ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What would be the future of pre-settlement status?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

docado
Scotland

What would be the future of pre-settlement status?

Post by docado » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 am

Hi All,
I felt the need to initiate a thread on the future of pre-settlement status. There would be many members in this forum who came into UK slightly before the Brexit date and many will come during the transion period. Many of us are being granted pre-settled status and our non-eu members incl. EFMs granted pre-settled status. I want to know the opinions of you about, What would be the future of this pre-settled status holders? For example, in 2025 in order to get permanent residence or settled status or ILR what would be the procedure, is it known or still unknown? Many of us have brought older non-eu dependent parents into UK in this settlement scheme how would they pass Life in UK tests in order to get an ILR? Please highlight this topic I hope it will help me understand the pre-settlement status future better.

kamoe
European Union

Re: What would be the future of pre-settlement status?

Post by kamoe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:50 pm

docado wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 am
What would be the future of this pre-settled status holders? For example, in 2025 in order to get permanent residence or settled status or ILR what would be the procedure, is it known or still unknown?
As far as I understand (I remember reading somewhere but i'm afraid I can't find where) that provisions will be in place to guarantee that anyone having applied to the Settlement Scheme by the deadline of June 2021 has route to acquire ILR/Settled Status in the UK at a later date.

it is not unreasonable to think this will be in line with other Tier-based immigration routes, that were closed for new applicants at one point in time (e.g. Tier 1 general closed in 2010) but remained open for extension for existing holders during a transition period (until 2015), to make sure there was an option for people caught in-between changes of regulations to have a way of completing the requirements for ILR.

It is also not unreasonable to think the simplest form this will take is for the current Settlement Scheme to remain open and available after June 2021 (e.g. an exclusive application specifically for people with Pre-Settled Status, open until June 2026 for example), and this only for people with a valid previous application number. So after June 2021 still open for people with at least Pre-Settled Status, closed for people who did not apply by June 2021, or who moved to the UK after that date.
Many of us have brought older non-eu dependent parents into UK in this settlement scheme how would they pass Life in UK tests in order to get an ILR? Please highlight this topic I hope it will help me understand the pre-settlement status future better.
My two cents here is that, as said above, I believe the Settlement Scheme will remain open for people with Pre-settled status until at least 2026, which means you won't need to go through the non-EU ILR route that requires a life in the UK test. This is only my opinion, though.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

docado
Scotland

Re: What would be the future of pre-settlement status?

Post by docado » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:36 am

kamoe wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:50 pm
docado wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:30 am
What would be the future of this pre-settled status holders? For example, in 2025 in order to get permanent residence or settled status or ILR what would be the procedure, is it known or still unknown?
As far as I understand (I remember reading somewhere but i'm afraid I can't find where) that provisions will be in place to guarantee that anyone having applied to the Settlement Scheme by the deadline of June 2021 has route to acquire ILR/Settled Status in the UK at a later date.

it is not unreasonable to think this will be in line with other Tier-based immigration routes, that were closed for new applicants at one point in time (e.g. Tier 1 general closed in 2010) but remained open for extension for existing holders during a transition period (until 2015), to make sure there was an option for people caught in-between changes of regulations to have a way of completing the requirements for ILR.

It is also not unreasonable to think the simplest form this will take is for the current Settlement Scheme to remain open and available after June 2021 (e.g. an exclusive application specifically for people with Pre-Settled Status, open until June 2026 for example), and this only for people with a valid previous application number. So after June 2021 still open for people with at least Pre-Settled Status, closed for people who did not apply by June 2021, or who moved to the UK after that date.
Many of us have brought older non-eu dependent parents into UK in this settlement scheme how would they pass Life in UK tests in order to get an ILR? Please highlight this topic I hope it will help me understand the pre-settlement status future better.
My two cents here is that, as said above, I believe the Settlement Scheme will remain open for people with Pre-settled status until at least 2026, which means you won't need to go through the non-EU ILR route that requires a life in the UK test. This is only my opinion, though.
Hi Kamoe,
Thank you very much indeed. I really appreciate your reply. In addition, I take this opportunity to acknowledge that I have read through many threads and I found your opinions very logical, precise and to-the-point.You make alot of sense. God bless you. Thanks