ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help with clarification of citizenship via descent.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fusion skies
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Help with clarification of citizenship via descent.

Post by fusion skies » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Hi, I know there are quite a number of forums regarding this topic, but I have a few questions that I would like to get some clarification on, since immigration law surrounding Ireland is tricky since at one point it was considered part of the UK.

Here’s my mother’s lineage. She has links on both of her parents side, however her fathers side has a more recent connection.

G-GF - Born in Ireland (1858)
Grandmother - Born in UK (1884)
Father - Born in UK (1921, before creation of the Irish Free State)
Herself - Born in UK (April 1956, before creation of the FBR)

Is there any conceivable way that my Mother could claim citizenship via descent/association?
Her grandmother was born in the UK, but since she was born to an Irish born parent, and also all of them were born before the creation of the FBR, does this grant her a way claim to Irish citizenship?

Many thanks.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Re: Help with clarification of citizenship via descent.

Post by fuzzbizz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:30 pm

It can be assumed that "born in the UK" means "born in Britain" and not Northern Ireland, right?
The tool at
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/citizen ... r-descent/ should sort it out, but without an FBR entry might not pan out.

Of course, if you're British you could just come live here for 5 years...

"""
You may be entitled to Irish citizenship

Your answers indicate that you may be entitled to Irish citizenship because one of your great-grandparents was born on the island of Ireland. This entitlement is not affected by where you were born.

To become an Irish citizen, your great-grandparent's grandchild (ie your parent) who is of Irish descent must have registered in the Foreign Births Register between the years 1956 and 1986, or if you were born after 1986 they registered before you were born. The Foreign Births Register is managed by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
"""

fusion skies
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fusion skies » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:22 pm

Hi, yes that is right, not Northern Ireland.

fusion skies
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fusion skies » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:26 pm

fuzzbizz wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:30 pm

To become an Irish citizen, your great-grandparent's grandchild (ie your parent) who is of Irish descent must have registered in the Foreign Births Register between the years 1956 and 1986, or if you were born after 1986 they registered before you were born. The Foreign Births Register is managed by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
"""
Going by this, if my mother was born before the creation of the FBR, she couldn't have registered, not sure where this leads her?

I know I can't get it, but if I had a child, they would be able to claim through her, if I am right in thinking?

fusion skies
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fusion skies » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:56 pm

Any one else got citizenship via their ggf/m?

I'm curious to know.

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:40 am

fusion skies wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:56 pm
Any one else got citizenship via their ggf/m?

I'm curious to know.
I've not heard of a single successful FBR application through great grandparents. Have you combed both of the FBR threads on this board to see if anyone has? One thread is locked and one is new but they both have quite a bit of info.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 am

I don't think you need to have been born after the FBR was created to register on the FBR, though I am by no means an expert! For instance, some people at the US embassy a few months ago were getting a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for their teenage kid, and I thought it was a similar sort of thing.