ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents for spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mss9025
United Kingdom

Documents for spouse visa

Post by mss9025 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am

Hello everyone,

I am just beginning to start preparation to apply for a spouse visa. Been a silent reader for a long time and planning to apply by myself and with the help of the many very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.I have many many questions but I will start with a few here on my first post.

1. I've known my wife since 2008 but we married in 2016 in the UK. I was a student in the UK for five years as well. When showing proof of communication, should I show evidence since 2008 to date or just since marriage? I have very little (if any) evidence pre-2015 :/

2. What is a reasonable amount of Whatsapp screenshots to print out? Since printing everything is not practical, is one screenshot per week sufficient? Or should it be one from everyday (including call logs, this is still going to be a lot to cover 3 full years since marriage)? I do have a gap of a few days when it comes to call logs, because my phone doesn't save very old calls and I have missed taking screenshots of a few weeks.

3. She changed jobs last month and is now currently on a one year contract which may be extended at the end. Both jobs were well over the threshold. How would i have to deal with this?

4. She is currently living with her family but wants to move into an apartment in order to meet the accommodation requirement. Is it ok that she will have lived in the apartment only about a week or two at the time I submit my application?

Would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Documents for spouse visa

Post by seagul » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:45 pm

mss9025 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am
Hello everyone,

I am just beginning to start preparation to apply for a spouse visa. Been a silent reader for a long time and planning to apply by myself and with the help of the many very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum.I have many many questions but I will start with a few here on my first post.

1. I've known my wife since 2008 but we married in 2016 in the UK. I was a student in the UK for five years as well. When showing proof of communication, should I show evidence since 2008 to date or just since marriage? I have very little (if any) evidence pre-2015 :/

2. What is a reasonable amount of Whatsapp screenshots to print out? Since printing everything is not practical, is one screenshot per week sufficient? Or should it be one from everyday (including call logs, this is still going to be a lot to cover 3 full years since marriage)? I do have a gap of a few days when it comes to call logs, because my phone doesn't save very old calls and I have missed taking screenshots of a few weeks.

3. She changed jobs last month and is now currently on a one year contract which may be extended at the end. Both jobs were well over the threshold. How would i have to deal with this?

4. She is currently living with her family but wants to move into an apartment in order to meet the accommodation requirement. Is it ok that she will have lived in the apartment only about a week or two at the time I submit my application?

Kind regards.
1. From the date of beginning of your relationship
2.These are only required when both partners are living apart. Usually these should be attached as much as possible.
3. Through category B where she need to supply 12 months of payslips and corresponding bank statements and employer letter. In her case add 1st month of payslip from present job with 11 months of payslips from previous job.
4. No issue but ideally generate few proof of addresses on that new address before sending the application.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:56 pm

seagul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:45 pm
mss9025 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am
Hello everyone,

Kind regards.
1. From the date of beginning of your relationship
2.These are only required when both partners are living apart. Usually these should be attached as much as possible.
3. Through category B where she need to supply 12 months of payslips and corresponding bank statements and employer letter. In her case add 1st month of payslip from present job with 11 months of payslips from previous job.
4. No issue but ideally generate few proof of addresses on that new address before sending the application.
Thanks a lot for the response seagul. Please see some follow up questions to your responses. Highly appreciated.

1. Our relationship began in 2008 and then left to the UK in 2010 (Currently residing in Sri Lanka since 2017). So I have very little evidence covering 2008-2015. Will this be a significant issue?

2. Yes, we have now lived apart for close to 3 years. But I have a lot of evidence to cover this duration. I can easily print out 1000 pages worth of screenshots, but that seems unreasonable. Any advice on a reasonable number? Even one a week would be around 150 screenshots for the 3 years.

3. Perfect

4. Noted

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:20 pm

mss9025 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks a lot for the response seagul. Please see some follow up questions to your responses. Highly appreciated.

1. Our relationship began in 2008 and then left to the UK in 2010 (Currently residing in Sri Lanka since 2017). So I have very little evidence covering 2008-2015. Will this be a significant issue?

2. Yes, we have now lived apart for close to 3 years. But I have a lot of evidence to cover this duration. I can easily print out 1000 pages worth of screenshots, but that seems unreasonable. Any advice on a reasonable number? Even one a week would be around 150 screenshots for the 3 years.

1. There are plenty of other evidences which can be combined such as passport stamps/tickets, money sending receipts, emails, gift exchange etc.

2. No set limit for it as varies from case to case. You can download a picture framing software which can set 4-6 screenshots per page.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:00 pm

seagul wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:20 pm

1. There are plenty of other evidences which can be combined such as passport stamps/tickets, money sending receipts, emails, gift exchange etc.

2. No set limit for it as varies from case to case. You can download a picture framing software which can set 4-6 screenshots per page.
1. True, but finding a lot of such evidence during the mentioned period is not going to be possible for me :( At the time, I never anticipated that I would be in this position.

Since I had to give notice to the home office before getting married in the UK, does that not prove that the home office accepted my relationship was genuine up until that point?

2. Ok. I will try to search the forum for threads that have any information regarding a rough guideline.

Thank you again!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:48 am

mss9025 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:00 pm
Since I had to give notice to the home office before getting married in the UK, does that not prove that the home office accepted my relationship was genuine up until that point?
NO as the application will be dealt on its own merit.

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Hello everyone,

Got a few questions hoping to get some quick answers from the lovely people here. Here goes:

Financial

1. Is it ok that my sponsor is on fixed term (12 month) contract that is supposed to end in October 2020? She was on fixed contract with her previous job as well, but it kept getting extended. (Both are NHS jobs)

2. Since she is currently in new job and hasn’t worked for 6 months here, when calculating gross annual income, is it the addition of salaries from January 2020 to October 2020? (Since I am planning to apply in January)

3. Since she has to cover 12 months, do we need a letter of employment and contract from the previous job as well?

Accommodation

1. Is it ok that I, the applicant, pay the security deposit from my home country for the apartment we would be renting?

Many thanks.

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:54 am

Please?? anyone?? :(

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 pm

mss9025 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:36 pm
Hello everyone,

Got a few questions hoping to get some quick answers from the lovely people here. Here goes:

Financial

1. Is it ok that my sponsor is on fixed term (12 month) contract that is supposed to end in October 2020? She was on fixed contract with her previous job as well, but it kept getting extended. (Both are NHS jobs)

2. Since she is currently in new job and hasn’t worked for 6 months here, when calculating gross annual income, is it the addition of salaries from January 2020 to October 2020? (Since I am planning to apply in January)

3. Since she has to cover 12 months, do we need a letter of employment and contract from the previous job as well?

Accommodation

4. Is it ok that I, the applicant, pay the security deposit from my home country for the apartment we would be renting?

Many thanks.
1. Yes. Most importantly you should be earning sufficiently and if UKVI approaches your employer then should find you still be working there.

2. You have to apply under category B. She must have earned £18600 during the last 12 months and either earning £18600 per year at the time of application (if earning fixed wages) or should have earned at least £9300 (if variable income) from the last 6 months.
3. Only few members were asked about the employer letter from previous employer although it is not relevant.
4. No issue but the landlord/estate agent need to preserve it in deposit protection scheme in 30 days. The UK sponsor need to have tenancy agreement and noc letter and property inspection report (if none-related adults living there)

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:22 am

seagul wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 pm

3. Only few members were asked about the employer letter from previous employer although it is not relevant.
4. No issue but the landlord/estate agent need to preserve it in deposit protection scheme in 30 days. The UK sponsor need to have tenancy agreement and noc letter and property inspection report (if none-related adults living there)
Thank you so much for the response seagul.

1. The previous job only issued electronic payslips, so we would need a letter from that employer confirming the authenticity of the payslips, yes? Do these electronic payslips need to have an ink stamp from the employer in any way?

2. Is it a requirement to have the deposit with the landlord for 30 days before the visa application can be submitted? Or is it a requirement for them to issue the tenancy agreement?

3. Would I still need a property inspection report if my sponsor and I would be the sole occupiers of the apartment? (Expecting the landlord to add this part in their letter of no objection)

Thanks!!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 am

mss9025 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:22 am
seagul wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Thank you so much for the response seagul.

1. The previous job only issued electronic payslips, so we would need a letter from that employer confirming the authenticity of the payslips, yes? Do these electronic payslips need to have an ink stamp from the employer in any way?

2. Is it a requirement to have the deposit with the landlord for 30 days before the visa application can be submitted? Or is it a requirement for them to issue the tenancy agreement?

3. Would I still need a property inspection report if my sponsor and I would be the sole occupiers of the apartment? (Expecting the landlord to add this part in their letter of no objection)

Thanks!!
1. If the E-payslips aren't pacifically marked as online and having the employer name & logo and in pdf format then can be uploaded without printing/stamping.

2. That is not relevant to visa application but every landlord now have to secure it in that deposit protection scheme because otherwise they can't serve section 21 notice.

3. In that case it won't be needed.

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:03 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 am

1. If the E-payslips aren't pacifically marked as online and having the employer name & logo and in pdf format then can be uploaded without printing/stamping.

2. That is not relevant to visa application but every landlord now have to secure it in that deposit protection scheme because otherwise they can't serve section 21 notice.

Thank you so much seagul. You're an absolute star!

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:13 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 am

Hi, hoping to find some answers for a few more questions I've got. Thanks in advance!

1. Do the bank statements have to cover the entire month? My sponsor gets paid on 26th of every month, but HSBC issues bank statements on the 21st of each month. So, there is quite a big offset and getting both within 28 days is going to be really tight. So was wondering since the January 2020 salary will show up in the Feb bank statement, is it ok to show just 2/3 weeks from February just to show that the January salary has gone in, since I am planning to apply before the 21st of Feb?? Hope that makes sense :/

2. For English requirement, I have both a BEng and MSc that were taught in the UK. Is it enough to only submit my degree certificate/s, or do I also need to submit academic transcripts?

3. I have 2 visit visa refusals from 2017. I will of course be declaring them on the application, but is it mandatory to submit the refusal letters? Even if it is not, is it better to do so?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:08 am

mss9025 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:13 pm
1. Do the bank statements have to cover the entire month? My sponsor gets paid on 26th of every month, but HSBC issues bank statements on the 21st of each month. So, there is quite a big offset and getting both within 28 days is going to be really tight. So was wondering since the January 2020 salary will show up in the Feb bank statement, is it ok to show just 2/3 weeks from February just to show that the January salary has gone in, since I am planning to apply before the 21st of Feb?? Hope that makes sense :/
The banks statements submitted have to cover the period of employment you are using in support of your application, they do not necessarily have to cover a complete month. So yes, you could get a statement from your bank covering just a few weeks to show that your salary comes in rather than wait until the regular statement is issued. Some banks seem to issue partial statements on demand, others you can get an electronic statement issued and then have the bank stamp every page or have them issue a letter confirming the document is authentic.
mss9025 wrote:
2. For English requirement, I have both a BEng and MSc that were taught in the UK. Is it enough to only submit my degree certificate/s, or do I also need to submit academic transcripts?
The specified evidence for degree qualifications listed in Appendix FM-SE is the degree certificate. Transcripts are only accepted as evidence if the applicant is awaiting graduation or no longer has the certificate and a new one cannot obtain a new one. SO the transcripts are probably unnecessary to submit in your case.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... d-evidence
mss9025 wrote:
3. I have 2 visit visa refusals from 2017. I will of course be declaring them on the application, but is it mandatory to submit the refusal letters? Even if it is not, is it better to do so?
I think it would be reasonable to assume that they would have access to them already so just declaring them should be sufficient. I believe there may also be a spot in the application for you to put in any old UKVI/Home Office reference numbers from previous applications so you could put the relevant information there or list it elsewhere in the application.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm

geoeng wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:08 am
mss9025 wrote:
The banks statements submitted have to cover the period of employment you are using in support of your application, they do not necessarily have to cover a complete month. So yes, you could get a statement from your bank covering just a few weeks to show that your salary comes in rather than wait until the regular statement is issued. Some banks seem to issue partial statements on demand, others you can get an electronic statement issued and then have the bank stamp every page or have them issue a letter confirming the document is authentic.
mss9025 wrote:
The specified evidence for degree qualifications listed in Appendix FM-SE is the degree certificate. Transcripts are only accepted as evidence if the applicant is awaiting graduation or no longer has the certificate and a new one cannot obtain a new one. SO the transcripts are probably unnecessary to submit in your case.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... d-evidence
mss9025 wrote:
I think it would be reasonable to assume that they would have access to them already so just declaring them should be sufficient. I believe there may also be a spot in the application for you to put in any old UKVI/Home Office reference numbers from previous applications so you could put the relevant information there or list it elsewhere in the application.
That's great. Thank you so much geoeng. Really appreciate it!

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi, got a few more questions. Would really appreciate some advice.

1. My sponsor has ILR and holds a Sri Lanka passport. Do I need to provide a copy of every page on her passport or just pages with visas or entry/ exit stamps?

2. Do I have to provide copy of every page on my passport? Or just the pages with visas or entry/ exit stamps?

3. Applying on financial category B since sponsor hasn't been with same employer for more than 6 months. Although she received a basic salary from her previous job and current job, she also did and does overtime so the salary varies each month (for the past 12 months). Would this go under salaried or unsalaried?

4. How much detail should be provided about the overtime in the employer letter? Exact numbers or just a general statement confirming overtime?

5. In April, 2019 she had a pay rise for the same job so the annual salary on the payslip changes from this month onwards. Should this be addressed in the employer letter?

6. In August, 2019, she received two payslips because she opted out of the pension scheme. So in addition to her monthly salary she received an additional 188 pounds on a separate payslip for the same month as a refund. Is it ok to not include this pension refund? It will still be visible on the bank statements though. Or should it be included and addressed in the sponsor cover letter?

Thanks a bunch!

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:44 am

mss9025 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:16 pm

1. My sponsor has ILR and holds a Sri Lanka passport. Do I need to provide a copy of every page on her passport or just pages with visas or entry/ exit stamps?

2. Do I have to provide copy of every page on my passport? Or just the pages with visas or entry/ exit stamps?

3. Applying on financial category B since sponsor hasn't been with same employer for more than 6 months. Although she received a basic salary from her previous job and current job, she also did and does overtime so the salary varies each month (for the past 12 months). Would this go under salaried or unsalaried?

4. How much detail should be provided about the overtime in the employer letter? Exact numbers or just a general statement confirming overtime?

5. In April, 2019 she had a pay rise for the same job so the annual salary on the payslip changes from this month onwards. Should this be addressed in the employer letter?

6. In August, 2019, she received two payslips because she opted out of the pension scheme. So in addition to her monthly salary she received an additional 188 pounds on a separate payslip for the same month as a refund. Is it ok to not include this pension refund? It will still be visible on the bank statements though. Or should it be included and addressed in the sponsor cover letter?

Thanks a bunch!
1. & 2. Just the pages with stamps and visas should be fine to confirm any information you are giving them on travel history.

3. Overtime is considered separate from base salary, so it should still fall under salaried. See page 31 of the guidance document for details on how the calculation works.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf

4. I would suggest including as much detail as possible (e.g. number of hours and income from overtime on each payslip).

5. Yes, worth mentioning.

6. The financial requirement is based on gross income, so deductions and any associated refunds won't matter. Probably worth mentioning in the cover letter though as an explanation for the extra deposit on the banks statements, just to keep things clear.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:53 pm

geoeng wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:44 am
mss9025 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks a bunch!
1. & 2. Just the pages with stamps and visas should be fine to confirm any information you are giving them on travel history.

3. Overtime is considered separate from base salary, so it should still fall under salaried. See page 31 of the guidance document for details on how the calculation works.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf

4. I would suggest including as much detail as possible (e.g. number of hours and income from overtime on each payslip).

5. Yes, worth mentioning.

6. The financial requirement is based on gross income, so deductions and any associated refunds won't matter. Probably worth mentioning in the cover letter though as an explanation for the extra deposit on the banks statements, just to keep things clear.
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond geoeng. Just a follow up if you don't mind.

I've seen on here that the previous employer letter is irrelevant to the application. But I am still planning on getting one. Just in case there is an issue with obtaining a letter from former employer with all the overtime details and pay rise, what would be the best way to address these points within the application?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:10 pm

mss9025 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:53 pm
Just in case there is an issue with obtaining a letter from former employer with all the overtime details and pay rise, what would be the best way to address these points within the application?
If you can't get a previous employer to do a letter, including the details in a cover letter you write yourself would probably be the next best thing. The idea would just be to make your situation clear to those reviewing the application so they aren't looking only at payslips and banks statements and trying to figure out why the amounts change.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:27 pm

Also, if you have documents e.g. emails or letters showing that you requested for such and the employer or company decline providing you can include such correspondence as part of evidence to support your application.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:56 pm

mss9025 wrote:

I've seen on here that the previous employer letter is irrelevant to the application. But I am still planning on getting one. Just in case there is an issue with obtaining a letter from former employer with all the overtime details and pay rise, what would be the best way to address these points within the application?
Its always wise to take an employer letter from previous employer before leaving if the visa/extension will be applied in less than 6 months. Still without it visa/extension won't be denied.

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:08 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:56 pm
mss9025 wrote:

Its always wise to take an employer letter from previous employer before leaving if the visa/extension will be applied in less than 6 months. Still without it visa/extension won't be denied.
Thanks seagul. Got a couple more questions for you and geoeng please.

1. Just to confirm, I will need 12 payslips in total, yes? i.e. in my case February 2019 to January 2020 (inclusive of these months) along with bank statements covering these specific months?

2. I am applying from Sri Lanka (VFS). Spouse/ sponsor lives in Manchester. After I complete the online application and make the payment, can she go to the Manchester walk-in centre to scan all the documents for £75?? This is what I planned for, and even sent the documents to her, but read on the forum that this may not be an option to me?

3. If she can go to the Manchester centre for scanning, does this have to be done before I enrol my biometrics? Or does it not matter?

4. Regarding the Appendix 2 form, will this also be scanned along with the rest of the documents? Or do I have to take it with me to my biometrics appointment?

Thank you!

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:01 pm

Hello everyone, need some urgent advice please.

I require 12 months of bank statements from my sponsor since category B. We have proper statements from HSBC that were posted to sponsor from September 2019 onwards. However, we will have to print out statements from February 2019 to September 2019.

This is where HSBC are being very difficult. They say they can only provide a letter stating those online copies are authentic. They refused to post these required statements and also refused to stamp each page, claiming this is all they do for immigration matters.

Could someone please tell me if just a letter from the bank would be enough? Is there anything else I could do?

Thank you.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 pm

mss9025 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:01 pm
They refused to post these required statements
Better to call/visit them again because that is incorrect because any customer can request the copy/duplicate statement to be sent at his postal address. Also check your online banking inbox where you might have the pdf formatted bank statements which usually look exactly same as the official paper statements and these can be used as well.

mss9025
United Kingdom

Post by mss9025 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:53 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 pm
mss9025 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:01 pm
They refused to post these required statements
Better to call/visit them again because that is incorrect because any customer can request the copy/duplicate statement to be sent at his postal address. Also check your online banking inbox where you might have the pdf formatted bank statements which usually look exactly same as the official paper statements and these can be used as well.
Thanks for your prompt reply seagul. They did print the statements on the spot and they look identical to the online statement we have access to. And nowhere does it say that it's an online/ duplicate copy. The only addition is that they have provided a short letter with account information e.g. account holder's name, account number, date account opened etc. They have said this is all we would need for immigration matters. I'm guessing this would be ok then???