ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Request for suggesstion

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

forlondon
Newly Registered

Request for suggesstion

Post by forlondon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi All,

I am in UK on HSMP and wasn't able to get any work for 4 months.
After that got a three month contract paying 200/day. Contract will end in September and yesterday my PM told me that they will renew it for next three months.
On the other side, I got an offer from an Indian IT company to work here paying 31000/year. This is a permanent job and no fear that they will send me back to India as the client wants the team to be only in UK.

I am not able to decide whether to take this permanent job or continue with the contract job. Thinking about being out of work for 4 months, I feel taking the permanent job. I am more inclined towards a permanent job although it pays less as I feel secure with that.

Please provide your suggestions so that I can decide which way to proceed.

Thanks in advance to all.

netacct

Post by netacct » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:28 pm

What are your skills?

It looks like Permanent will be better in your case for two reasons.

1. 200/day is not a good contract rate and 31K permanent is good
2. You were out of work for 4 months which means it is tough to get a job

I would suggest go with Permanent and work for a year or so.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:00 pm

netacct wrote:What are your skills?

It looks like Permanent will be better in your case for two reasons.

1. 200/day is not a good contract rate and 31K permanent is good
2. You were out of work for 4 months which means it is tough to get a job

I would suggest go with Permanent and work for a year or so.
Disagree
200*5days for 6 months=26k
31k prorated for 6 months is 15.5K
so you are ahead with the contract job.

Even if you figure it out for a year and include the lack of work for 4 months
8 months of contract work equals 34.6K, he is still ahead with contract work compared to 1 year of permanent contract salary.

taiwookunade
Newly Registered

Post by taiwookunade » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:11 am

I totally disagree with republique. Pay is not the only thing you consider when making this kind of decision. The fact that your job is secure should be enough to convince you that taking a permanent job is a better option compared to contract. The terms of a contract job usually make it possible for employers to terminate appointment just by giving very short notice, which is not possible in a confirmed permanent appointment.

You may also want to consider other benefits such as holiday, sick leave and pay, study support which are associated with permanent jobs. Even the gap between leaving one contract job and securing another may not be too attractive of CVs.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:17 pm

taiwookunade wrote:I totally disagree with republique. Pay is not the only thing you consider when making this kind of decision. The fact that your job is secure should be enough to convince you that taking a permanent job is a better option compared to contract. The terms of a contract job usually make it possible for employers to terminate appointment just by giving very short notice, which is not possible in a confirmed permanent appointment.

You may also want to consider other benefits such as holiday, sick leave and pay, study support which are associated with permanent jobs. Even the gap between leaving one contract job and securing another may not be too attractive of CVs.
Ah no, permanent work, you can be dismissed the same day so there is no security in a "permanent" job.
As for other benefits, as a contractor you can minimize the deductions and have more left over than you would as a permanent employee and more than make up for sick leave and holiday.
Gaps between contracts are understood with contractors.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:16 pm

republique wrote:
taiwookunade wrote:I totally disagree with republique. Pay is not the only thing you consider when making this kind of decision. The fact that your job is secure should be enough to convince you that taking a permanent job is a better option compared to contract. The terms of a contract job usually make it possible for employers to terminate appointment just by giving very short notice, which is not possible in a confirmed permanent appointment.

Ah no, permanent work, you can be dismissed the same day so there is no security in a "permanent" job.
As for other benefits, as a contractor you can minimize the deductions and have more left over than you would as a permanent employee and more than make up for sick leave and holiday.
Gaps between contracts are understood with contractors.
As a contractor myself I agree. Plus the transient nature of contracting means you can quit in an instant when that dream permie job comes along, whilst others have to serve their one of three months notice.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Stick with contract for next 6 month if you can, and then hunt for Permanent job then you will get good permanent job based on your Uk market exposure. While on contract try to improve your skills as much as you can. Hope this helps
Kaff