ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mariage outside the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Loulou65
Newly Registered
Canada

Mariage outside the UK

Post by Loulou65 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi all,

I have a question. I'm on a 33 months spouse/partner visa in the UK. We had planned to get married 2 years ago but were told we couldn't get married in the UK with that visa. We're going to Canada in a few months and were thinking of getting married there. Would that be a problem coming back to the UK and what do we need to do once we are married? Do we need to go to the UK embassy or something? I'm Canadian, he's from UK. Thanks for your help,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Mariage outside the UK

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Who told you that??

Of course you can get married if you are in the UK as an unmarried partner of the person you want to marry as long as you have a valid visa
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Loulou65
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Loulou65 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:31 pm

We were told by both the Registrar and Home Office that we couldn't get married in the UK. We had everything booked to get married but when they saw the visa we had they said, sorry we can't marry you. The woman then called HO to make sure and they told her the same thing. That's why we're thinking of getting married in Canada now. Plus, with my parents being in their 80's, it would make it possible for them to be there. Just wondered what we needed to do to make this happen

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:33 pm

You have been wrongly advised, assuming you want to marry the person who sponsored your visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Loulou65
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Loulou65 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 pm

LOL Yes I do.. but we're going to Canada anyways so... do you know what we need if we decide to get married there? :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:52 pm

The only thing you will need to do is apply for a brp card if you change your name and your foreign passport
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Loulou65
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Loulou65 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:03 pm

Ok that sounds simple enough. Would we need to go the the British embassy to have the marriage recognised or registered?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:05 pm

Would we need to go the the British embassy to have the marriage recognised or registered?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Loulou65
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Loulou65 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:25 pm