ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Medical treatment in the uk - emergency dentist

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

billybig
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Medical treatment in the uk - emergency dentist

Post by billybig » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi

I've researched this but cannot find an exact situation anywhere else.

My fiance visited the UK on a family visa (visit) and twice had teeth problems on her visit.
The first trip we went to a private dentist who we paid for there, and he prescribed some antibiotics with an NHS prescription which we then paid for.
The second trip was to an NHS Emergency Dentist service, which again we paid for up front (£21.80 or whatever the flat emergency rate is), plus they also prescribed another NHS prescription. This time for two items and we paid for both.

My question is does this need to be declared under the question "Have you ever received medical treatment in the UK?"

The examples stated don't specifically mention dentistry, plus given this is well known as a chargeable service, I had assumed they're not interested in this as it has to be paid up front.

Just making sure we don't get caught out.
thanks.

Jaune08
Mexico

Re: Medical treatment in the uk - emergency dentist

Post by Jaune08 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:19 pm

billybig wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:11 pm
My question is does this need to be declared under the question "Have you ever received medical treatment in the UK?"

The examples stated don't specifically mention dentistry, plus given this is well known as a chargeable service, I had assumed they're not interested in this as it has to be paid up front.

Just making sure we don't get caught out.
thanks.
My suggestion is, any treatment received in the UK should be declared to be on the safe side. You should enclose the dentist bill and the vouchers of the NHS paid prescription, even if the dentist has to be paid up front.

iwolga
United Kingdom

Post by iwolga » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:36 pm

I would also double check if the emergency appointment in Dental hospital is available to everyone at the rate of GBP 21.80. My gut feeling this might be a discounted rate for residents to whom NHS services are available.

billybig
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by billybig » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:54 am

thanks for the replies
As part of my research I found that GP's and dentists are classed as NHS Primary Care facilities.
Following this advice on the CAB (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/healt ... om-abroad/), I see that

"A patient doesn’t need to be “ordinarily resident” in the country to be eligible for NHS primary medical care – this only applies to secondary (hospital) care."

Then I read this:

"Charges
Even if you are accepted onto a GP or dentist's list of NHS patients, you have to pay charges for some things like prescription charges and dental treatment."

Then, following this advice on NHS website for visitors from abroad (outside EEA) (https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... n-england/), it says

"You will need to pay for some things such as eye tests, dental treatment and prescriptions, just like people who live in England."

So, I am actually quite confident that the price is both the same for UK and non-eea visitors (subsidised by the NHS). Seems like it's not very clear though.
Just seems odd on the application that they list 3 or 4 examples in brackets (like hospital) but don't mention dentists.