ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Naturalization without spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ascender89
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Applying for Naturalization without spouse

Post by ascender89 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:01 pm

Hi there,
My partner and I are from two different non-EU countries. In few months time we are eligible to apply for 5years route of ILR . I am considering applying for BC 12 months after acquiring the IRL as I do not have anyone left anymore in my home country and consider the UK as my home. My partner however is perfectly happy to settle in the UK with ILR and doesn't want to apply for BC as his country does not allow dual-citizenship. Well neither does mine, but I have nothing to lose in the country where I was born. Our children follow my partner's nationality, so they won't be applying for BC as well. So based on this, am I eligible to apply for BC on my own merit? I came here as Tier-4 dependent for nearly 5 years now and all our applications have been together including ILR in few months time. I have read it somewhere that the fact that an applicant's spouse is not applying for naturalization at the same time, may not show that the applicant intends to permanently settle in the UK and further evidence may be required. How can I convince the home office that I intend to permanently settle here? We do not own any property here yet and neither overseas. However my partner travels back to his home country few times a year to care for his elderly parents. which is why it would be unfair to ask him to give up his nationality. Any advice would be much appreciated. Tia.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for Naturalization without spouse

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:29 pm

Nonsense. Don't where you are reading this. There is NO requirement that your spouse must apply for citizenship.

Each person applying must meet the requirements individually. There is no "dependent" concept for citizenship.

You are overthinking.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ascender89
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Applying for Naturalization without spouse

Post by ascender89 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:42 pm

Thank you for your reply. I came to know about this requirement from the following article. Seems legit and they also have a published ebook on Naturalization.

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/natural ... ive-in-uk/

Anyway, I am happy to be proven wrong :D As I believe one should be able to apply for BC and get accepted regardless of their partner's choice.