passport + U.K. birth certificate (whether before or after 1983) should be more than sufficient evidence.

What British mission is involved, as this demonstrates either stupidity or deliberate obstruction.

agkh
Newly Registered

Post by agkh » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 am

This is the Consulte in Alxandria, Egypt.
Thank you JAJ

I am on a tight deadline and it's not helping me at all to get my parents documentation is awfuly inconvenient

What can i do coz im running out of time?

I cannot tell them it's complete stupidity (well, i tried indirectly :roll: ) and why would they obstruct me?

please help a.s.a.p

BTW the lady said she needs to see the documents so she knows what to write in a certain section(??) of my son's birth certifiate???

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm

There is absolutely no reason why she needs to see these documents unless she wants to single-handledly review whether your British passport was issued in error.

Many embassy staff are very good but others are either ignorant of the law or have a bad attitude - or both. Locally engaged staff are often the worst in this respect.

Can you ask to speak to her supervisor or manager?

Do you have relatives in the U.K. who can make a formal complaint via their Member of Parliament (or are you an overseas voter yourself?)

Alternatively, can you get your parents to at least fax copies of the documents.

agkh
Newly Registered

Post by agkh » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi JAJ,

Thanks for the reply.

She's a local staff, but I even met the consular himself from England, and he said the same.

The wouldn't even accept copies, im stuck now in trying to get the docs sent over somehow.

I later on phoned cairo, and they said the same thing.

I guess it's new law. I will phone the FCO and check this.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:54 pm

It is not "new law". There has been no change in the law.

This is the form that the British Embassy Washington uses:
http://www.britainusa.com/consular/birthregapp.pdf

Your "documentary claim" to British citizenship is your U.K. birth certificate + British passport. This also proves that you are British "otherwise than by descent" and entitled to pass your citizenship on further.

There is absolutely no need for them to have any more information. If they refuse to engage in any meaningful dialogue, then you need to contact the Foreign Office in London:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/contact-us

Ask to speak to the Nationality & Consular Registration section. What you need to get is a. to speak to someone more senior in London who can sort out what is going on in Alexandria, and b. failing that, the details of how to make a formal written complaint.

Do you have an MP in the United Kingdom that you can contact?

1963British

Post by 1963British » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:00 am

I am assuming that you are trying to "register" your child in order to get them a British style birth certificate.

Keep in mind that you do not need to do this, your Child is a full British Citizen by descent, under the law.

Your full British passport is proof that you are a British Citizen.

Your Birth Certificate from the UK is proof that you are a British Citizen otherwise than by descent.

If you were British by descent, you would be unable to transmit citizenship to your children born outside the UK.

So is it possible for an individual born in the UK, that has been issued a British Passport to be a British Citizen by descent? I do not believe so, but there are others here who would be able to answer that better than I.

I would suggest an application for a child's British Citizen Passport instead. Your passport and birth certificate should work. If you still have a problem in your home country consider applying for the childs passport when you both are in the UK.

Your post indicates that one of your Parents was registered as a British Citizen or naturalized. I would suggest taking that document to a solicitor in the document and have ten copies made that are certified as true copies. You can then pass them to your siblings.

Do you know the parent in questions home office reference number from the certificate? If yes, they should be able to look it up.

Cheers,

agkh
Newly Registered

Post by agkh » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Hello and thank you.

I am british other than by decent. Proving these documents are not a problem, it's providing these document from half way aross the world, and courier special delivery is not cheap. (but i guess the cost of not getting these on time will be alot more headache and stress).

Another problem is time, I want to travel end of this month, my wife has the visa, just need the pasport for my son..I can add the son to the passport - I guess that will mean I have to dish out another 600 pounds for my sons visa applicaton! Then sort out his citizenship in UK.

The fact the consul will go on holiday for 2 weeks doesnt help either, since during this time the documents requested will arrive.

Although there are two consulates, I have to regiser the birth certificate in the city my son was born. I will find out if the consul in Cairo can sign the cert. I can't see why not, the British govt, FCO, Home Office, Embassy across the world are one big body - doesn't matter who signs it in the world, as long as they have the consul title on their name.

My mother got her citizenship 3 months after my birth - i don't know if that's any value to me.
So is it possible for an individual born in the UK, that has been issued a British Passport to be a British Citizen by descent?
My son will be british by decent, i'm guessing if my grandson was born outside the uk, he would not be a BC at all, depending on which country and who's his spouse is, his children can be stateless! I shall warn my son...